+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: man named "Jesus"

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

man named "Jesus"

i'm not sure if this is political but i found the story pretty interesting.

Jesus Christ battling for his name in US
    2 hours, 26 minutes ago

Jesus Christ is having trouble convincing US courts to let him keep his name.

It's not the Messiah who is facing this problem, of course, but an American small business owner who, some 15 years ago, adopted the name of the Christian God's son.

The man, born Peter Robert Phillips Jr., started his legal battle in 2003 when authorities in West Virginia refuses to put his godly name on the property he bought in the southern state.

While his new name was on his passport, driver's license and social security card, the local authorities asked him for official proof of his name change.

So Jesus went to a district court in Washington, where he currently lives and where he has now been fighting a two-year battle to use his Biblical name.

"The judge wrote a lengthy opinion citing scriptures, the Bible and so on, to show that taking the name of Jesus Christ is blasphemy and therefore by extrapolation will cause violent reaction," Jesus Christ's attorney, Afshin Pishewar, said Tuesday.

The US capital "permits a common law name change at will. You can change your name as long as it's not for a fraudulent purpose," Pishewar said.

An appeals court overturned the judge in late April, and a new hearing should take place in the next two months, the attorney said.

"We've been remanded for a second coming," he said. "We look forward to the hearing so we can have redemption."

Jesus Christ, described by his attorney as a "devout" Christian, adopted the name to "express his respect and love for his religion."

But the white haired man in his 50s, who drives a bus for mentally handicapped people, is a "private man" and would not speak with reporters, Pishewar said.

"Jesus is not speaking to the press at this time," he said.

Big Dog bjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her game bjude64's Avatar

Re: man named "Jesus"

Just another guy looking for attention, and look at us giving it to him.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sad.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

completely off the subject, but this sort of thing bothers me:
    The man, born Peter Robert Phillips Jr., started his legal battle in 2003 when authorities in West Virginia refuses to put his godly name on the property he bought in the southern state.
    first of all, i don't think west virginia is a "southern" state by most definitions. but the main problem i have is that the author thinks the geography lesson is necessary. as if the location of the state had anything to do with the story. i think his point was that the only people stupid enough to have a problem with an idiot like this must be from the south. really, i kinda like being "misunderestimated", but the attitude that many people have toward the south is somewhat agrivating.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bjude64
    Just another guy looking for attention, and look at us giving it to him.
    He changed his name 15 years ago... Waiting 13 years to get attention seems like a pretty bad plan to me. I dont think this is him trying to get attention.

While I would be creeped out by a guy who wanted to change his name to Jesus Christ, it should still be legal. Weird, but legal.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2
    He changed his name 15 years ago... Waiting 13 years to get attention seems like a pretty bad plan to me. I dont think this is him trying to get attention.

While I would be creeped out by a guy who wanted to change his name to Jesus Christ, it should still be legal. Weird, but legal.
    I don't think he waited 13 years to get attention. I think it was his intention 15 years ago to get the attention. It took 13 years for a case to be made. However, I agree that in our secular soceity, it should be legal for his name to be changed to whatever he chooses. Besides, Christ is a title bestowed on Jesus and wasn't actually his surname.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Yeh he had to throw that southern state cheap shot in. Since we are known for having morals and believing that some things are absolute and some things are wrong. Did you see what the judge cited, the Bible!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, Liberal Times and the rest of the lefties ought to have a field day with that. That is unheard of. This will not stand though because they will let the man take Jesu' name because the Bible is no big deal to the Supreme judges. Where it will probably end up giong.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

It appears to me that the only blasphemy in the article might have come from the lips of the smart-a$$ jerk-off lawyer, Afshin Pishewar.

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi
    "We've been remanded for a second coming," he said. "We look forward to the hearing so we can have redemption."

"Jesus is not speaking to the press at this time," he said.
    Granted, a legal name change takes a lot more effort than sticking a Jesus Christ sign in the front yard or pasting a Jesus Christ bumper sticker on the SUV; but, bottom line, where's the difference ??

Big Dog bjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her game bjude64's Avatar

I think it should be legal, I'm just saying he's doing it for attention.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I think it should be legal, I'm just saying he's doing it for attention.
    I'll accept that statement (both parts) as a given.

IMO, anyone who wears a Jesus Christ t-shirt is doing it "for attention".

What's wrong with that ??

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    ... Besides, Christ is a title bestowed on Jesus and wasn't actually his surname.
    Yes.

The word Christ, Christos, the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Messias, means "anointed."

Inherently, I don't think anything is "wrong" with it. It was just a statement. I personally don't have a problem with it, per se. I just think it's odd that a person who claims to be a Christian would want to put himself on any level with the Lord; it seems to be slightly brazen. Like I said I don't think it's wrong, and I don't have a problem with the issue or its legality; I just find it strange. From afar, it just looks like a "look what I can do" type of issue.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

at least he seems to be a nice guy, i mean he drives a bus for the handicapped...he's not a drug dealer, stripper, etc. if he's going to have the name, at least he's in a profession of service to those in need.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi
    at least he seems to be a nice guy, i mean he drives a bus for the handicapped...he's not a drug dealer, stripper, etc. if he's going to have the name, at least he's in a profession of service to those in need.
    Hey, what's wrong with stippers? They serve those in need.

........From afar, it just looks like a "look what I can do" type of issue.
    Perhaps it's just that he took the words to this old hymn to heart, in a literal sense ??

http://ehymnal.com/takethe.shtml

BTW, If you have RealPlayer, you can sing along with the music.

+ Reply to Thread