+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you guys really going to be that bad?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Are you guys really going to be that bad?

I haven't been on the boards that much this week, so I will ask why we are discussing the name of USLL's name?

The official name is ULL - end of story. Back when they originally approved the change, I was happy for them. That didn't last and now there are two universities with that name and that is not going to change. So, they are ULL.

The mascot "Ragin Cajun's" is enough to set them apart from any school in the country. That will just have to be good enough.

Now I am going to go to a thread that talks about the greatest university in this state - Louisiana Tech!

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice piece of literature, but people on a Louisiana Tech University message board aren't going to care that much. I will say though, that it does show more of LSU trying to screw people over. I understand your situation and we feel the same crap in North Louisiana about how everything seems to be centered in Baton Rouge. I'll tell you this...

I transferred to LSU a couple years ago because I wanted to exchange overseas and Tech burned off the program I wanted. I regret it and always will. As far as my experience goes... LSU sucks. I'm sure some people get a lot out of LSU and it's not a terrible school, but a lot of people overlook the academic underachievement that goes on here sometimes. I'm in Computer Science, and the LSU folks lied their ass off to get me here. The eventually dumped ALL of my credits from Tech which were two years, once I signed on the dotted line. I've been doomed with more and more pre-requisite courses that I've already taken that I've now repeated over and over, and the classes are dumb as hell. I've disagreed with most of my professors here. I work for LSU and I see TONS of money get pissed away on the STUPIDEST things, right out of students' pockets. It makes me sick. Every day I wish I was still at Tech, because I'd be a graduate by now, a proud Tech alumnus, and member of Champs. Now it's gone, and I have to sit here and hate this damn school and be surrounded by these people. I've made some friends here, but it still sucks.

My girlfriend graduated from ULL a couple years ago and is now in grad school here in LSU and is going nuts. She can't stand it either. My best friend transferred here with me from Tech and is in the same boat I'm in and hates it. I've shown students here some of the things we did at Tech and how the school is and they're amazed. They're all like, "wow, I should've given that place a chance." LSU is constantly flooded with programs to get people to come here so much that it gets in the students' way sometimes. They close off parking and flood the Student Union with kids and organizations constantly. They've fired off almost all their instructors by now without PhD's and it's destroying each department. Computer Science probably has about 35-40 teachers and half are getting kicked this year because of it. Some math classes have 100s of students in them to compensate.

There... I'm tired of bitching. Someone may want to move our posts, I dunno. This has nothing to do with football. Sorry, CajunNation's post inspired me.

GO TECH!!!!!!!!!1111oneone

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7

I transferred to LSU a couple years ago because I wanted to exchange overseas and Tech burned off the program I wanted. I regret it and always will. As far as my experience goes... LSU sucks. I'm sure some people get a lot out of LSU and it's not a terrible school, but a lot of people overlook the academic underachievement that goes on here sometimes. I'm in Computer Science, and the LSU folks lied their ass off to get me here. The eventually dumped ALL of my credits from Tech which were two years, once I signed on the dotted line. I've been doomed with more and more pre-requisite courses that I've already taken that I've now repeated over and over, and the classes are dumb as hell.
    Dude, that stinks. One of the reasons I transferred from U of Idaho to Tech was because they were super about taking all my transfer credits.

Dollars to Donuts that if you had transferred from out of state they would not have given you such a hard time down there.

Bottom line, as you point out so well in your post, LSU SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

I still travel to Ruston for the football games and to visit my friends and such. I wear my LaTech stuff around here in Baton Rouge and eventually will join Champs, since I can't be an alumnus up there. I don't want anything to do with the LSU alumni folk. No offense LSU peeps, ya'll have some great people too, I just don't want to think about my LSU career too much in the future.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNNATION
    This is a bit outdated, but you'll get the point. For instance, the privately held assets of the University is somewhere around 120 mill.

After years of achievement and leadership in higher education and five years of planning and lobbying, UL President Dr. Ray Authement was rewarded for his determination on April 27, 1984 as the Board of Trustees for State Colleges and Universities voted by a 17-1 margin to drop the “Southwestern” from USL’s name. On that date, the University of Southwestern Louisiana became THE University of Louisiana.

