+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Bowl to Replace MWC

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Liberty Bowl to Replace MWC

commercialappeal.com - Memphis, TN To print this page, select File then Print from your browserURL: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...827269,00.htmlLiberty Bowl would like SEC tie-in

Conference's area schools think association with game a positive

By Ron Higgins
    Contact

June 3, 2005

DESTIN, Fla. -- AutoZone Liberty Bowl executive director Steve Ehrhart may not be at these Southeastern Conference business meetings in person, but he's here in spirit.

The league's seven non-BCS bowl contracts expire at the end of the upcoming football season, and bowls which haven't been in the SEC mix recently, like the Liberty Bowl, have begun preliminary discussions about getting an SEC tie-in starting in 2006.

Advertisement

The SEC bowls up for renewal are the Capital One (Orlando), Outback (Tampa), Cotton (Dallas), Peach (Atlanta), Music City (Nashville), Independence (Shreveport, La.) and Houston.

"I've talked to Steve as recently as Monday, and he has been very aggressive," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said of Ehrhart. "I don't know how all this is going to come out, but we've had some very constructive conversations, and Steve has represented the AutoZone Liberty Bowl well.

Slive said the league also talked with representatives from the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., and the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. He said he expects to have most or all of the SEC's bowl contracts signed by the end of July.

Ehrhart said the Liberty Bowl has exercised its option this season with Conference USA. But since the contract with the Mountain West Conference ended last year, Ehrhart said he has had talks with the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Western Athletic Conference, Navy and the Mountain West about filling one of the spots for this season's game.

But for '06, Ehrhart said he and the bowl have an open mind. Which is why he says he has talked to every major conference, except for the Pac 10. No doubt, though, the SEC is a major player in Ehrhart's discussions.

"We've had the SEC 23 times in our bowl, and there's been a lot of great elements of a terrific partnership with them," Ehrhart said. "When you consider the history of the league, that Memphis is in the heart of the SEC's Western Division, that Memphis is a strong SEC recruiting base and that Memphis has every SEC alumni club, there are positives that make sense for both sides."

There's little doubt that some of the Western Division teams, such as Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas, wouldn't mind seeing the Liberty Bowl back in the SEC mix.

Ole Miss is 4-0 in the bowl, last appearing in 1992. Mississippi State is 1-1, last playing in 1991, and Arkansas is 0-3, last appearing in 1987.

"We've had some outstanding players come out of Memphis, so I'd love it if the Liberty Bowl and the SEC could agree on an affiliation," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said.

"As far as Ole Miss is concerned, the Liberty Bowl has always been a great bowl that we've enjoyed," Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone said. "I'd certainly like to see the Liberty Bowl back in the SEC."

Said Mississippi State athletic director Larry Templeton, "Right now, it's a bowl marketplace in which there is a lot of interest in Southeastern Conference teams, and Mississippi State would be very supportive of the SEC having a bowl game in our sister city of Memphis."

The Liberty Bowl is coming off one of its most successful games, a Louisville-Boise State matchup that had the seventh-best TV bowl ratings in ESPN history. Also, Ehrhart was pleased with a Boise State fan contingent that stayed in Memphis for several days and pumped money into the local economy.

Out-of-town visitors are something that Ehrhart has to consider if an SEC affiliation becomes a viable option since fans of nearby SEC schools may not spend several days in Memphis, preferring to arrive the day before or the day of the game. On the other hand, an SEC team might draw more local fans.

"That's sort of a tradeoff that must be considered," he said.

Last season, the SEC didn't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill its seven spots. The Independence and Houston Bowls had to invite non-SEC teams. This season marks the third and final year of the Houston Bowl contract, and both previous years the SEC hasn't had enough bowl-eligible teams to send one to Houston.

Competition is fierce among bowls trying to get a tie-in with the SEC. Bowls know that the presence of a team from the SEC, the annual national leader in attendance, usually guarantees solid ticket sales and makes the bowl's TV partner happy.

Bowls with SEC tie-ins, such as the Cotton Bowl, believe the best way to retain a conference affiliation is maintaining a high level of satisfaction for the participating teams.

"We're constantly trying to figure out ways to make ourselves different than the other 28 bowls," said Cotton Bowl president Rick Baker. "But our focus has always been as a family-oriented destination for the players, the coaches and their families. Over the years, we've a good reputation of treating those folks in a first-class way."

Through the years, the SEC has had smooth relationships with most of their bowls. There have been a couple of times, though, when the Outback Bowl invited SEC teams with more local appeal in Tampa, rather than the team with better credentials.

It happened last year when the Outback Bowl took Georgia over Eastern Division champ Tennessee, despite the fact the Vols beat the Bulldogs in the regular season.

There's no indication that the SEC will change any of its bowl affiliations. But Slive said that athletic directors and coaches have given feedback on the bowls in which they've participated.

"I think who you play in a bowl is an issue, as well as the type of experiences our student-athletes have on and off the field in bowls," Slive said. "That's why we've wanted input from the teams in our league who have been involved." Copyright 2005, commercialappeal.com - Memphis, TN. All Rights Reserved.

