+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scobee

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Scobee

Rookie really nailed it
    Ex-Tech kicker Josh Scobee solves ups and downs of NFL for a stellar season

By Paul J. Letlow
    pletlow@thenewsstar.com

Former Louisiana Tech place-kicker Josh Scobee overcame a rough start in training camp last year to enjoy a big season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

After struggling early in the 2004 preseason, Scobee won the starting job and went on to score 93 points for the Jags. He made 24-of-31 field goal attempts and all 21 of his extra points.

The highlight of his rookie campaign came when he stroked a 53-yard field goal on Oct. 24 to beat the Indianapolis Colts. When Scobee kicked his game-winning field goal against the Colts, it put Jacksonville in first place in the AFC South at the time.

"That was a big moment for me," said Scobee, a fifth-round draft pick in 2004. "Probably the big highlight of the year. There were some low points, but I'd like to remember the high points over the low ones."

Now preparing for his second year in the NFL, Scobee is a wiser and more seasoned player as he works this off-season. After playing in the Doug Pederson Golf Tournament earlier this week, he was headed back to Jacksonville to resume his preparation.

"It feels so much better to go in with a year under my belt," Scobee said on Monday. "I know what's going on everyday in practice and I know how to take care of my business on the field and off the field. It feels better to go in and have less of a burden on my shoulders."

Even after shining as a successful kicker in college at Tech, Scobee had an adjustment to make in pro ball.

"The biggest difference is learning how to be a pro," Scobee said. "By that, I mean learning how to discipline yourself as far as practice goes and after practice. You have to know what to do when you go home and when to go to bed. You have to get enough sleep and get the right things to eat. You have to be a pro about everything."

Now that he's a veteran, Scobee can expect to be treated differently. Anyone who watched the NFL Network series on Jaguars training camp last summer saw what it means to be a rookie kicker. Among his rookie hazing moments, Scobee was forced to sing his college fight song in the cafeteria one day and once came back before practice to find a suspicious-looking chocolate bar plopped in his helmet

"I'm just one of the guys now," Scobee said. "I'm not a rookie and don't get called a rookie anymore. Neither do the guys who came in with us. I feel so much better about going into this year. It's like having a bunch of friends on the team now."

Scobee gives his coach, Jack Del Rio, high praise.

"He's a great coach," Scobee said. "He's a people person and players' coach. At the same time, he expects so much from his players. We all want to give that much effort to him."

Scobee expects his Jaguars to continue to improve after finishing 9-7 a year ago.

"Look for the same thing we had last year," Scobee said. "We had a tough defense and none of us are going to quit until the last second of the game. We had so many wins last year in the last minute of the game. That just proves that we'll never give up on you."

Originally published May 20, 2005

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: Scobee

Thanx for posting that. Good, positive read.

Big Dog SummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the ears SummaCumDoggie's Avatar

Good post, but calling Scobee a veteran after one season is a bit of a strech, no?

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by SummaCumDoggie
    Good post, but calling Scobee a veteran after one season is a bit of a strech, no?
    By definition, when you're no longer a rookie, and you're still playing, you are a veteran.

+ Reply to Thread