By that time, USL’s name had become a hindrance to further advancement and improvement among universities. UL had outgrown its double-directional name. UL’s enrollment was at 16,000 students, which made it one of the two largest schools in the three-state region of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. It was a comprehensive university and had students from all 50 states and 100 countries enrolled. UL lead the state in professional and certification exams in many fields including engineering, nursing, and education. The University of Louisiana had received national recognition for their computer science program and was a charter member of NCAA Division I-A Football.

The name didn’t last long, however, as traditional Louisiana university politics, with its long history of paranoia and infighting, became a factor. Some administrators at other state schools worried that UL’s new name would diminish their image. According to Baton Rouge’s Morning Advocate, LSU Chancellor James H. Wharton said he is concerned that “the new name will result in the university’s expansion” (April 28, 1984). Ironically, the arguments against UL had a familiar ring since they were used in 1960 when Southwestern Louisiana Institute upgraded to university status and became the University of Southwestern Louisiana.

In May of 1984, the Board Regents, with the strong support of powerful LSU backers on and off the Board, took the issue to district court, asserting that only the Louisiana Legislature could rename state universities. They won as District Judge William H. Brown agreed with the plaintiffs and stripped the University of Louisiana of its new name. Although Judge Brown was an alumnus of LSU, and an active supporter of that school, he did not recuse himself from the case despite this apparent conflict of interest. He ruled against the name change despite clear constitutional language confirming both the name change and the way it was handled, despite an opinion from the State Attorney General, and despite the legal precedent of other state schools who had changed their names through the same course of action. For example, when LSUNO changed its name to UNO, it only received approval from the LSU Board of Supervisors. UL, however, was ordered to revert to USL on May 22, 1984 and Louisiana remained only one of two states to not have a University of State. Soon after and in specific response to this case, the state legislature changed state law to require that only the legislature could change the name of state colleges and universities.

Since USL had outgrown its double-directional name, the fight was not over for a name that was and is more reflective of the University’s accomplishments, achievements, and stature. Since the class of 1984 graduated with University of Louisiana diplomas, the vision was realized and the goal was set. Attempts at appeal were unsuccessful as the Louisiana Supreme Court refused to hear the case in October of 1986.

It took until 1995 for the Louisiana State Legislature to agree to allow the change. But, passage of Act 45 required a compromise that has become known as the “LSU Rule.” The LSU Rule required that at least two state universities change their name at the same time. It required that all universities who change their name change it to “University of Louisiana at [city designation].” It stipulated that the city designation must be used in all official university business and has since grown far beyond its original legislative language, to regulate minute details such as font sizes to be used by the respective universities. Additionally, the bill insisted that LSU was, and would remain, the "flagship university" of Louisiana. This was odd for a legislative act that had absolutely no bearing on LSU or the LSU System. Finally, that act changed the name of the Board of Trustees to the “University of Louisiana Board of Supervisors.”

Initially, it looked like Northeast Louisiana University would make the new name a reality, but they hesitated and stalled.

Finally, in 1999 Northeast’s Lawson Swearingen agreed to the name change. Ironically, as a Monroe area representative in the legislature back in 1984, he was one of the more vocal opponents of USL’s name change. The Board of Regents and the UL Board of Supervisors finally approved the name change in late August 1999. USL became UL Lafayette and NLU became UL Monroe.

USL officials decided to make it official at the Centennial Spectacular kicking off the yearlong celebration of the university’s 100th birthday. University of Louisiana was now a reality.

WHY LOUISIANA?UL Lafayette (“LOUISIANA”), similar to UC Berkeley (“CALIFORNIA”), UT Knoxville (“TENNESSEE”), UA Fayetteville (“ARKANSAS”), UNC Chapel Hill ("NORTH CAROLINA"), and UT Austin (“TEXAS”), among others, is the largest and oldest of the schools that share the same name. Fortunately, the legislative law regarding the name change only applies to university and state employees. This state policy does not govern UL alumni, supporters, other universities, and certainly not the autonomy of the press. This leaves the door open for UL Lafayette to be commonly and popularly known as LOUISIANA, while maintaining the official name.

