+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will a 13 game season mean?

Varsity Bulldog scubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nice scubbdog's Avatar

What will a 13 game season mean?

Teams see possible rewards in 12th game
    NSU, La. Tech could reap benefits of NCAA decision.
    July 8, 2005
    By Brian Vernellis

College football fans get a bonus for the 2006 season. The NCAA approved a proposal at the end of April to allow Division I-A athletic programs a 12th game on the schedule.

Previously, schools could schedule a 12th game in years where there were 14 Saturdays from late August to the end of November -- as was the case in 2002 and 2003. The next time 14 Saturdays will fall in that time frame are the 2008 and 2013 seasons.

The measure's intention was to aid programs struggling financially. For a major conference like the Big 12, which co-sponsored the bill, it means an average of $1.5 million per an additional home game.

At LSU, the extra game will bring an extra $2.1 to $2.3 million to its budget.

"It provided us with some flexibility as far as nonconference games," LSU Senior Associate Athletic Director Dan Radakovich said. "We have been, since it's been announced, looking at spots where we can place another nonconference game."

The addition of a 12th game allowed the Tigers to renew their rivalry with Tulane. The schools signed a 10-year contract to play home-and-homes beginning at Tiger Stadium in 2006.

Louisiana Tech could be in a rare position by playing 13 games in 2006. NCAA provisions allow teams which travel to Hawaii an additional game on their schedule like the Bulldogs' 2000 and 2004 seasons. If the Bulldogs return to Hawaii, it could mean an extra game for revenue.

"It's not going to be easy, but I think it's something we're probably going to do," Louisiana Tech head coach Jack Bicknell said.

"The main thing is who do you pick up for that 13th game? If you can manage the out-of-conference schedule, then I think it's a positive."

It's unlikely the Bulldogs will load up their nonconference schedule like they did last season, playing at Miami, Tennessee and Auburn.

"It's got to be the right mix," Bicknell said. "Last year with Auburn, Miami and Tennessee, that's not a real good mix. You've got to be careful how you schedule."

Division I-AA schools aren't allowed to schedule the extra game, but could still benefit from the changes. One of the other measures passed allows schools to count a victory against a Division I-AA opponent toward their bowl eligibility.

Schools like Northwestern State and Grambling State could find large paydays from I-A schools looking for opponents.

"It will open up some I-A opportunities for us," Northwestern State Athletic Director Greg Burke said. "I'd like to think that on a national level for the last eight to 10 years we've been very aggressive anyway in pursuing I-A games for a number of reasons.

"The 12th game obviously makes that option very real for everybody. The games are going to be there because the I-A schools are going to play a 12th game."

NSU is rumored to be on the verge of signing to play games against BCS-caliber teams.

Opponents say the 12th game will stretch players' academic time even further, but the NCAA board of directors passed the measure 8-2, with one member abstaining.

"The 12-game season obviously is a longer season for student-athletes," Kansas head coach Mark Mangino said.

"It's more preparation, another game to prepare for. I always believe that we have to let these kids be students and earn their degree and give them to work at it. That's one of the negatives I see with it."

The majority of players and coaches can't wait for the prolonged schedule.

"I'm for it, I really am," Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney said. "I don't know about other schools -- everybody has a different situation.

"Obviously, anything we can do to get another home game here at Iowa State, help our situation financially and budget-wise, get another opportunity to play in front of our fans, we're all for it."

The extra game also means schools can alter their scheduling philosophies. Before they might have shied away from scheduling a major opponent in a non-conference game during an 11-game season.

"What you try to do is you just try to get a schedule," Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel said. "We also know our Big 12 schedule, being in the great league we're in, it's certainly very difficult schedules we all have.

"You want balance in your non-conference schedules. The schedules are made up two, three, four, five years ago. Sometimes you don't know from one year to the next if they're going to be bowl teams or not. But we're playing some good teams and that's OK. We need those kind of challenges."

I think that we need to be real careful about this and try and schedule so as to not add another body bag game but do something to advance the program. What does everyone think?

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Re: What will a 13 game season mean?

