+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which true freshmen will contribute this year?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Which true freshmen will contribute this year?

Obviously RB Patrick Jackson has to be at the top of the list of true freshmen who will contribute for the Dawgs this season. Who else?

I think Jackson (RB), Chad Beverage (at S not LB), Weldon Brown (at CB), and Josh Wheeler (WR) should all be given the opportunity to play for us this year.

Last year we had at least 5 true freshmen on the field at some point-
    RB Freddie Franklin (great effort at Auburn)
    RB Mark Dillard
    P Matt Butler (I hope they keep him at punter instead of a backup LB. Butler made some excellent tackles last year which could have been returns for a TD)
    K Danny Horwedel (This is the guy Chris Boniol recommended from his kicking camp)
    K Brad Oestriecher
    Last edited by DogsWin; 05-08-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Re: Which true freshmen will contribute this year?

I say let them play. Nothing to lose. We haven't been to a bowl since 2001 and a losing record will not mean anything to the administration.

Let the young players play.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

both jackson and josh lewis will see snaps at rb. jackson is an absolute stud, but lewis reminds me of a young moats. the potential is there. let's see if he develops it like ryan did.

i like the two big receivers. wheeler and the kid out of woodlawn in baton rouge (sorry name escapes me). i expect both of them to get into the rotation.

i don't think beverage will get any reps. if quin harris couldn't break into the secondary last year, i don't think beverage will. harris will become one of the best defensive players we've had in recent years.

theprofessor

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

...I like the two big receivers. wheeler and the kid out of woodlawn in baton rouge (sorry name escapes me). i expect both of them to get into the rotation.

i don't think beverage will get any reps...
    theprofessor
    You're thinking of Brian Jackson WR from Woodlawn. I agree, he should get a look too.

In Beverage's case, he's a stud. Had 2 INTs vs West Monroe last year in the playoffs, one of which was Airline's only TD (65 yard INT return) in a 12-10 loss. For the year Beverage had 98 tackles, 7 INTs, and caused 8 forced fumbles. We could use some of that in our secondary along with the crushing hits delivered in his highlights video!

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

My personal feelings about playing freshmen are do it if they will make significant contributions on the field. I absolutely hate seeing true freshmen played when, at the end of the season, they have only a handful of tackles, catches, or carries.

Look at Ladarius Love. His freshman year he totaled six tackles in nine games. SIX TACKLES. His sophomore year he had a more respectable 18. Junior year, 23 tackles. Now he will be a senior. Because of his wasted freshman season, he will have only one year to be a starter. Maybe you can say he hasn't lived up to his billing, but I would have definitely preferred for him to have redshirted and still have two years left to play, not one!

You could look at Jonathan Holland's true freshman season (4 catches) and also say that was a waste. However, on the flipside, I would say Erick Franklin's true freshmen year was a good contribution (13 catches, 24 KO returns), but that was mostly on the kickoff return side. And Freddie Franklin's true freshmen year also looks good (45 carries, 4.5 ypc), especially since he got some good experience and gave good production when Moats went down against Auburn.

As for this year, I don't want to see any of our incoming freshmen to play. I would prefer to see all of them redshirt, UNLESS they can come in and challenge for a starter's position.

If Patrick Jackson is more productive as Mark Dillard or Freddie Franklin, then let him play. If not, then let him redshirt behind two backs that seem very capable of carrying the load next year. This is a totally different situation than last year when we had only one running back (Moats) that looked ready to go and a backup (Danny Wilson) with health/durability problems.

If Weldon Brown or Chad Beverage can make significant contributions in the secondary (where the most help is needed), then let them play. Otherwise, let them redshirt. Redshirting simply helps the player be more productive over the four years they actually play on the field!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

One of our biggest mistakes was blowing Moats' red shirt year so he could return punts. Had we saved him, he'd be back this year ready to shatter every tech rushing record. If Lewis truly reminds you of moats, you better hope we red shirt him. I think with Franklin, Jackson, and Dillard in the backfield (with Richardson ready to be plugged in if need be), it would be a waste to blow a kids red-shirt year with such a stable of running backs. I hope Wheeler comes in this year and gives Matt or Donald a go to guy that has sure hands. That can really help with confidence. Beverage at safety could be a real exciting thing to watch. I just can't wait to see J. Hamilton slobber-knock some folks...it's right around the corner.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread