+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hockey is back!!!!

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

hockey is back!!!!

i know nobody cares but me but i'm pumped:

NHL players - relieved, happy - ratify contract

CURTIS RUSH
    STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

National Hockey League players have ratified their new six-year collective agreement.

The announcement was made by players association president Bob Goodenow at a news conference this afternoon.

The players were relieved and happy.

“We’re here because we want to play hockey,” said Montreal Canadiens goaltender Jose Theodore. “This is the best deal we could do right now.”

The deal allows for hockey this season after a 301-day lockout, the longest work stoppage in the history of professional sports.

The actual vote count was not immediately known, and it wasn’t certain whether today’s vote would be revealed anytime soon.

However, players leaving a downtown Toronto hotel today seemed to feel the vote would pass, although not all 700 or so players were happy with accepting a salary cap and 24-per-cent rollback in salaries.

NHL president Gary Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow were to hold a news conference today at 4 p.m.

“Some guys will be bitter,” said New York Rangers forward Doug Weight. “But it’s a negotiation.”

Some, like veteran Vancouver Canucks forward Mike Keane, told thestar.com that the players didn’t want the prospect of sitting out a second season.

But, “I think the vote will be closer than a lot of people think,” he said.

All players interviewed, however, expressed support for Goodenow, even though he has been publicly criticized by media and some players for taking the players out for a season with a strategy of refusing to accept a salary cap.

“He did a great job. It’s a tough market. The guys on the committee did the best they could.”

Then, at one point, he proposed the 24 per cent salary rollback.

Some players said that proposal caught them by surprise.

No one would talk about the controversial proposal to have the players put a percentage of their salaries in an escrow fund until the new salary cap can be calculated at the end of each season.

If league-wide salaries exceed 54 per cent of NHL revenues, the players will be directed to return a portion of their incomes from the escrow fund.

“It gets complicated,” Keane said, adding that the players association told the players that how this will work won’t be known until the games get under way and it’s more clearly known how much the lockout cost the league in fan support.

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Theodore told reporters that the deal isn’t as bad for the players as some critics are pointing out.

The 28-year-old particularly likes the fact that he will be entitled to become an unrestricted free agent after this coming season.

In the summer of 2007, players who are 28 or have seven seasons will qualify. In 2008 — and for the remainder of the agreement —players who are 27 or have seven seasons of experience will qualify.

“Before you had to wait until you are 31, so I’m excited about that,” Theodore said. “It’s going to be a whole new ball game for me. There’s a lot of good things for players. A guy like Vinny Lecavalier (Tampa Bay Lightning) only has one more year and he can become a free agent.”

Theodore also said he’s looking forward to some exciting new rule changes that should make the game more popular with the fans, including the prospect of shootouts.

“It’s going to be a new era, a new beginning for hockey,” he said. He’s even in favour of shootouts — “as long as they don’t count against my personal statistics,” he said with a smile.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: hockey is back!!!!

If only IceGator hockey were back... sob..sniffle...

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

I am pumped

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

woooo-hooooooooooooooooo-snore.

Champ soccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nice soccer_dawg9's Avatar

Hey sik-m-boi, I'm pumped, too! I just hope the Av's don't drop from the elite of the NHL. What do you think will happen with Sydney Crosbie?

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

yea I'm pumped bring back Emilo and the Mighty Ducks!

Just kidding SiK-M I'm glad hockey is back for you. Now they could update the PS2 hockey game for ya.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh helllllllllllllllll yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh. We were gonna try to hit the Blues on our trip to see Tech play Kansas. Were going to St. Louis, just depended on which days. Man i hope we can center it around Blues Hockey.

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

maybe we could start a hockey team and hire a womens tennis coach to head up the team? Do you think any of our WAC members would be interested in hockey? Just think of the Tech v Hawaii match up!

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soccer_dawg9
    Hey sik-m-boi, I'm pumped, too! I just hope the Av's don't drop from the elite of the NHL. What do you think will happen with Sydney Crosbie?
    i'd think and hope crosby will go to europe or ahl before he comes in...he's only 17, but more importantly he's 5'10"-185 (about sakic sized) and has never played against defensemen the caliber of stevens, blake, or pronger...there's a major difference in taking a hit from those guys and taking one quebec junior major hockey league. i think he's going to be great but i think europe or the ahl might toughen him up...but the way the league is strugling and given that the proposed new rules would allow for a lot more open skating (and less defense), we might be seeing him pretty soon.

incidently, you should be concerned about your avs. with the new cap you won't be able to have the luxury of sakic, forsberg, kayia, tanguy, selanne (all of which would be 1st line guys on almost any team in the league) blake, and foote...(forgive me if i missed any of your all-stars). i think you'll wind up keeping sakic, forsberg, tanguy, and foote...but the other 3 might be headed out. still a good team with a lot of young talent...just get a goalie.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

What do you mean "back?" Where was it?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    What do you mean "back?" Where was it?
    My thoughts exactly. I never missed it. And according to the network analysts, neither did TV viewers.

In America, hockey is the sport kids play when they aren't good enough to play football.....or basketball......or baseball. :icon_wink

HD

Varsity Bulldog KayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around here

Hog, I think you are thinking of soccer....hockey is further down the list

ok guys, that's enough making fun. hockey is exteremely popular in the northeast and the midwest...what you are saying may be true here in the south but it is not representative of the entire nation.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi
    ok guys, that's enough making fun. hockey is exteremely popular in the northeast and the midwest...what you are saying may be true here in the south but it is not representative of the entire nation.
    Sorry about that.......Hockey is such an easy target......well....I just couldn't help myself.

HD

Varsity Bulldog KayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around here

I wasn't making fun, I was telling the truth.

Hockey is trying to popularize itself by incorporating an aspect of soccer into its games. I am of course talking about the shootout.

+ Reply to Thread