The goal is not to become the state's flagship university per se, as that position is held by Louisiana State University and A&M College at Baton Rouge. The goal is to provide excellence in education and community service to the Acadiana area as well as the entire state of Louisiana. Competition fosters excellence.

In 1991, UL became the state's first Doctoral II institution, which means it awards a high number of doctoral degrees and has a significant research agenda. This designation elevated the university to the ranks of Georgia Tech, Louisville, Clemson, William & Mary, and the University of Mississippi. Since that time, UL has continued to advance rapidly by implementing selective admissions, raising over $75 million in privately held assets, and earning an all-time high of nearly $30 million in R & D funding. Additionally, UL now offers 108 degrees in 10 colleges and schools.

Research

UL hosts three active research parks including the New Iberia Research Center, one of the largest primate centers in the United States & home of nationally renowned researcher, Dr. Daniel Povinelli. This UL professor is winner of one eight $1,000,000 McDonnell "Millennium Grants." Another center of research is the University Research Park that hosts the National Wetlands Center, National Marine Fisheries Center, and a state-funded robotics & virtual reality center. Other tenants include the NASA Regional Application Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In progress include a University Hotel and a 3-D/4-D seismic research facility. The third is the "Cade Farm," a 600-acre agricultural research facility in nearby St. Martin parish, which is an international leader in crawfish research and renewable resources.

Leadership

The Department of Commerce has designated UL as the Manufacturing Extension Service for the state of Louisiana. Dr. Earnest Gaines and Wilma Subra are two UL faculty members who have each received one of the coveted MacArthur “Genius Grants,” the former for literature, and the latter for environmental activism. UL is founder and one of three governing institutions of the Louisiana University Marine Consortium, a state-of-the-art marine research facility in Cocodrie, Louisiana. According to the NRC, UL has the best computer science program in Louisiana and surrounding states. UL also is widely recognized for its architecture, biology, engineering, and CAD-CAM programs among many other areas of excellence.

DiversityUL’s contributions well exceed academics and research, however, as the University has proven an international pioneer in human relations. In 1954, three months after the landmark Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, UL became the first school in the country to follow the Supreme Court's directive as it opened its doors to African American students. In ensuing years, it became the first school in the South to ban "Dixie" and the Rebel flag. In 1980 UL became the first historically white school in the South to elect an African-American as student government president. UL retains one of the most diverse student populations including large numbers of not only traditional American minorities, but also older students, foreign students, and physically challenged students among others.

Perhaps more impressive than any of these, however, is that the University has made these strides with resources most schools would find impossible. The University of Louisiana remains one of the lowest funded universities in the country. UL is state-funded at only 60% of the average for schools in its class. Despite this, the university surges forward in research, teaching, athletics, and alumni success. It continues to baffle visiting scholars, certification committees, and college administrators alike.

Competition is good. It fosters excellence by making all involved the best they can be. There is much attention given to "flagship" status in the state of Louisiana. But, a flagship acts as a leader and in the best interest of all involved – something that has been severely missed in Louisiana over the last several decades.

SUCCESS?In the 2000 NCAA Basketball Tournament, ESPN & CBS referred to the Cajuns as The University of Louisiana, the long sought after name for the school. However, before their appearance in the 2000 College World Series, at the behest of LSU staff and administrators, ESPN discontinued the name "The University of Louisiana," and began using the longer and clumsier name of "Louisiana-Lafayette." The Cajuns were occasionally called “Lafayette,” which can be confused with the Lafayette College "Leopards" of Easton, PA.

Since some apparently believe in full names, it is interesting to note that ESPN did not reciprocate by calling LSU by its full name, “Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College at Baton Rouge.” LSU baseball coach Turtle Thomas even publicly stated that LSU was the University of Louisiana during the 2000 CWS. As the LSU and University of Louisiana systems are separate distinct entities, this only served to confuse the situation further. Why do they care?

