+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Early

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting Early

Sounds like a great work ethic to me!

Tech signees get early start on college life
    Mangum, Thomas begin conditioning for Lady Techsters

By Scott Beder
    sbeder@thenewsstar.com

Eboni Mangum and Quantae Thomas have decided not to wait until August to begin their college careers.

The two Louisiana Tech Lady Techster signees have enrolled in summer school and started voluntary conditioning with the hopes of speeding the learning curve every freshman faces.

"I think it would be harder for me if I didn't come to summer school and working out like I have been," said Mangum, a 2005 WBCA All-American. "I'm trying to prove to myself and the coaching staff that I'm ready to come in and do what I have to do and hopefully get (the Techsters) back to the Final Four and win a championship." Mangum, a 5-8 guard out of John Foster Dulles High School in Houston, is one of the most heralded Techster recruits in recent memory. She was a four-year letter winner at Dulles where she led her team to a 124-23 mark during that span.

She scored 2,502 career points and averaged 20.5 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.9 steals and 3.8 assists as a senior. Mangum was rated as the 18th-best player in the country by Michael White's All-Star Girls Report and played in the WBCA All-Star game at the Final Four.

"Eboni is a tremendous athlete who is a winner," said first-year coach Chris Long. "I had the opportunity to watch her in WBCA All-Star game at the Final Four and the thing that stood out to me was how good a defender she is already. A lot of high school players have a long way to go defensively. She was a couple of points away from being the MVP."

Although the Techsters are deep at guard next year, Long expects Mangum to have an immediate impact and her early start this summer helps.

"They do get a chance to get acclimated to college life and I think that's a huge advantage," Long said. "It's simple stuff, like learning which buildings are which and having that opportunity to experience college life before the fall will benefit them.''

Mangum will push for playing time at the shooting guard spot manned by Lakiste Barkus, who is out of eligibility, last season.

"She has very good lateral quickness, handles the ball very well and can get by people," Long said. "I'm very excited to get her into practice in October. She's a special player."

Thomas gives the Techsters a bigger option at guard. The 5-11 standout from Cedar Hill (Texas) High School is probably slated for backup duty at the three spot. But like Mangum, she is doing everything she can to have an impact as a freshman by attending summer school.

"I wanted to get a start on classes and start running a little bit," Thomas said. "It will let me know what to expect when the fall comes. I know there's a whole lot expected.''

Mangum and Thomas's days begin at 6 a.m. with a voluntary conditioning workout under the guidance of Tech strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight. After the running, they go to class until lunch time, then lift weights at 1:30.

"It's hard," said Thomas, who was selected to the Dallas Morning News All-Area first team as a junior. "(McKnight) almost killed me one day. I've never lifted weights so hard in my life. He makes you want to cry.''

But that's a lesson Mangum and Thomas are glad to be learning now — three months from the start of official conditioning drills.

"They're not going to have to go through the first month figuring things out," Long said. "They will come in September and be able to fall in place with the returners and we can get after it.''

Originally published June 16, 2005

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: Starting Early

Quote Originally Posted by champion110

"I think it would be harder for me if I didn't come to summer school and working out like I have been," said Mangum, a 2005 WBCA All-American. "I'm trying to prove to myself and the coaching staff that I'm ready to come in and do what I have to do and hopefully get (the Techsters) back to the Final Four and win a championship."

Originally published June 16, 2005

Fantastic attitude. Sounds like a team leader already. I hope she reaches her goal - and for that matter, all of her goals in life.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Yeh I like to see this. A person with great talent who also knows they have to work. You can find one or the other many times, but to have the combo of work ethic and talent leads to championships. I hope that is what happens for us.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that these girls are going to be pumped up this season. They are going to be out to prove what they can do. Long is an expert at breaking down the films of the other team, so that will be a huge advantage. He is, also, a motivator. Having Brooke on the bench to pump them up just is icing on the cake. This is the way I see our season:

Undefeated in the WAC - who could challenge us? Fresno State might have a chance, if all that talent they had can get it together under this new coach, but if we are "on", they won't touch us.

OOC - We will probably lose to Tennessee and, maybe one other. I haven't seen the schedule to make a good prediction, though. We need a good OOC win to get into the rankings.

We will start out not in the top 25, of course. I think we will get in about a month into the season and make it up to around #15 or so. With a good rpi and seeding, we can get deep in the tournament.

Tasha, Shan, Ty, Tamika, and Margaret will probably start at the beginning of the season, but I think these two plus our transfer will be rotated heavily.

I hope Margaret is working out over the summer. If she could build some muscle and use it, she could start to shine.

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Looks exciting. I pumped up already. When does the season start?

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

We bring our players in on August 10. First game is in the Swamp on Sep. 10. Am I in the right forum?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14
    We bring our players in on August 10. First game is in the Swamp on Sep. 10. Am I in the right forum?
    Mick, are you getting confused again? Yeh, I am happy for the Lady Techsters, but I will delay my enthusiasm until after football season. I can only focus on one thing at a time.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

HUSS-Confusion seems to be a growing part of my existence.

I am very excited about the football season, as well. CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS BORING SEASON OVER WITH!

110-if there's a guy we can count on, its you!

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I am very excited about the football season, as well. CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS BORING SEASON OVER WITH!
    Me too! In an effort to bring on football season, I think I shall wear my Bradshaw Tech jersey around this weekend and see how many Alabama fans I can find.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy
    Me too! In an effort to bring on football season, I think I shall wear my Bradshaw Tech jersey around this weekend and see how many Alabama fans I can find.
    Wouldn't a Rattay jersey piss them off worse?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Yes, the Dawgs lost to Alabama in the Bradshaw era, but it wasn't his fault!

+ Reply to Thread