+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlon on Louisiana Tech

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Athlon on Louisiana Tech

Haha, I second that motion.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy
    I'd be willing to give Bick a one-year extention if we go 11-0 and a big bowl win.
    I sure would like for us to be able to have that discussion at the end of the year. May as well dream big, huh?

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

That would be extremely generous of you, fellas! Just finish 11-0 with perhaps a big bowl win & that will earn another year? Very generous! Speaking of the HOT SEAT---there are not many football coaches in America that are NOT on the HOT SEAT, year-in & year-out. Our "we want it big, and we want it NOW" culture has made the coaching profession a very hazardous vocation in which to dwell! This is especially true with the BCS schools--along with all the $ comes a huge bucket of high expectations. It will be interesting to see how the Gator Nation reacts IF Urban & his gang drop a couple of close ones to SEC opponents they are supposed to beat. If that happens, his star will dull, very quickly.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

As long as we're dreaming big, I sure wish we could be the first ones to dull Urban's shiny star.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey... you never know. Maybe Florida will blow up in Urban's face. We'll see in September I guess.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

i feel we have to beat the 4 teams that are or were in the sunbelt last year and we have to beat san jose. i feel like bick has to go if he doesnt win 5 games. if all he does is win those 5, i wont be excited, but 5-6 is the least i expect. if he loses one of those games, then we better beat someone else to make up for it.

of our remaining games, i think hawaii at home and nevada on the road are certainly beatable, and i would like to think that we could finish 6-5 or 7-4. however, bicknell better not be getting any contract extensions for 6-5 or 7-4.

kansas, fresno, and boise are also beatable but not likely. i would pass out contract extensions like this:

8-3 gets one more year. as much as i think he sucks, its only fair.

9-2 gets two more.

10-1 gets three more.

11-0 he can have whatever he wants.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

JAY-there are many on this board that would be pugilistic over your assessment of the record as it relates to Bick's tenure.

I say he needs to go at least 9-2, so that he then has a winning record at Tech. Otherwise, he should hit the friggin' road. It's doable too. The problem is, he's lost so many cheesy games that he owes us a good effort against those lower-tier teams. I'll puke if we lose to one of the current or ex Belt teams this season. They can improve and maybe be some great WAC opponents in the future, but this season... come on.. I'm sick of things like beating Tulsa and exclaiming how wonderful it is.

Champ kdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14
    KD-Glen Mason left us for "personal reasons." Please know that this is not a loss that will have even the slightest impact on our team. It will free up another scholarship in 2-06 for some deserving player or perhaps even a current walk-on.

HD-you make this sound so EASY. A quick look at our 05 schedule translates into a 7-4 record? WOW! I only wish we had you around from 1967-1979--that would have saved me so much wear & tear on my brain & body just to KNOW what our record was going to be prior to the start of each season! How will you feel if we go 7-4? Satisfied? What if we finish 8-3? Contract extension for Bick? How about 9-2 with a big bowl win? Contract extension PLUS huge raise? God forbid, 6-5 or 5-6! What then???
    Big M- I would Love to see us 7-5 or better. I really like the depth we have this year and think 7-5 is a mark we can hit. 11-0 is not going to happen......but if it did we would give Jack 4 more years. I would like to see him get to 500 as a Coach before we start given him extra years.

I just think Jack has "Cut his teeth" so to speak. I really think he has a great chance to win back alot of "FANS" this year. We paid the dues the last couple of years as Fans and a Bowl win would be a nice Gift from good OLD JACK.
    He is not a young coach anymore...7 year vet. Time to win like a 7 Year Vet.

GO DAWGS.

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

Going to have to agree with Coach and Jay on this one.

Every team fans expects to finish 7-4 or 8-3 each season. Do the math and it does not work out. I think listening to Arkansas Fans expect Nutt to go 5-3 or 6-2 each year in the SEC has made me rethink about our situation.

At the same, I do think it is reasonable to expect a coach to win. Over the long run, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a coach at Tech to win an average of 6-6.5 games a year (5-3 in the WAC). Rising to 7 games or better once he has established a program. That is setting a standard above mediocrity, but certainly an attainable goal. Lets get their before worring about 8, 9 and 10 win seasons.

Problem with Bicknell, is that he is currenly not winning at that rate, or 50% for that matter. With one year remaining on his contract and a more managable schedule, Bicknell knows he needs to win this season. If it were me 7-4 would be required for Bicknell to get a one year extension, consistance for more than that, 6-5 to see the last year of the contract.

