+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSU coach (coach?) working on new board/jumbotron

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

GSU coach (coach?) working on new board/jumbotron

Yes, I'm humored this football coach has enough time on his hands to mess with scoreboard-like stuff. I guess after you beat Southern there's nothing else to accomplish-
    tm

GSU looks at replacing aging Robinson scoreboard

By Nick Deriso
    nderiso@ thenewsstar.com

Grambling State coach Melvin Spears is examining a proposal from Daktronics for a new scoreboard at Robinson Stadium.

(On the Web
    Daktronics has examples of recent scoreboard projects, with additional information and specs at www.daktronics.com. )

GRAMBLING — Grambling State is in talks with a major supplier about replacing its aging scoreboard.

GSU football coach Melvin Spears says he has met with the well-known sign manufacturer Daktronics, and is also exploring possible financing options.

"A new scoreboard would upgrade these facilities — and we have some of the best in the country on our level," said Spears.

GSU's current scoreboard is antiquated, and doesn't include the kind of advertising space that has become so valuable to college programs. The proposed replacement would be positioned on the existing platform at Robinson Stadium.

"There are a couple of different ways to get those things financed," said Spears, who estimates the cost at about $500,000. "Daktronics will make it very feasible. The question is: Will it get done this year?"

Daktronics, founded in 1968, reports that tens of thousands of its scoreboards and display systems have been installed in more than 70 countries on six continents.

The Brookings, S.D.-based company — a perennial Olympic sign partner dating back to the 1980 Winter Games — has installed new light-emitting diode (or LED) signs in the stadiums of NFL teams like Detroit, Cleveland and New England, as well as Fenway Park in Boston and Tower Records' landmark Sunset Strip. Daktronics also provides mobile display systems for the Nextel NASCAR series.

Spears said he was introduced to the company by Louisiana-Lafayette coach Nelson Stokley.

"He has (a scoreboard) with instant replay," Spears said. "We kind of designed our own. It will be similar in nature."

The mockup from Daktronics includes a traditional Grambling "G" above an LED scoreboard, with tiger tracks along the top. There are spots for two permanent sponsors on either side of the scoring displays, with a pair of rotating displays below them. "We will be able to have that advertising piece, a true sponsorship," said Spears. "We are looking at four slots as permanent spots and the others would revolve. It's nice."
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: GSU coach (coach?) working on new board/jumbotron

Yep, Grambling will have a new scoreboard while DR and JO are still giving us reasons it can't be done.

I quit. I am through with this bunch.

See y'all later....maybe.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Oh, there was another GSU story, in Sunday's News Star, about their losing/never having the copyright on their G logo. Fans upset the black & gold Green Bay "G" oval might be replaced on the helmets.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...49/1006/NEWS17
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I hope he meant EX-USL coach Nelson Stokely or meant AD Nelson Schexnyder(sp?) -

I hope they get one for Robinson and one for the new convo center they are building -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    Yep, Grambling will have a new scoreboard while DR and JO are still giving us reasons it can't be done.

I don't know what you are talking about. Dan has given us a new scoreboard with video. It is in the north endzone. You have to look closely though, because it is nano-sized.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if we'll have the pleasure of the MINITRON this season? heh heh
    BUSH LEAGUE

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    I don't know what you are talking about. Dan has given us a new scoreboard with video. It is in the north endzone. You have to look closely though, because it is nano-sized.

Hilarious. C'mon Dawg80, its better to laugh than to cry.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80

I feel your pain.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

if we do ever get one, i hope they invest in a big clear jumbotron (unlike ULM/ULL) with a nice brick frame, I wish we incorporate more brick at JAS like the rest of the campus...with brick columns and pillars...iron wrought fencing....

about the fencing...is the Johnny Ray Wrought Iron Fence project still going on?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001
    if we do ever get one, i hope they invest in a big clear jumbotron (unlike ULM/ULL) with a nice brick frame, I wish we incorporate more brick at JAS like the rest of the campus...with brick columns and pillars...iron wrought fencing....

about the fencing...is the Johnny Ray Wrought Iron Fence project still going on?

I guarantee you they'll end up going with the cheapest that you can find, in fact they'll go to great lengths to do this. As per instructions from DR's desk.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by qng001

The Cajuns have a real nice looking jumbotron - if could stand to be bigger or the pedestal that its on could stand to be alittle smaller - but theirs is still very nice looking and incorporated into their stadium infrastructure very nicely....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

DFM, yeah it's ok. I really like SMU's, though not that big like some Texas schools, that thing is really sharp and clear.

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears

Always on the forefront when it comes to improving our situation, structures and stature...NOT! As usual La Tech will wait until everyone has a jumbotron then procede to get someones hand me down and tell us how great they are for providing us with a state of the art video board that will add to the gameday expierence.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDawg
    Always on the forefront when it comes to improving our situation, structures and stature...NOT! As usual La Tech will wait until everyone has a jumbotron then procede to get someones hand me down and tell us how great they are for providing us with a state of the art video board that will add to the gameday expierence.
    Nah! They will then keep it in storage bitching the whole time while trying to get $$ from 2-5 people to pay and install it for them.:bigcry:

+ Reply to Thread