Since then, however, the university has become popularly known as Louisiana, at least locally. Most of the local media cooperate and promote the name. Additionally, many national academic and athletic publications recognize the university as UL. Students are proud that they attend the University of Louisiana.
    Yawn.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNNATION
    Since then, however, the university has become popularly known as Louisiana, at least locally. Most of the local media cooperate and promote the name.
    Those 3 words in bold sum up the above boring dribble. Really, who cares what people within 25-50 miles of USL think.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfood
    Until we clean house, it'll be status quo.
    Although I disagree with a lot of what you say DF, I will totally agree with this. And it starts at the top...

Varsity Bulldog CAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really nice CAJUNNATION's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Those 3 words in bold sum up the above boring dribble. Really, who cares what people within 25-50 miles of USL think.
    Resistance is futile.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    Although I disagree with a lot of what you say DF, I will totally agree with this. And it starts at the top...

DITTO!

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    You have no class.

Nah, I think he's just defending the fact that he'd rather not read about someone tooting their own horn from some other university on our board. He's a classy fellow. We really don't need to start this STUPID name BS on our board the way it has taken over the ULL and LSU boards. To me, it's "Cajuns" which we all agree on and that's it. To Hell with all the retarded bickering.

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7
    Nah, I think he's just defending the fact that he'd rather not read about someone tooting their own horn from some other university on our board. He's a classy fellow. We really don't need to start this STUPID name BS on our board the way it has taken over the ULL and LSU boards. To me, it's "Cajuns" which we all agree on and that's it. To Hell with all the retarded bickering.
    Which retard turned this into a name thread? I started the thread with a link about a bad prediction for Tech football this year. Some Tech fans took this as a dig at the Bulldogs and started putting us down by calling us USL. Pretty Middle Schoolish so I assume the poster that started the name issue is a retard. Who was the first to use USL?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcajun90
    Who was the first to use USL?
    That would be me. This is my quote:

"No way USL should be #104 with Babb running the offense."

Hmmmm, doesn't seem too condescending to me. Actually, it appears it was more of a complement to your football team.

You guys tickle me with that name stuff...the way you get your panties in a wad over nothing. Honestly, I've stopped going to the Cajun board because of all the "Neckster", "loly Polly" namecalling and having my posts edited to say UL instead of ULL.

And Tyler has tons of class.

Big Grin Re: Are you guys really going to be that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow
    That would be me. This is my quote:

"No way USL should be #104 with Babb running the offense."

Hmmmm, doesn't seem too condescending to me. Actually, it appears it was more of a complement to your football team.

You guys tickle me with that name stuff...the way you get your panties in a wad over nothing. Honestly, I've stopped going to the Cajun board because of all the "Neckster", "loly Polly" namecalling and having my posts edited to say UL instead of ULL.

And Tyler has tons of class.
    I don't think you meant that as a put down because in a way it was a compliment about the Cajuns. However if you use our old name, you run the risk of it being taken as a put down. I would never call Tech, Louisiana Polytechnical Insitute unless I was trying to insult someone. The name thing is always coming up but it is usually someone other than a Cajun fan that is making an issue of it.

As far as Tyler, I'm sure he is a fine person. Internet boards are like getting behind the wheel of a car. We behave in ways we wouldn't normally behave. What he said about the Cajuns was stupid and Middle Schoolish so if the shoe fits... Nice of you to try and take up for him. Perhaps now his mommy will post.

Champ tylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the rough tylerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcajun90
    I don't think you meant that as a put down because in a way it was a compliment about the Cajuns. However if you use our old name, you run the risk of it being taken as a put down. I would never call Tech, Louisiana Polytechnical Insitute unless I was trying to insult someone. The name thing is always coming up but it is usually someone other than a Cajun fan that is making an issue of it.

As far as Tyler, I'm sure he is a fine person. Internet boards are like getting behind the wheel of a car. We behave in ways we wouldn't normally behave. What he said about the Cajuns was stupid and Middle Schoolish so if the shoe fits... Nice of you to try and take up for him. Perhaps now his mommy will post.
    Cajun,

Feel free to call us which ever "name" you want to call us. Lolly Polly, Necksters, we don't care.

You will ALWAYS be USL to our OLDER alumni and you will be ULL to our younger alumni. Ya'll caused the confusion, not US.

+ Reply to Thread