+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern Miss signed manslaughter felon

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: Southern Miss signed manslaughter felon

Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    I think somebody should have shot him and we wouldn't be having this discussion and Southern Miss would be giving the scholarship to someone more deserving.
    Right back to Les Miserables:

Laborer You broke the law
    It's there for people to see
    Why should you get the same
    As honest men like me?

It is a legalistic attitude for you to determine who is deserving and who is not.

Don, I'm glad you have never needed grace. I sure have. I, nor my children, are no more deserving that an ex-con. He has paid his debt.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Did anybody stop to think that maybe this guy was set up? Maybe, just maybe, he was trying to slide his foot under the guy's head before it hit the ground, but his timing was off.
    Thanks for the chuckle.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg
    I'd give an ex-con a chance before an illegal alien.
    I agree. Let's quit making them illegal.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    Mike, I don't know which side your on... lol, it sounds like your telling me that i'm wrong, yet you say that you agree with giving the guy another chance. For everyone's information.... 17 year olds are legally adults here in LA, so he would have been tried as an adult. And kids DO learn more, and are smarter at 17-18 than 14-15. If you don't believe that, go to a local high school and observe the kids hanging around, go talk to them and prove me wrong. Now with that said, nothing excuses what he did, and I personally wish that he would have been locked up until he was 21, but that didn't happen. We must remember.. he'll only go away from the thing that the DA's don't have to work hard on. Like I said earlier, Manslaughter - guilty, no question. Murder - (also guilty) but the DA would have to work HARD to convince every member of the jury that he had the intentions of killing him when he kicked. The Defense will find a way with their words to put that a small doubt in the jury's heads. It SUCKS! I hate those kind of lawyers, and just wish that they'd go jump off a bridge holding each other's hands, but once again... that won't happen.

Holy Crap, I just went and looked for the whole story. http://www.jamesblatt.com/athleteconviction.htm There was another kid that got his sentence reduced to a misdemeanor just so he could go and play football for Oregon. He only got 1 year in prison. The Raines kid and another kid still were convicted of felonies and got 4 years of jail time. So now which one is fair??

We got a 14 year old juvenile the other day that found a gun on the side of the road with some friends and decided to start shooting in into a neighborhood block party. I can't say what he was charged with, but even told the kid that he was getting off light. The officer that brought him in just said, "That's how things are now days, and we have to deal with it until we start taking power away from the lawyers. They are screwing up the whole system and it makes some people in law enforcement lose their passion." How can you argue with what he said?

I wish that USM would allow him on the football team, but NOT give him the scholarship. Escpecially considering that in giving that guy his scholarship, they had to deny someone else that didn't have that kind of thing hanging over his head. This is how I would feel if this guy were to come to Tech, play as a walk on. Earn your spot on the roster.

For the people that want to red light me, please tell me what it is that you disagree with. I wouldn't care if it read something like "read (screen name) post for my disaproval. Did I say something offensive? Do you just disagree? I'm open-minded and love hearing both sides of things, so bring it! I LOVE this stuff!
    I believe that once your do your time, you should be given a second chance. However, I disagree with using the "juvenile" argument to somehow reduce the mental aspect of the crime.

Now I definitely disagree with your promotion of police vigilantiism. If I have to choose between a system with police officers having more power (the executive branch) in the system as opposed to lawyers (judicial branch), I will continue to take my chances with the lawyers. The passion you talk about with police officers is also concerning to me. What passion? Is it the passion to make everything in the world right and just? Well the problem with allowing this passion to go unchecked is the natural tendency for police officers to go on power trips. I mean, come on, haven't you seen "Training Day?" Lawyers are the device used to check this power.

Taking anyone's freedom is a very serious thing. Our founder's understood this and set up the system to give the defendant every benefit of the doubt. Police have their roles in the system just like the DA's, judges, juries, and the defense attorneys. I think our system is not perfect--some people who are guilty escape conviction and some people are wrongly convicted. But it is the only viable system that can protect individuals from the government.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    The following is an excerpt from the musical Les Miserables. John Valjean has served nineteen years for a crime he had committed. After he was released from prison, he was trying to find a job and a place to stay. The people would refuse him work, and on the one occasion when he did find work, they didn't pay him fairly. The people in the town treated him worse than a dog. In fact, after he tried every place in town to sleep, he was refused, and he tried an old shed. There was a dog in the shed, and he was even chased out of the shed:

Farmer You'll have to go I'll pay you off for the day
    Collect your bits and pieces there
    And be on your way.

Valjean You've given me half
    What the other men get!
    This handful of tin Wouldn't buy my sweat!

Laborer You broke the law It's there for people to see
    As honest men like me?

Valjean Now every door is closed to me
    Another jail, another key, another chain
    For when I come to any town
    They check my papers And they find the mark of Cain
    In their eyes, I see their fear:
    `We do not want you here.' [He comes to an inn.]

Innkeeper's Wife My rooms are full
    And I've no supper to spare
    I'd like to help a stranger
    All we want is to be fair

Valjean I will pay in advance
    I can sleep in a barn
    You see how dark it is
    I'm not some kind of dog!