My bigger problem with Bicknell is his inability to sell the program. At this level, you can not have a coach that you can not send out in front of alumni because he is going to put his foot in his mouth or put a microphone in front of him without he saying something absurd. Their were a lot of people unhappy in Raleigh last year, but it would have been much worse if Mr. Chuck would have said beating UZU (ECU) was the greatest moment of his life.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14

HD-you make this sound so EASY. A quick look at our 05 schedule translates into a 7-4 record? WOW! I only wish we had you around from 1967-1979--that would have saved me so much wear & tear on my brain & body just to KNOW what our record was going to be prior to the start of each season! How will you feel if we go 7-4? Satisfied? What if we finish 8-3? Contract extension for Bick? How about 9-2 with a big bowl win? Contract extension PLUS huge raise? God forbid, 6-5 or 5-6! What then???
    Mickey, that's what I love about guys like you........you make putting on your shoes in the morning sound difficult. :icon_wink

Fact is, IT SHOULD be easy this year. It ain't brain surgery. Louisiana Tech isn't exactly playing an SEC schedule. Just how "watered down" does Louisiana Tech's football schedule NEED to be before you will actually admit that Tech should finish 7-4?? If we dropped down to Div 1AA and played nothing but SWAC teams, would you then admit that we should AT LEAST post a 7-4 record? I suspect not.

Just how low do expectations have to be to make you happy?

If Bicknell and company can't score AT LEAST a 7-4 record this year, he HONESTLY needs to pursue another profession. Most all of us have jobs where certain expectations are EXPECTED to be met. Bicknell should be no different. This is Bicknell's 7th season as head coach at Tech. He can either cut it or he can't. The honeymoon period is over.

Hell......even Louisiana-Monroe (ULM) is picked by Street & Smith to finish 2nd in the Sunbelt this season. I don't hear the folks over in Monroe whining.

Funny how Boise State's Dan Hawkins and Fresno State's Pat Hill usually make it LOOK easy. UTEP coach Mike Price sure made it look easy last year. Then again, I bet these guys tie their shoes in the morning without too much difficulty.

HD

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Mickey, that's what I love about guys like you........you make putting on your shoes in the morning sound difficult. :icon_wink

Fact is, IT SHOULD be easy this year. It ain't brain surgery. Louisiana Tech isn't exactly playing an SEC schedule. Just how "watered down" does Louisiana Tech's football schedule NEED to be before you will actually admit that Tech should finish 7-4?? If we dropped down to Div 1AA and played nothing but SWAC teams, would you then admit that we should AT LEAST post a 7-4 record.

Just how low do expectations have to be to make you happy?

If Bicknell and company can't score AT LEAST a 7-4 record this year, he HONESTLY needs to pursue another profession. Most all of us have jobs where certain expectations are EXPECTED to be met. Bicknell should be no different.

Hell......even Louisiana-Monroe (ULM) is picked by Street & Smith to finish 2nd in the Sunbelt this season. I don't hear the folks over in Monroe whining.

Funny how Boise State's Dan Hawkins and Fresno State's Pat Hill usually make it LOOK easy. UTEP coach Mike Price sure made it look easy last year. Then again, I bet these guys tie their shoes in the morning without too much difficulty.

HD
    Thank you! Man our expectations have dropped like a bomb under Bicknell. Of course Jack will be happy with 6-6, 5-6 or whatever. But if we can't win 7 games against this schedule we should drop football.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    Thank you! Man our expectations have dropped like a bomb under Bicknell. Of course Jack will be happy with 6-6, 5-6 or whatever. But if we can't win 7 games against this schedule we should drop football.
    You know things have gotten bad when you hear our very respected "old timers" --such as Big Mick-- become defensive and paranoid over a 7-4 prediction.

But, I don't even blame Mick. He's just a great example of a fan who's been beaten down over the past 7 years to where he doesn't have ANY expectations anymore. And that's exactly why Tech's fan support is so weak today.

HD

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY
    11-0 he can have whatever he wants.
    IF JB goes 11-0, 11-1, or 12-0, he will be "movin on up" and everyone will be wondering who the next HC will be...

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

I think you guys confuse "desired outcome" with "realistic projections."

+ Reply to Thread