+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: How Bout Them Astros?

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Re: How Bout Them Astros?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    But you've still got Booby Cox -
    Who is the reason the Braves win all the time. What other manager could take 16 rookies and still win the division? His superstar goes down for about 70 games, 60% of the starting rotation on the DL, basically has no bullpen, yet the braves win a 14th straight division title. He'll get his fourth manager of the year award this year, is in the top 5 in wins all time, and is the alltime leader in post season wins. He is responsible for drafting or signing David Justice, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Terry Pendleton, Javy Lopez, Ryan Klesko, and Chipper Jones. He took over the last place Braves in 1990 and had them in game 7 of the world series the next year, losing one of the best series ever.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

He works for Ted Turner. That is enough for me not to like him or his team.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    He works for Ted Turner. That is enough for me not to like him or his team.
    I'm no Turner fan, but Cox is the real deal. Like him or loathe him, he gets results. He has to be doing something right.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I'm with Dwayne. Cox may know how to win in the regular season, but he sure doesn't seem to make the right moves during the playoffs. He has to be doing something wrong.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd certainly love for any of the coaches of the teams I cheer for to have Bobby's win percentage.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    I'm with Dwayne. Cox may know how to win in the regular season, but he sure doesn't seem to make the right moves during the playoffs. He has to be doing something wrong.
    With another manager, this Braves team would have barely been 500. Come on guys, he might have only one it once, which is one more time than most managers can boast, but the man gets results. i have never been a Bobby Cox fan, but I cannot deny the Braves dominance over their division which boasts a few high payrolls of its own. Cox is a pros manager. He is hands off and laid back. The Braves are their every year in the playoffs. I dont think anybdoy considers Marv Levy a bad coach because the Bills never won the SB in 4 straight trips. I certainly wont think Cox is a bad coach because they have won 14 straight division titles, especially when he helped build a house that was in tatters.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd certainly love for any of the coaches of the teams I cheer for to have Bobby's win percentage.
    With Cox's rotation for about 10 of those 14 years - LBP could have won divisional championships -

In the pros it is all about the RINGS - or in baseball its all about that little thing they call a pennant -

Granted he let the Twins and the BlueJay's get to him -

I'm still convinced the ONLY reason he won the ONE was because it was the Indians and they are just that the Indians - the American Leagues answer to the Cubs....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Don't worry JL. I don't think that much about Atlanta, good or bad. I've been an Astros fan since I knew there was baseball. When I went to my first game, it was the first year the Astrodome was opened. They had not even torn down old Colt 45 stadium yet. I also remember my dad coming back and telling me about Mickey Mantel hitting the first home run during an exhibition game in the Dome. I saw Mickey Mantel play the next year, but my memory is too fuzzy to remember anything but going to see him.

I love the Astros, and have never, never waivered.

The only thing I need to know about other teams is how to beat them. My father is a fan of Atlanta now. He was not as loyal fan as I was, and during the Astros' down time he switched allegance. Now that the Astros are winning I'm accustomed to ragging him at the end of every playoff season about his hero Bobby Cox. Cox can obviously can coach whatever he is given, because he has had several different styles of teams, and he continues to get to the playoffs.

Nevertheless, no matter how good he has been in the regular season, he has been abysmal in the playoffs. I don't see that we have a conflict. You and my dad are impressed with a man who can win consistently, year in year out, over a very long 162 game season.

I on the other hand believe you have to be able win into October to be a great playoff coach. He has not shown he can do that even inconsistently.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Well, I have to ask: Is Brett Favre a great QB? He has only won one, and he has been there near about every year. Dont give me salary cap because the Braves dont have an absurd advantage, they are usually in the 6-10 range. I mean if you win one, you won one. I would call Cox a better manager than Torre anyday. They are near about the same manager, except for Cox isnt handed half of the talent in the league every year like Torre. Hell, I could win championships with a team as loaded as the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    Well, I have to ask: Is Brett Favre a great QB? He has only won one, and he has been there near about every year. Dont give me salary cap because the Braves dont have an absurd advantage, they are usually in the 6-10 range. I mean if you win one, you won one. I would call Cox a better manager than Torre anyday. They are near about the same manager, except for Cox isnt handed half of the talent in the league every year like Torre. Hell, I could win championships with a team as loaded as the Yanks.
    Casey Stingel was a great manager. Sparky Anderson was a great manager.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    Hell, I could win championships with a team as loaded as the Yanks.
    Could you?

Could you "manage" the egos that he is given to meld into a team or semblance of a team every year?

An A-Rod, Jeter, Williams, Sheffield and Johnson?

Could you handle the MAN breathing down your neck at every instance knowing that a World Series appearance just doesn't cut it?

There is more to managing than just filling out a line-up card -

But Cox in pinstripes and he craps in his pants by the All-Star break -

Remember Torre won in Hotlanta when they had the good guys - Murphy, Horner, Neikro and he then won in St Louis bu just couldn't get over the hump and win the big one -

Cox manages in a VERY sheltered environment - ownership only worries about the bottom line and the town is very blazea(sp?) -

Schurholtz is the mastermind behind that establishment - just look how far the Royals have fallen since he left -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

DFM, you pay me a few million a year, and I would run out in front of 55000 at Yankee Stad buck naked for 81 or more games a year, number 1. If I was making that money, I could put up with whatever the hell you wanted me to put up with. Take that dealing with ego crap and hand it someone else, it is way overrated.. Hey, I guess the KC job is easier since nobody has an ego because near about everybody sucks. Come on, if I were a manager, i would rather deal with the egos, than deal with inferior talent every year. Torre does have the right the personality for it. He is laid back and takes it a game at a time. He is very nonvolatile and thick skinned, which is a requirement to coach at Yankee Stad. I am not giong to lie, I would rather coach in Atlanta, but personally, I have the personality to coach or work in a high tense situation.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

In 130 years of baseball the Braves have 7 100 win seasons, Bobby Cox has 6 of them and the other was by Frank Selee in 1898. Joe Torre is a great manager, in Atlanta he was 257- 229 in 3 years (82-84) but i doubt he could win with what boby cox wins with

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar

CHOKE!

Geez. One more strike and the Astros had their first trip to the World Series.

I am not a big baseball fan, but even that irritates me.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    CHOKE!

Geez. One more strike and the Astros had their first trip to the World Series.

I am not a big baseball fan, but even that irritates me.
    Noooooooooo!

You gotta luv it! If there is a better hitter in baseball than Pujols I would like to see him.

+ Reply to Thread