One extra week of football, hell yeah!!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Unfortumately it sounds like a decision has already been made to play another "money" road game - just not a "killer" money road game -

Get ready for 5 home games and 7 road games in most years and 5 home games and 8 road games every other year as long as we are in the WAC -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

That's horrible... 5 home games with 8 road games, what kind of bullspit is that? At LEAST 6 home games, or even 7 in this case! We could even invite freakin' ULL/ULM to one of those, just to make it a home game! As far as "money" games I wish we'd play Texas Tech, since they are a BCS team. When we had McCown, the T.Tech games would have been awesome. The score could've been like 110-85 or something crazy. We gotta play at least one monster game every year because even just to keep credibility, ya gotta beat someone really good. Going undefeated with a "Sun Belt" schedule doesn't get you any respect (note to North Texas, hahahaha), but doing it in the WAC and then beating say, the Sun Belt Kings, Kansas, and then perhaps Florida.. well, then you got yourself some street cred, that could get you into something even better than the MPC Computers Bowl. It's not enough for the Indy Bowl because our colors aren't purple and gold, but piss on them.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Unfortumately it sounds like a decision has already been made to play another "money" road game - just not a "killer" money road game -

Get ready for 5 home games and 7 road games in most years and 5 home games and 8 road games every other year as long as we are in the WAC -

i hope you are wrong on this. if we play a 13th game, it has to be a home game against a 1-AA team. we need a break in the scedule and a 6th home game compared to our 7 road games. another bcs road game would kill us, even if it wasnt a top 25 team.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't even have to be a 1AA, it could just be a crappy 1A team like.. Army, or Florida International or something.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7
    It doesn't even have to be a 1AA, it could just be a crappy 1A team like.. Army, or Florida International or something.
    I'd rather a crappy 1A because I seem to remember a loss to SFA...A few of those every other year could surely kill the program.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog PlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the rough
    Weatherford, Texas (15 miles west of Fort Worth)

Big Grin Re: What will a 13 game season mean?

That's horrible... 5 home games with 8 road games, what kind of bullspit is that? At LEAST 6 home games, or even 7 in this case! We could even invite freakin' ULL/ULM to one of those, just to make it a home game! As far as "money" games I wish we'd play Texas Tech, since they are a BCS team. When we had McCown, the T.Tech games would have been awesome. The score could've been like 110-85 or something crazy. We gotta play at least one monster game every year because even just to keep credibility, ya gotta beat someone really good. Going undefeated with a "Sun Belt" schedule doesn't get you any respect (note to North Texas, hahahaha), but doing it in the WAC and then beating say, the Sun Belt Kings, Kansas, and then perhaps Florida.. well, then you got yourself some street cred, that could get you into something even better than the MPC Computers Bowl. It's not enough for the Indy Bowl because our colors aren't purple and gold, but piss on them.
    Yeppers! I think you are finally ready to set an appointment with NT grad and mega-millionaire Dr. Phil (McGraw) because you really seem to be eaten up with the University of North Texas and the Sun Belt Conference.

Do you also dream of green things at night? That's what I thought....DR. PHIL, WE GOT ONE FOR YA!

PS: Will break it to you gently, but Darrell Dickey's NT team beat TTech 2 of the last 3 or 4 times we played them and only a last-play-of-the-game saving one-on-one tackle of an NT receiver on the way for a TD by a TTU player on their 25-30 yard line kept it from being 3 Mean Green wins over TTU in recent years. I am trying to remember the name of the conference that TTech is a member of. It's Big...........something as I recall.
    Last edited by PlummMeanGreen; 07-08-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

How come you North Texas guys can't ever discuss football without name dropping some "B-Lister" that once went to school there. No kidding, I once read a post where one of you actually said the phrase "Ravi Shankar of SITAR FAME" when your football team was mentioned. (Yes, it said Sitar fame).

Why are you trying to deflect attention? Do you think you're a better football team because Bill Moyers went to school there?

