+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming experts

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Global warming experts

I am no expert in this field, but how do our resident bbb Global warming experts explain a cat 4 hurricane forming not in the atlantic off the horn of Africa, but down in the Carribean off the coast of South America? And this early in the year? I can't remember of this ever happening before.

I am afraid we are in for a long damaging season.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Re: Global warming experts

It's damaging alright. It damaged my fishing trip to Grand Isle this weekend. They still have no power from Cindy and Dennis is on the way.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

NASA Able to Pinpoint Changes in Sea Levels
    New Satellites May Help Explore Global Warming
    By Juliet Eilperin
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, July 8, 2005; A06

NASA scientists are able to identify for the first time how rapidly sea level is changing through a series of new satellites and observation systems, agency officials announced yesterday.

The question of rising sea levels, which is linked to global warming, could prove critical in coming years as policymakers seek to protect imperiled U.S. coastal areas and communities overseas. Waleed Abdalati, who heads the Cryospheric Sciences Branch at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, said yesterday that more than 100 million people could be affected by a three-foot increase in sea level.

"When you consider this information, the importance of learning how and why these changes are occurring becomes clear," Abdalati said at a news conference.

Scientists have been directly measuring sea level since the early 1900s. But until recently they lacked the ability to determine how much these shifts reflected the movement of nearby land.

Four years ago, according to Laury Miller, chief of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's satellite altimetry laboratory, experts could provide only a range of estimates for how much sea level has increased over the past century. They now know the sea has risen for the past 50 years at a rate of 0.07 of an inch each year, accelerating to an annual rate of 0.12 of an inch the past dozen years.

NASA is using a range of tools to gauge sea level shifts, including satellites that fire lasers at an ice sheet's surface to determine its elevation and two satellites that fly in formation to measure how the land mass is changing below. Some of this technology dates back to 1993; the government launched other programs two years ago.

"I love that mission," Abdalati said of the satellite pair, which the agency began using in 2002.

More than half the recent sea level rise comes from melting ice bodies, according to NASA scientists, while much of the remaining rise stems from warmer ocean temperatures. As ocean temperature rises, its water expands, they said.

Scientists are using new technology to monitor disappearing ice shelves and moving glaciers: One 10,000-year-old ice shelf in the Antarctic peninsula recently melted in just three weeks, according to NASA scientist Eric Rignot. "These glaciers are melting much faster than we thought," said Rignot, principal scientist for the radar science and engineering section at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Scientists who back mandatory cuts in heat-trapping gases linked to climate change, such as Princeton University professor Michael Oppenheimer, cite such statistics in making the case for immediate action. Americans living along the coasts of Florida and Louisiana are vulnerable to higher sea levels, they say, as are residents of Bangladesh and other countries with low-lying coastal areas.

"The message is, global warming is not something for the future," Oppenheimer said in a telephone news conference Wednesday sponsored by the advocacy group Environmental Defense Fund. "Global warming is happening already."

Richard Alley, a professor at Pennsylvania State University's EMS Environment Institute, said once scientists accumulate more information through these advances, they can better inform the public.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

New Orleans can't take much more of a sea rise. Otherwise, Lake Pontchatrain will become alot bigger.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i don't claim to be an expert, but here's a stab. i don't think there is any question that the earth is in a current warming trend. it could be, in fact, (i'm not sure) that the earth is the warmest it has been since hurricanes began being recorded on this contenant. the debate is whether the weather is changing from natural or man-made causes. many scientists argue that the global climate naturally cycles (a known fact), and that the small amount of greenhouse gas emitted by industry could not possible have much of an affect on global climate (a debated fact). but it really doesn't matter what these scientists say, because the only source of funding for their research is big industrial companies (and a few universities), which makes them easy for their opponants to dismiss. and no matter what happens, the anti-industry global warming people will claim it is a result of industrial pollution. if we had a couple of especially quiet hurricane seasons, they would figure out a way to say that is a sign of a coming man-made ice age. they can spin it any way you want.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    i don't claim to be an expert, but here's a stab. i don't think there is any question that the earth is in a current warming trend. it could be, in fact, (i'm not sure) that the earth is the warmest it has been since hurricanes began being recorded on this contenant. the debate is whether the weather is changing from natural or man-made causes. many scientists argue that the global climate naturally cycles (a known fact), and that the small amount of greenhouse gas emitted by industry could not possible have much of an affect on global climate (a debated fact). but it really doesn't matter what these scientists say, because the only source of funding for their research is big industrial companies (and a few universities), which makes them easy for their opponants to dismiss. and no matter what happens, the anti-industry global warming people will claim it is a result of industrial pollution. if we had a couple of especially quiet hurricane seasons, they would figure out a way to say that is a sign of a coming man-made ice age. they can spin it any way you want.
    Your post is somewhat humorous to me. It always amazes me that whatever side many of you are on, it is ALWAYS the other side that spins the issue. It is very funny to read these posts.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    I am no expert in this field, but how do our resident bbb Global warming experts explain a cat 4 hurricane forming not in the atlantic off the horn of Africa, but down in the Carribean off the coast of South America? And this early in the year? I can't remember of this ever happening before.

I am afraid we are in for a long damaging season.
    a short list of deadly and/or extremely costly hurricanes forming in the carribean or the gulf of mexico in june or july:

Name Category Date
    unnamed 4 7/13/1909
    Audry 4 6/25/1957
    Celia 3 7/31/1970
    Agnes 1 6/14/1972
    Allison T.S. 6/5/2001

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Your post is somewhat humorous to me. It always amazes me that whatever side many of you are on, it is ALWAYS the other side that spins the issue. It is very funny to read these posts.
    if you would like to debate, feel free. ridicule is never constructive. the fact is, one side is right, the other is spinning. i obviously think my side is the one that is right. if i did not think so, i would be on the other side. there is nothing funny about that. it's called rational thinking.

category 3 or higher hurricanes forming in june or july in the carribean or gulf since 1950:

audry 1957
    anna 1961
    alma 1966
    celia 1970

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Bob, I expect you to change your mind about global warming within 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    Bob, I expect you to change your mind about global warming within 5 years.
    perhaps. i, however, cannot imagine you changing your mind on anything.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

if you would like to debate, feel free. ridicule is never constructive. the fact is, one side is right, the other is spinning. i obviously think my side is the one that is right. if i did not think so, i would be on the other side. there is nothing funny about that. it's called rational thinking.
    I think it is VERY funny to listen to some of you that say that the other side is ALWAYS wrong, if you don't agree with them. Both sides do that, so I am not picking on you.

The NOT SO FUNNY PART is the fact that IF you are wrong, we all suffer. Better hope you are right, because our great leaders are right there with you in doing NOTHING! I guess we shall see.....

As for debating an issue on this board, that is almost non existent. All that usually happens is both sides argue why they think they are right and refuse to consider anything that goes against that. That is not debating. You have to be willing to actually listen to the other side.

Of course, that is the way we see most of our elected officials handle things too. If someone sees the value of something that the opposing side says, they would be considered weak to admit to it. So, this is the system that we have now.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

category 3 or higher hurricanes forming in june or july in the carribean or gulf since 1950:

audry 1957
    anna 1961
    alma 1966
    celia 1970
    If this thing turns into a cat 4 hurricane which it looks like it is trying to do, it will be the first time in recorded history that a cat 4 hurricane makes landfall in the US in July. Now go back and bury your head in the sand.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Bob, about the only reason I can think of that someone would be anti-industry would be the pollution caused by many industries.

People don't hate industry for no reason. We all need jobs and products of many kinds. We all need clean air and water and tolerable weather and safety and ..... you name it.

+ Reply to Thread