+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gamecocks admit 5 major infractions under Holtz

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Gamecocks admit 5 major infractions under Holtz

Sometime back I took some flack for saying that Lou Holtz stayed in coaching too long...... The proof is in the pudding!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2107170
    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina admitted to 10 NCAA violations committed under former football coach Lou Holtz in a report released Wednesday.

Five of the violations were classified as major.

The report was prepared jointly by the NCAA enforcement staff and the university and has been forwarded to the NCAA's Committee on Infractions, which can accept, reject or modify the proposed penalties.

The school found violations occurred when prospective student-athletes were given impermissible tutoring sessions and offseason workouts from 1999-2002.

South Carolina was also found to have a lack of institutional control.

"These are serious violations that are not in keeping with the values of the University of South Carolina and our athletics programs," University President Andrew Sorensen said. "They certainly cast our university in a light, which no one in the Carolina family condones."

Holtz did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press at his home in Orlando, Fla.

The school proposed two years of probation, a reduction from 56 to 50 paid campus visits for football recruits this year and next; and a loss of two football scholarships for the 2006-07 and 2007-08 academic years.

Steve Spurrier, who replaced Holtz, says he hopes the NCAA will accept the penalties, "which I believe are fair, so that we can get this matter behind us."

School officials said Tom Perry, former senior associate athletic director for academic support services, is no longer with the school and and Pat Moorer, former strength and conditioning coach, was reassigned after Spurrier took the job.

Holtz retired at the end of last season.

"Any violation of the NCAA legislation is unacceptable, and I regret that five violations not previously discovered by the athletics department were discovered," said Mike McGee, who retired after more than 12 years as South Carolina's AD last month.

The report closes a chapter during which South Carolina had some of greatest success as Holtz went 17-7 and won the Outback Bowls in 2000-01.

"Any success that we have in athletics should be earned honorably and never be tainted by any violation of the rules and regulations that govern intercollegiate athletics," University of South Carolina board Chairman Herbert Adams said.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Gamecocks admit 5 major infractions under Holtz

I'd get bigger penalties for speeding in a school zone! They should lose 5 or more scholarships for 2 or more years. They should be banned from post season play for 2 or more years. Until the NCAA does something like this consistently, schools that can "afford" to skirt the rules will skirt the rules.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

The SEC.....what a bunch of thugs. How many times have they made the news over the last 8 to 10 years for illegal activity with their boosters, coaches, and players? It's time for the NCAA to make a stand and make an example out of these guys that it won't be tolerated anymore. I'm eagerly awaiting how the NCAA handles the Alabama booster that allegedly bribed some high school coaches-I'm betting the NCAA slaps their wrist at most but nothing serious.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Actually, the Alabama booster got 6 months in the pen, if I'm not mistaken.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    The SEC.....what a bunch of thugs. How many times have they made the news over the last 8 to 10 years for illegal activity with their boosters, coaches, and players? It's time for the NCAA to make a stand and make an example out of these guys that it won't be tolerated anymore. I'm eagerly awaiting how the NCAA handles the Alabama booster that allegedly bribed some high school coaches-I'm betting the NCAA slaps their wrist at most but nothing serious.
    With the big boys averaging above 90K a game, I wouldn't hold my breath on the NCAA doing anything anytime soon. They only murder schools like SMU that they won't lose a ton of $$$$ from. It's a shame.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG
    Actually, the Alabama booster got 6 months in the pen, if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah...but his friend --the Alabama Professor-- was sitting in judgement last month when the NCAA handed down severe penalties in the Baylor case. Kinda makes you feel sick all over.

At least the NCAA picked a judge from a school who knew allot about "violations". :icon_wink

HD

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Lou Holtz is a legend... I just don't get it. Scandals have followed his departure at nearly every school -- Minnesota, Arkansas, Notre Dame, and now South Carolina. Sure, he's a great motivator and coach... but why don't people call a spade a spade? Jackie Sherrill is a black eye for college football. But really, what's the difference in he and Holtz?

Also, say what you will.. but it seems as though Holtz put the hard sell on his buddy Spurrier. I doubt there was any mention of "Ya know Stevie, we're not on the up and up here. We cheat, we bend the rules, we don't do the things we're supposed to do. And -- as soon as I leave, SC will get put on probation... you'll lose... but I'll still be a legend in coaching." Can you say SUCKER?

+ Reply to Thread