I'll give you McMurtry. Lonesome Dove was awesome. Did he start at tackle? Or guard?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Why would anyone go see Dr. Phil? A self-proclaimed terrible psychologist. He says it himself all the time, which makes me wonder why people watch him. Oh yeh, he is an entertainer, he is not a psychologist anymore. He said he quit marriage advising because everyone got divorced, and he couldnt offer good help. Why do people go see this guy? Oh yeh, they want to be on TV. I dont know whose knob Dr. Phil bobbed on to get on Oprah, but what a scam that was. That is the only reason why he is famous, not because of any knowledge he learned inside the doors of UNT. Oh yeh, and why another game? So, UNT can see if they can go 5-8 and still play in a bowl game.

Yeah, I'm enjoying all this smack talk. I've been showing some of this to my co-workers here at LSU and they think it's hilarious. Not one of them thinks North Texas has a chance against LSU or LaTech at all. We even think ULL will be the darkhorse this year in the Belt and slap NT at Fouts. Obviously that'd be an upset and is just a fun prediction, but ya never know. It's funny because we chattered with ULL fans on this board, and Fresno fans, and LSU fans, and Kansas, Miami, etc... and NONE of them were as arrogant and self-assured as the NT folks storming our board with their predictions. I've gotten onto your board to return fire, but I've also tried to be decent and backed down if I pissed too many folks off. I even had my post deleted on your board that was some random chat with the LSUfan4444 guy on there. What the hell? It's driving me crazy that I have to wait so long for this game to settle this. I'm going to be skipping the LSU-Auburn matchup that is about oh.. 5 minutes or so from my place, for the LaTech bitch-slapping of North Texas, just for some closure.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

It allowed those two south louisiana schools to renew their rivalry. It would be a perfect opportunity for us to renew our rivalry with NLU or ulm. Before I have to start dodging sticks and stones, just think about it. Its a probable "W". Its an extra home game for the fans, plus every other year its an easy road trip for students and fans. It will put more butts in the seats than Utah St or San Jose St or Hawaii or probably even Boise or Fresno. And with a home and home schedule, its probably more cost effective than having to pay McNeese or SFA to come to our house. And for those of you obsessed with our image, which is at an all time low anyway, it is a 1-A win instead of having to count a 1-AA win to make us bowl elegible.

Varsity Bulldog PlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the roughPlummMeanGreen is a jewel in the rough
    Weatherford, Texas (15 miles west of Fort Worth)

Yeah, I'm enjoying all this smack talk. I've been showing some of this to my co-workers here at LSU and they think it's hilarious. Not one of them thinks North Texas has a chance against LSU or LaTech at all. We even think ULL will be the darkhorse this year in the Belt and slap NT at Fouts. Obviously that'd be an upset and is just a fun prediction, but ya never know. It's funny because we chattered with ULL fans on this board, and Fresno fans, and LSU fans, and Kansas, Miami, etc... and NONE of them were as arrogant and self-assured as the NT folks storming our board with their predictions. I've gotten onto your board to return fire, but I've also tried to be decent and backed down if I pissed too many folks off. I even had my post deleted on your board that was some random chat with the LSUfan4444 guy on there. What the hell? It's driving me crazy that I have to wait so long for this game to settle this. I'm going to be skipping the LSU-Auburn matchup that is about oh.. 5 minutes or so from my place, for the LaTech bitch-slapping of North Texas, just for some closure.
    Closer to our game we get, the more concerned you'll be--you'll see.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    It allowed those two south louisiana schools to renew their rivalry. It would be a perfect opportunity for us to renew our rivalry with NLU or ulm. Before I have to start dodging sticks and stones, just think about it. Its a probable "W". Its an extra home game for the fans, plus every other year its an easy road trip for students and fans. It will put more butts in the seats than Utah St or San Jose St or Hawaii or probably even Boise or Fresno. And with a home and home schedule, its probably more cost effective than having to pay McNeese or SFA to come to our house. And for those of you obsessed with our image, which is at an all time low anyway, it is a 1-A win instead of having to count a 1-AA win to make us bowl elegible.
    In a 13-game season, a team can have the 6 I-A wins needed to be bowl-eligible and still not be bowl eligible with a 6-7 record. Would you rather win a home game no matter who it is against and finish 7-6 or lose on the road and finish 6-7?

This is one of the only times I'll say YES to playing ULM/ULL. With that extra game, why not? It's $$$ in the bank and butts in the seats.

+ Reply to Thread