+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bulldogs Break Six Strength and Conditioning Records

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

Bulldogs Break Six Strength and Conditioning Records

</B>

RUSTON - Louisiana Tech's offseason conditioning program under the direction of Yancy McKnight continues to pay dividends for the Bulldog football program.

McKnight, who is entering his second year as the head strength and conditioning coach at Tech, saw six records broken during the past off-season by members of the Bulldog football team.

All Louisiana Tech's strength and conditioning records are categorized by position played.

Senior center Marcus Stewart broke the squat record previously held by Shawn Murff (old mark 605) with a mark of 635 pounds. Junior tackle Marcus Lindsey broke his own record in the squat by 25 pounds with a mark of 530 pounds.

One bench press record fell as senior defensive end Quarvay Winbush bested Travon Brown's old mark of 410 with a total of 415 pounds.

Stewart bested his own mark in the power clean with a lift of 371 pounds (his old mark was 365) while sophomore linebacker Anthony Crosby broke Jeremy Hamilton's power clean record with a lift of 376 (old mark was 360).

In the vertical high jump, junior safety Dez Abrams broke his own record with a jump of 40 ½ inches, besting his old mark by an inch.

Under McKnight's guidance, 14 Louisiana Tech strength and conditioning records have been broken in just over a year.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Re: Bulldogs Break Six Strength and Conditioning Records

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg04
    </B>

RUSTON - Louisiana Tech's offseason conditioning program under the direction of Yancy McKnight continues to pay dividends for the Bulldog football program.

McKnight, who is entering his second year as the head strength and conditioning coach at Tech, saw six records broken during the past off-season by members of the Bulldog football team.

All Louisiana Tech's strength and conditioning records are categorized by position played.

Senior center Marcus Stewart broke the squat record previously held by Shawn Murff (old mark 605) with a mark of 635 pounds. Junior tackle Marcus Lindsey broke his own record in the squat by 25 pounds with a mark of 530 pounds.

One bench press record fell as senior defensive end Quarvay Winbush bested Travon Brown's old mark of 410 with a total of 415 pounds.

Stewart bested his own mark in the power clean with a lift of 371 pounds (his old mark was 365) while sophomore linebacker Anthony Crosby broke Jeremy Hamilton's power clean record with a lift of 376 (old mark was 360).

In the vertical high jump, junior safety Dez Abrams broke his own record with a jump of 40 ½ inches, besting his old mark by an inch.

Under McKnight's guidance, 14 Louisiana Tech strength and conditioning records have been broken in just over a year.

All very good. Id like to see some running records also. Not talking about 40 yard dash either.

For example, all LB's need to be running a mile in under 5:45. RB's, WR's and DB's under 5:30.

OLine and Dline under 6:10.

Something like that.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg
    All very good. Id like to see some running records also. Not talking about 40 yard dash either.

For example, all LB's need to be running a mile in under 5:45. RB's, WR's and DB's under 5:30.

OLine and Dline under 6:10.

Something like that.
    I know I am a little more advanced in age than these players, but to ask a 300 lb. lineman for a 6:10 mile is a stretch. I weight about 155 and can barely touch that. Maybe what you really need to say is that they need a good distance running base built.

I have a friend that played LB at SAU several years ago. He was required to run an 800 in like 3:30 minutes before returning for 2 a days.

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Wow Oline and Dline in 6:10 thats asking alot. 7:10 may even be pushing it.

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

I know you were just putting up number, but i was just making an observation.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by steltz
    Wow Oline and Dline in 6:10 thats asking alot. 7:10 may even be pushing it.
    It probably is asking alot and your right, I was just throwing out numbers. In HS we had to break 6:00 for the baseball team or we were not allowed to start! My best ever was around 5:35 and that was when I was in great shape.....but maybe not great cardiovascular shape. There is a difference between being strong and being well conditioned as Im sure you know.

I will say this, however. Boise State's linemen are in great shape. ALWAYS. Same with Urban Myers Utes. Might be why they were both in the top tier in rushing yards yet neither had dominate RB's.

Granite Boise's O-linemen probably weigh 35-50 lbs less than ours on average, but is that neccessarily a bad thing? I dont think so. Those guys are warriors, bulldozers when it comes to getting push off the line. ESPECIALLY in the 2nd half of games. All you have to do is watch tape of that Boise debacle last year, their little O-linemen were destroying our front 7 in the 2nd half. I mean they were pushing us back 5 yards before the running backs could barily touch the ball.

WE dont have a Moats to break tackles in the backfield, at least I dont think we do. If we are going to be successful running the ball, the O-line will need to do a hell of job getting push. ESPECIALLY in the 2nd half of games, which is really when you need to run it down the other teams throat, esp. when you are leading in the game.

I will get off my conditioning soap box now. Mick and Tech88 say we are in better shape this year, I will cross my fingers that they are right.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

ALTA-I did not say that we were in "better shape" than any time in the past. I did say that McKnight will hand those who participate in the summer program, which includes practically all of the starters, to the coaches on Aug. 10 in great physical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14
    ALTA-I did not say that we were in "better shape" than any time in the past. I did say that McKnight will hand those who participate in the summer program, which includes practically all of the starters, to the coaches on Aug. 10 in great physical condition.
    Sorry, didnt mean to misquote you. I hope we are in better shape than the past, though. We have to know what is at stake.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

ALTA-I completely agree with you.

Big Dog Bulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg04
    </B>

FYI
    it's great that these numbers show improvment with the current team, but don't think these are all-time Tech records being broken. most of the time when a new strength coach comes in to a program, there is no real communication between the present and past coaches. Most records are
    "re-set".
    there were plenty of guys on the 96-99 teams that had better numbers. There were no "records" kept between the strength staffs of Fitts to Ciano.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

This looks like a great year to be running a 4-3 on defense with Winbush(6-5,262) on one end and Ruffins(6-5,279) on the other and Love (6-4,325) and Muse (6-3,303) in the middle. It's a shame Love wasn't redshirted.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    This looks like a great year to be running a 4-3 on defense with Winbush(6-5,262) on one end and Ruffins(6-5,279) on the other and Love (6-4,325) and Muse (6-3,303) in the middle. It's a shame Love wasn't redshirted.
    maybe as a change up, but we have about (Coach Mick: help with the number) 6 guys that could be legitimate starters. To be sucessful you MUST play to your strength and your depth.

+ Reply to Thread