+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GSU rejects ESPN deal

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

GSU rejects ESPN deal

I thought this was an interesting article. It's something we need to think about in the future but I'm not sure that we have any say in the matter if it's a WAC game.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...506280340/1006

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Re: GSU rejects ESPN deal

There are college games every Thursday night. It doesn't make sense why they said No!
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

It is about ticket sales. Plain and simple. GSU alum drive to Saturday games and make a weekend event out of it. If they play Thursday, they are seen nationally, but it hurts them in the pocket book.

Good descision in my eyes.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

I just like the idea of someone saying no to ESPN. ESPN thinks it is college football, and I guess to a certain extent it is college football. But a school like Grambling knows it is Grambling, not the next Miami or Michigan. It will never compete with these schools nor does it wish to compete with these schools. The Bayou Classic is probably enough national PR to keep Grambling and Southern on the national map.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Right or wrong, good or bad, I now have a lot more respect for the Grambling administration. I say way to go GSU!

Puppy loudbark has turned a few heads around hereloudbark has turned a few heads around here

I don't think they're blue, but man, those are some balls! More power to them - an administration that actually recognizes and uses things unique to their athletic program to promote their University. Imagine.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Grambling already has a huge fan base. They are known nationally for what they are. They don't have near as much to lose by turning ESPN down. I am glad they did it, though.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

speeking of grambling's "huge" fan base, has anyone here actually been to a grambling football game (not counting the bayou classic)? my roommate and i went to one one saturday that Tech was not playing. i think it was their homecoming. their little dug-out stadium was about 1/4 full and we had great seats on the 50-yard-line about 10 rows up (despite arriving after kick-off). the refusal might have been in order to avoid the embarassment of an empty stadium on tv. (not that WE'VE ever had that problem :icon_wink )

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    speeking of grambling's "huge" fan base, has anyone here actually been to a grambling football game (not counting the bayou classic)? my roommate and i went to one one saturday that Tech was not playing. i think it was their homecoming. their little dug-out stadium was about 1/4 full and we had great seats on the 50-yard-line about 10 rows up (despite arriving after kick-off). the refusal might have been in order to avoid the embarassment of an empty stadium on tv. (not that WE'VE ever had that problem :icon_wink )
    the problem with gsu is that they don't actually have that many fans in north louisiana. that's why they usually only play two or three of their home games at robinson stadium. they'll play "home" games in cincinnatti, dallas and new orleans because their alums are so spread out nationally. if you don't believe gsu has a national following, you are sorely mistaken.

theprofessor

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been to one of their games since the late 80's. It was fantastic, though. At halftime, all the lights were turned off and the band was introduced. The stadium was almost at capacity that night and it was a show that I will never forget. Truly entertaining!

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    the problem with gsu is that they don't actually have that many fans in north louisiana. that's why they usually only play two or three of their home games at robinson stadium. they'll play "home" games in cincinnatti, dallas and new orleans because their alums are so spread out nationally. if you don't believe gsu has a national following, you are sorely mistaken.

theprofessor
    i'm sorry you misunderstood. i did not mean to imply that gsu does not have a large national following, only that they have trouble filling their stands -- just like us.

champion: i wish i had got to see the band really perform, but sadly, a group of band alumni played a watered-down set with a small group of current band members for homecoming. very disappointing.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    It is about ticket sales. Plain and simple. GSU alum drive to Saturday games and make a weekend event out of it. If they play Thursday, they are seen nationally, but it hurts them in the pocket book.

Good descision in my eyes.
    Michigan Dawg,

You mean to tell me that they would make more money by not playing on TV???? Even if they sold out, how many people are we talking - 25,000???? I honestly do not know. Say they do have 25,000 and they sell out, they should expect $500,000 total, that is at $20 a ticket, do they charge more than that? They can't make more from ESPN and the gate sales????

I bet you that the SWAC loved the fact that Grambling is so independent! I would imagine that some of those SWAC schools would have loved the split, along with the coverage of their conference.................

DFiH

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous
    Michigan Dawg,

You mean to tell me that they would make more money by not playing on TV???? Even if they sold out, how many people are we talking - 25,000???? I honestly do not know. Say they do have 25,000 and they sell out, they should expect $500,000 total, that is at $20 a ticket, do they charge more than that? They can't make more from ESPN and the gate sales????

I bet you that the SWAC loved the fact that Grambling is so independent! I would imagine that some of those SWAC schools would have loved the split, along with the coverage of their conference.................

DFiH
    I still hold firm to my initial comment, but to accurately answer the question, I would have to see what GSU's tickets sales numbers PLUS per cap numbers are (parking, concessions, merchandise, programs, vending) vs. what they would have received from ESPN to see what the loss or gain would potentialy be.

Do you know those numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    I still hold firm to my initial comment, but to accurately answer the question, I would have to see what GSU's tickets sales numbers PLUS per cap numbers are (parking, concessions, merchandise, programs, vending) vs. what they would have received from ESPN to see what the loss or gain would potentialy be.

Do you know those numbers?
    when i went there were less than 5000 people there (being generous). i don't remember how much i paid, but i'm sure it was no more than $10. that is the greatest extent to which i can help.

+ Reply to Thread