+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two years later, Rawls still struggling

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Two years later, Rawls still struggling

Two years later, Rawls still struggling

http://www.newsok.com/article/150672...late=sports/ou

By George Schroeder
    The Oklahoman

He smiled and waved, acknowledging the crowd.

Wasnt it supposed to be this way? Well, not quite. This wasnt exactly how Brent Rawls had envisioned his Oklahoma football debut.

This was indoor, minor-league football. Rawls entered the game as the holder on a field-goal attempt.

And those were boos.

Saturday night, two years after he was a contestant in the Oklahoma Sooners quarterback derby, Rawls held for placekicks and saw mop-up action at quarterback with the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings of arena football 2.

It didnt turn out the way I wanted it to, Rawls said.

He was referring to his three-interception performance in a loss to the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz at the Ford Center. He could as easily have been talking about his career.

Seems strange now. But as spring turned to summer in 2003, Oklahomas sports-talk radio buzzed with speculation: Who would be OUs quarterback? Who should be?

Both Jason White, who was coming off his second knee surgery, and Rawls, who had performed well during spring practice, had fiery, vocal proponents. But a sizable contingent of fans believed it should be Rawls.

Its been a while since then, Rawls said Saturday.

Bob Stoops ended the controversy, uncharacteristically releasing a quarterback ranking six weeks before the start of fall practice. White was the Sooners starter. Rawls was No. 4. Not quite three months later, Rawls transferred to Louisiana Tech.

Last weekend marked Rawls first return to the state. Rawls said he hasnt spoken with OU coaches since his departure. He said he has no regrets, that he doesnt think much about his ill-fated tenure in Norman.

If I lived in the past, Id want to shoot myself every day just because of the fact of where I should be now and what could have happened, Rawls said. But I dont give it any thought.

A Parade All-American out of Shreveports Evangel Christian Academy, Rawls signed with great fanfare in December 2001, but never took a snap for the Sooners.

His career detoured in 2002 when he tore thumb ligaments, then suffered a concussion when he fell out of the back of a pickup truck. Then, despite an impressive spring performance in 2003, he was dropped to the bottom of the depth chart because of, sources said, off-field actions and generally immature behavior.

Rawls never played for Louisiana Tech, either. Last November, he gave up his final year of college eligibility when he signed with the Battle Wings. He understood it was perhaps his last chance at football.

The Battle Wings were tantalized by something Rawls has long had: potential.

We thought it would be a good opportunity for him to rekindle his football career, Battle Wings coach Keith Barefield said. We think hes got a world of talent. Hes got some learning to do. Hes got some refinement in technique to do. We think that eventually hell develop into an outstanding quarterback.

It would be a shame to see all that natural, raw ability to play football, just to see it not have an opportunity to develop.

Barefield noted one other difference from Rawls stints at OU and Louisiana Tech.

This is not necessarily a knock on him, but just the fact of the matter is, at both OU and Louisiana Tech he had difficulty going to class, Barefield said. Here, he just has to show up for practice every day.

Of course, Rawls missed a couple of those, too. He began the season as a backup. When the Battle Wings released their starter and replaced him with a former league all-star, Rawls briefly left the team, though he returned a couple days later.

He said Saturday night the season has been frustrating, just because of the fact Im not playing. But I cant just sit around and quit or pout about it just because Im not playing. Ive just got to bide my time.

Before Saturday, Rawls had played only as a holder for kicks and in two mop-up situations: He was 3 of 5 for 29 yards, with one interception. When the Yard Dawgz grabbed a big lead in the fourth quarter, Barefield inserted Rawls.

The results werent great. Rawls completed 6 of 7 passes, if you count three interceptions. Two of those were returned for touchdowns.

He definitely got his baptism tonight, said Barefield. Both he and Rawls noted it was the quarterbacks first extensive action since the fall of 2000, his senior season in high school.

Ive definitely learned the speed of the game is a lot different than it is in practice, Rawls said. Getting out there and having guys come at you and hit you is different.

And then there were the boos, and assorted other jeers. After the third interception, Rawls argued briefly with a fan in the first row behind the visitors bench. And as he left the field after the game, another fan leaned down and yelled: Hey, Brent Rawls! Nice job!

Rawls reply, as he waved: Thank you! Thank you!

Rawls said he expected the negative reaction.

I told everybody before I got here, As soon as they say my name, everybodys gonna boo me, said Rawls afterward, smiling wryly.

He laughed about it later. But Rawls said hes glad to be getting one more chance.

Football is what I like, he said. I definitely want to get to the point to where Im starting every game and being able to have the feel of playing four quarters. Hopefully, theres a future in this and then, hopefully, to go to the next level from here.

Rawls fidgeted. The bus was idling outside.

Long ride back to Louisiana, someone observed.

Yeah, Rawls said. And its not gonna be fun, either.

Then, he walked out the door and into the night.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: Two years later, Rawls still struggling

It's really sad to see someone with so much potential screw up by being their own worst enemy. I've seen enough at just the high school level to last me a lifetime.
    Go Tech!

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

I saw him play about three weeks ago. He came in at the end of the game and promptly competed two passes. One to his receiver and one to the defense. He sure does throw a pretty spiral though.

Puppy JoeTech is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg
    It's really sad to see someone with so much potential screw up by being their own worst enemy. I've seen enough at just the high school level to last me a lifetime.
    That's as true as it gets in his case. Sounds like he still wants to force the ball in rather than throw it away or dump to the alternate receiver.

+ Reply to Thread