+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Lance get a 7th straight Tour win?

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Re: Can Lance get a 7th straight Tour win?

I want to know what Lance does with all of those stuffed Lions he receives on the leader's podium each day? He has close to 80 of those things. He would have to have an extra room in his house just to keep all of those things.

Don't count out Levi Leipheimer. He is my second favorite rider and is currently 7th overall. I hope he ends up in second!

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    It's not too different than the way a RB gets the glory while the OL toils in the trenches. Only a handful of riders have the talent to win the Tour. For instance, as good as he is, George Hincapie could never win the Tour de France, even if he had Lance Armstrong on his team working for him. Look at Floyd Landis, Roberto Heras, and Tyler Hamilton (last year) all former members of Lance's team. They have all tried to become a team leader and have faltered badly.

The parts are NOT interchangable. Last year Ryan Moats could not have switched places with an OL and our running attack be as successful. Well, as good as some of Lance's teammates are (Salvodelli especially) none of them are Lance Armstrong. In the end the team leader who wins the Tour does not share in the prize money. Lance's 8 teammates will split the pot and this year that will total in excess of $500K. So, that's about $63,000 each, for 3 weeks of work. And they are being paid a handsome salary too!

Nope, cyclists like Lance only come around once in awhile. He is one of the best all time. Only Eddie Meryck (sp?) is even in the same class with him.
    Yeh, that is fine and all, but a RB doesnt come out griping at his Oline on TV and get much respect. He gets a lot when he praises them. I am just saying that Lance calling them out on national TV like that was pretty crappy, but I wouldnt expect much more from him.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    Yeh, that is fine and all, but a RB doesnt come out griping at his Oline on TV and get much respect. He gets a lot when he praises them. I am just saying that Lance calling them out on national TV like that was pretty crappy, but I wouldnt expect much more from him.
    Sometimes a kick in the butt is the correct path.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Sometimes a kick in the butt is the correct path.
    Yeh, so do it behind closed doors like somebody with some balls would do. Every other pro athlete that calls out his team on TV is lambasted, but since it is Lance Armstrong it is ok. Give me a break. I am not giving this guy a pass on this one just because he had cancer and won the Tour de France. If some other guy on the team got onto Lance for not doing his job on national TV, that guy would be deemed not a team player and banished from the team, if not the country.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Yeh, so do it behind closed doors like somebody with some balls would do. Every other pro athlete that calls out his team on TV is lambasted, but since it is Lance Armstrong it is ok. Give me a break. I am not giving this guy a pass on this one just because he had cancer and won the Tour de France. If some other guy on the team got onto Lance for not doing his job on national TV, that guy would be deemed not a team player and banished from the team, if not the country.
    Think about it like this, and maybe you'll understand:
    Lance Armstrong is the "Player / Head Coach". :icon_wink

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    Think about it like this, and maybe you'll understand:
    Lance Armstrong is the "Player / Head Coach". :icon_wink
    Coach's are looked upon as weak if they attack a player in the media. Lance is a whiner. He's also the best cyclist in the world. He left his wife who stuck with him through his ordeal and hopped on Eric Clapton's favorite mistake. I don't understand what's so hard to grasp here. He's a...well, I'll save it, maybe it'll save me some red dots.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Yeh, so do it behind closed doors like somebody with some balls would do.
    You don't know that Armstrong hasn't already tried the "behind closed doors" thing. Besides....with all due respect....Armstrong seems to know what he's doing just fine, without your "advice".

As far as I know, Armstrong has a great reputation in regards to how he treats his teammates.

HD

Well, HD, he might not need my advice. He probably needs my advice about as much I need yours. I wasnt giving advice, I was saying that it was chicken shit. You would be the first one to say it, if it were somebody else. But since it was a fellow Texan, you stick up for him. You are almost as bad as my brother in law. He actually stuck up for Ricky Williams. He went to UT, though, so I guess I can cut him some slack. Also, in a sport where there is much more individual glory than team glory, I would tread carefully when talking about teammates. If you cant see that, you are just not facing the logical facts.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Well, HD, he might not need my advice. He probably needs my advice about as much I need yours. I wasnt giving advice, I was saying that it was chicken shit. You would be the first one to say it, if it were somebody else. But since it was a fellow Texan, you stick up for him. You are almost as bad as my brother in law. He actually stuck up for Ricky Williams. He went to UT, though, so I guess I can cut him some slack. Also, in a sport where there is much more individual glory than team glory, I would tread carefully when talking about teammates. If you cant see that, you are just not facing the logical facts.
    Okay....quit acting like a 10-year old and turning on me. The fact that Armstrong is a "fellow Texan" has got nothing to do with my comments. We Texans (in my case, transplanted 23 years ago) enjoy enough success in everything we do that Lance being a "Texan" never crossed my mind in this conversation. As Tom Landry used to say, "When we get to the end zone, we act like we've been there before". Regarding Lance, most Texans do just that.

Fact is, Lance Armstrong, recently named the World's Greatest Athlete and soon (hopefully) the 7-time winner of the Tour de France, knows what he's doing. For you to call him "chicken shit" and other such silly names is absurd.

HD

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    For you to call him "chicken shit" and other such silly names is absurd.

HD
    Well, I know what my definition of the above quoted term, and he fits in my book. His kids go to school with my nephew and most folks there agree.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

No, HD, I did not call him chicken shit. I said what he did was chicken shit. Those are two totally different things as you can tell. Maybe he just made a mistake, or maybe it wasnt in other's opinions, but I did not call the man chicken shit. I called his action chicken shit, notice the key word "it" not "he".

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I view this as a critical year for Lance.

In prior years, I put him as Michael Jordan of cycling. Michael Jordan when he was with the late-90's Bulls. Sure he was the best player in the world, but he was also on the best team (in my opinion). US Postal had all the big ones. Roberto Heras being the Pippen, etc...

I think if he can pull this off with a lesser team like he has this year with Discovery, he will be established as one of the greatest athletes if not THE greatest athlete of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty
    I view this as a critical year for Lance.

In prior years, I put him as Michael Jordan of cycling. Michael Jordan when he was with the late-90's Bulls. Sure he was the best player in the world, but he was also on the best team (in my opinion). US Postal had all the big ones. Roberto Heras being the Pippen, etc...

I think if he can pull this off with a lesser team like he has this year with Discovery, he will be established as one of the greatest athletes if not THE greatest athlete of all time.
    I thought Lance called this team his Dream Team??? I dont know, I thought I had heard that.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    ....Lance is a whiner....
    B.S., B.S., B.S.; Lance is a WINNER

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    ....He left his wife who stuck with him through his ordeal ....
    According to my sister (she has lived in downtown Austin for years) who follows cycling, the wife was running around on Lance; and, that's what caused the split. I wouldn't know and don't actually care. However, I'll believe my sister's version unless you can prove otherwise. :icon_wink

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

I guess i am totally lost here. For the exception of 2 stages, I have every stage recorded on my DVR. I have yet to hear Lance criticize his team in any way. He may have said that they didn't have a good day and any cyclist that has bad days from time to time. Even Lance.

Also, if he did say something negative about his teammates, you must remember that this is a mental game of strategy as much as it is physical. Those comments could have been meant for the other teams to believe that the team was falling apart, etc. Lance has been known to bluff in the peleton by acting exhausted. His competitors decide to take advantage of the situation and attack only to later see Lance's ass go flying by them later. That can be very mentally devestating to an opponent.

+ Reply to Thread