+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "neoconservativism"

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

"neoconservativism"

i found an actual definition of this on wikipedia.com...now we'll have an idea of what it is when folks mention it:

Neoconservatism, in its United States usage, has come to refer to the views of a subclass of conservatives who support a more assertive foreign policy coupled with one or more other facets of social conservatism. Historically, conservatives tend to be mildly isolationist. The "unipolar" assertions of columnist Charles Krauthammer are an example of neoconservatism. Neoconservatism evolved from a group of disaffected liberals, and thus Irving Kristol - usually credited (or blamed) as its intellectual progenitor - defined a "neoconservative" as "a liberal who was mugged by reality". Although originally regarded as an approach to domestic policy (the founding instrument of the movement, Kristol's The Public Interest periodical, did not even cover foreign affairs), through the influence of figures like Dick Cheney, Robert Kagan, Richard Perle, Kenneth Adelman and (Irving's son) Bill Kristol, it came to be more associated with the foreign policy aspects of President George W. Bush's administration. In fact, though, the Bush administration's domestic policy (variously termed "big government conservatism" or "compassionate conservatism") also bears many of the hallmarks of the neoconservative school of thought. Because the term "neoconservative" has become an epithet in some political discourse, it is often - and incorrectly - dismissed as a "buzzword" in other circles, and its actual meaning has become obscured. See also, The NeoCon Reader, edited by Irwin Stelzer, ISBN 0802141935; Neoconservatism: the Autobiography of an Idea, Irving Kristol, ISBN 0028740211; The Neoconservative Vision, Mark Gerson, ISBN 1568331002.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Re: "neoconservativism"

Have you actually read any of this to determine if it is or is not slanted?

Some of the opinions stated do sound reasonable. Others I'm not so sure about.

I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions out there.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I like that..."a liberal that was mugged by reality". Hahahahaha! I kind of feel that way sometimes.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pup60
    Have you actually read any of this to determine if it is or is not slanted?

Some of the opinions stated do sound reasonable. Others I'm not so sure about.

I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions out there.
    no doubt, but a month or so a few folks were debating what neo-con actually meant so...i just figured i'd throw some sort of published definition out there.
    "opinions" is a good word to use...i never meant it to be a definitive answer.

to answer your question: yes i did read it, it seemed reasonable enough...i don't really know what a "neo-conservative" is or means...i never thought i was one. i don't feel the need to attach extra prefixes to my political affiliations...anyway, since i had no official definition to go by, this one seems fine, as far as a basic idea. i doubt that all will agree with it but no ones' politics are exactly the same.

+ Reply to Thread