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Liberty Bowl to Replace MWC

Perhaps this spells the end of the Indy Bowl's SEC tie-in. That would be nothing but good news for us. Maybe, just maybe, that would increase our chances of landing an Indy Bowl game.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NashVegasRabidK9
    Perhaps this spells the end of the Indy Bowl's SEC tie-in. That would be nothing but good news for us. Maybe, just maybe, that would increase our chances of landing an Indy Bowl game.
    What an unlofty goal to achieve. I would rather shoot for a real bowl game. The Indy Bowl may be by the way of the Tidy Bowl here real shortly and deservedly so.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I was just as disappointed as anyone by the I-Bowl's recent snubs of Tech. But they have been putting on a quality production for decades now. I am hopeful they survive and change their thinking about Tech.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfood
    Sorry but the SEC is very happy with the Indy Bowl and vice versa. Houston Bowl is a goner for sure but the Indy . This area is a hotbed for recruits for the SEC and Big 12. Remember it was stated that who you play is almost more important than where you play. There are not many match ups better than an SEC vs Big 12. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    I don't know why I am stupid enough to debate you on this one, but are you really serious in your stance that the Houston Bowl would be less of a recruiting tool than the Indy Bowl????? I am really confused about that one! The new Reliant Stadium, home of a NFL Super Bowl very recently, with a 5 million population draw and a major corporate sponsor vs. Shreveport's old Indy Stadium, less than 500k population close by and no sponsor to increase pay-outs????? That in itself is a tough one.......but then you compare the Houston/south Texas recruiting opportunities to north Louisiana??????? Also I believe that the Houston Bowl has a tie-in with the Big 12 (what was that about who you play?)

Do you get out much?

DFiH

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

DFH 1- Dawgfood 0

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

The Independence bowl has more tradition and is actually more stable than the Houston Bowl. Furthermore, it would not surprise me one bit if the Indy bowl as a better average tv rating than the Houston Bowl. Trust me the SEC will NOT turn down the Indy Bowl.
    How can you say it is more stable when the Houston Bowl has Roy Marsh and EV1.net in their corner and the Indy has no one....... that translates to no sponsor at all!!!!! Stability comes from cash!

I do not have access to arbitron, but I would be willing to bet a pile of benjamins that Colorado vs. UTEP turned on more sets than Miami of OHIO vs. Iowa State....... just a tad better match-up with a much better fan base.

Tell me this, 'Ole Food of the Hound', why did Houston get UTEP and Indy have to settle for Miami of Ohio, if it is indeed such a better situation?????

I do not know who you are, but if I didn't know better, I would say we had Missy Setters showing back up on our board (for some of your newbies, Missy works for the I Bowl and debated us on-line back when we wanted a slot)........ If I were the SEC, I would send them packing, but what the hell do I know, I would have put us in the Indy Bowl back in '99.

DFiH

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

The Independence bowl has more tradition and is actually more stable than the Houston Bowl. Furthermore, it would not surprise me one bit if the Indy bowl as a better average tv rating than the Houston Bowl. Trust me the SEC will NOT turn down the Indy Bowl.
    If it were up to the SEC schools, they would turn down the Indy in a heartbeat. Haven't some teams declined invitations to the I-Bowl recently?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

sports writers and such used to joke about the weedeater bowl and such but their complaints were over the amount of free food and access to their own choice of entertainment, it seemed. I haven't heard any of that lately because the Hogs haven't been BCS material and the Shreveport experience looks better to them.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

News to Dawgfood -

The I-Bowl is LOOKING to the ACC to replace the SEC because of past treatment by the Bowl from the SEC office -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog scubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nice scubbdog's Avatar

I have heard it talked about a few times that the Indy Bowl sees itself as more of a Big 12 bowl than and SEC bowl anyway. They seem more concerned about keeping their current slot with them instead of doing much with the SEC.

I would love to see the current matchup continue but I don't know how that'll turn out.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

sec teams, aside from lsu, are probably tired of showing up to play in front of a bunch of druken, piss yellow-clad, morons chanting "l-s-u" the whole game. The sec will probably be happy to severe their ties to the Ibowl.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

As much as I hate to say it, dawgfood was right about tv ratings and attendance take a look at the BCS website.
    http://www.bcsfootball.org/index.cfm?page=tvratings

It still doesnt change the other facts, but they did have more people watch and attend the game by a pretty good margin.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    As much as I hate to say it, dawgfood was right about tv ratings and attendance take a look at the BCS website.

It still doesnt change the other facts, but they did have more people watch and attend the game by a pretty good margin.
    Houston doesn't draw college football fans well period -- unless the Longhorns are playing. The attendance difference isn't surprising. The ratings difference is more so -- but I'd wonder whether time and network played a role. The Indy Bowl has typically found a pretty good TV time slot in the last decade or so.

Puppy JoeTech is an unknown

Houston got UTEP booked early because they could see early on that the SEC was not going to have a team available to fill the slot. They weren't even going to take UTEP, they wanted Clemson.

When the fists started flying between Clemson and South Carolina, Houston knew for a fact they were short. It was another week before LSU beat Arkansas insuring that either Nashville or the I-Bowl would be short.

It was another week until Alabama picked the Music City Bowl leaving the I-Bowl short.

Houston had a two week headstart to find a replacement.

Then the I-Bowl wasted time chasing Virginia but that deal was only going to happen if the Big East was willing to do a favor for the ACC

So then they thought they would take Northern Illinois to face Oklahoma State and have a pretty decent match-up. Instead, Texas whines and jumps ahead of Cal in the BCS, that moves Oklahoma State to the Alamo and Iowa State to the I-Bowl. Since Iowa State and Northern Illinois had already played earlier in the season they trade Northern Illinois who had averaged 27,000 a game for Miami who average just under 16,000 a game.

In other words, almost everything that could have gone wrong for the I-Bowl did go wrong last year.

+ Reply to Thread