Innkeeper You leave my house
    Or feel the weight of my rod
    We're law-abiding people here
    Thanks be to God. [They throw him out.]

Valjean And now I know how freedom feels
    The jailer always at your heels It is the law!
    This piece of paper in my hand
    That makes me cursed throughout the land
    It is the law!
    Like a cur I walk the street
    The dirt beneath my feet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Valjean steal some silver after he was released?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Valjean steal some silver after he was released?
    Valjean did, in fact, steal silver after he was not allowed to make an honest living. He did not steal from an employer. He was wrong to steal the silver, but after he was showed grace by the bishop, the person from whom he stole the silver, he made his decision for Christ and turned his life around. In fact, the bishop not only gave Valjean the silver that was stolen, he gave Valjean some candle sticks that Valjean missed.

That is the very reason Southern Miss was right to give this young man a chance to turn his life around. The man has served his time, and we need to help him become an honest and law abiding man by showing him grace.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Yes .... but he repaid that debt from his subsequent fortune, and never stole again.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Dang ... Sooner beat me too it.

As in all things, the novel is better than the movie/musical.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Right back to Les Miserables:

Laborer You broke the law
    It's there for people to see
    As honest men like me?

It is a legalistic attitude for you to determine who is deserving and who is not.

Don, I'm glad you have never needed grace. I sure have. I, nor my children, are no more deserving that an ex-con. He has paid his debt.
    Sooner, I don't think you were ever involved in a violent crime where someone was killed. Taking another person's life unless it is in self defense or in a war should be punishable by many years in prison. I am against capital punishment, that's way too easy for the criminal to get off. He should be punished and suffer like the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    Yes .... but he repaid that debt from his subsequent fortune, and never stole again.
    That would be correct in the musical. However, in the book, he did steal one more time after he stole the silver. He stole a coin from a little boy out of shear meaness. He realized his sin almost immediately, and tried to find the boy to return the money, but he could not find the boy. It was this second crime, the crime he committed after being shown grace by the Bishop, that let him see that he was a sinner in the eyes of God. The conversion was complete at that point.

Sooner, I don't think you were ever involved in a violent crime where someone was killed. Taking another person's life unless it is in self defense or in a war should be punishable by many years in prison. I am against capital punishment, that's way too easy for the criminal to get off. He should be punished and suffer like the victim.
    Again, you and I agree on what SHOULD have been the punishment. It was a horrible crime, and the penalty did not seem to fit the crime. The problem is the punishment was what it was, and we cannot change that. Since he is out on parole now, he has paid his debt according to the law, and he now needs to be shown grace by us and allowed to become a productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    As in all things, the novel is better than the movie/musical.
    In all other cases except for Les Miserables, I would agree with you. I might even agree with you for this one. However, the musical comes very, very close to getting it just as well as the novel. The movie gets an F-.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Angry Re: Southern Miss signed manslaughter felon

... I am against capital punishment, that's way too easy for the criminal to get off. He should be punished and suffer like the victim.
    Don, I am mostly in agreement with what you say, except that I am in favor of capital punishment. However, it should be carried out in a relatively short time after conviction. This sorry state of affairs that allows a murderer to hang around 15 - 20 years on death row is rediculous! I would think 5 years at most for appeals, then the death sentence should be carried out. Back in the days of quick application of the death penalty, it was a deterrent to crime. With the elongated waiting time for the penalty to be carried out, most of those on death row die before they are ever put to death.

On the other side of the coin, we don't have "punishment" in our prison system any more. What with climate controlled cells, world class libraries, exercise rooms, educational opportunities, warm places to sleep, enouth food, etc., etc., etc., many prisioners are better off in prison that the victims that they violated! This has to be turned arround so that convicted law breakers actually 'pay' for their sins!

JMHO

TD
    ~~

Read this letter to the editor in today's Newstar:

In response to "Bill offers options for nonviolent felonies,'' I would like to say in 1981 I was convicted of a felony drug charge. I obtained a bachelor's in accounting, but had to leave Louisiana because the board would not allow me to sit for the certified public accountant exam because of my nonviolent felony conviction. I was told to move to Texas, and it was there I obtained my CPA license.

Louisiana needs to rethink its attitude of lock 'em up and throw away the key. I rarely go back to Louisiana because of the government's attitude toward convicted nonviolent felonies.

Bill Cooper Houston

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Read this letter to the editor in today's Newstar:

In response to "Bill offers options for nonviolent felonies,'' I would like to say in 1981 I was convicted of a felony drug charge. I obtained a bachelor's in accounting, but had to leave Louisiana because the board would not allow me to sit for the certified public accountant exam because of my nonviolent felony conviction. I was told to move to Texas, and it was there I obtained my CPA license.

Louisiana needs to rethink its attitude of lock 'em up and throw away the key. I rarely go back to Louisiana because of the government's attitude toward convicted nonviolent felonies.

Bill Cooper Houston
    It's hard to imagine that with all of our corrrupt politics this is the case. However, I still say the boy should not be allowed a scholorship for any football team. And yes, he got off way too light for kicking someone in the head until they died. I hope TECH never adopts the SM policy.

+ Reply to Thread