+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did Anyone Know...

Big Dog SummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the ears SummaCumDoggie's Avatar

Question Did Anyone Know...

... that our very own JB3 was mentioned in connection with the Illinois HC vacancy last year? I remember Duke rumors, but this is interesting:

By THE NEWS-GAZETTE
    Copyright The News-Gazette
    Published Online November 28, 2004

We're going to assume Utah's Urban Meyer won't pursue the Illinois job, especially with Florida and Washington available. But here are 18 guys who realistically could expect a call from UI athletic director Ron Guenther:

Jack Bicknell Jr.
    Louisiana Tech head coach
    Record: 32-38
    Past experience that matters: Offensive and defensive line coach during long stint at Division I-AA power New Hampshire; offensive line coach at Louisiana Tech before taking over for Gary Crowton.
    Local ties: None directly, but his dad, former Boston College coach Jack Bicknell, worked on the same Eagles staff as Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther.
    Reason to hire him: He definitely has the look. A younger coach with a great family who figures to be a solid recruiter. He has worked on both sides of the ball, a definite plus. Personality goes well with Guenther's. You can see them talking football at all hours of the day. Has pulled his share of upsets with the Bulldogs, beating Alabama, Michigan State and Oklahoma State. His salary is low enough that a bump to $500,000-600,000 would seem like a great deal to him, very similar to when Bruce Weber was hired in basketball.
    Reason not to hire him: Record at Louisiana Tech is below .500, though to be fair it isn't the best job in the world. He is finishing his third nonwinning season. Not much of a wow factor for fans, but Guenther made it clear his first priority is winning.
    Odds: 15:1. If the first two or three guys on the list say no, which they might, Bicknell seems like a logical next step. Just a hunch that he gets an interview.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Did Anyone Know...

I sure wish those first 3 would have turned it down.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    I sure wish those first 3 would have turned it down.
    Me too. I read about this back when. Didn't think it was realistic. I mean, for a BCS conference team, you're not going to take a guy with a losing record in a non-BCS conference and promote him.

Maybe one day!

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

The good thing is that he's almost certainly gone after this year. If he has a good year, some dumb BCS school will probably hire him away. If he has a bad year, we can finally afford to fire him. The only scary thing is a 8-3 season that doesn't get anyone to hire him, and we give him 3 more years or something stupid like that.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Seems to me that JB3 shouldn't be a head coach. I think that he was the knowledge football wise, but I think that his personality would best be suited for a good assistant, but i poor leader. Also SOMEONE here knows how to recruit... who is it?

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    Seems to me that JB3 shouldn't be a head coach. I think that he was the knowledge football wise, but I think that his personality would best be suited for a good assistant, but i poor leader. Also SOMEONE here knows how to recruit... who is it?

AGREED! He is probably a fine assistant or coordinator, but he is not a head coach. He doesn't have whatever that intangible is to be a good head coach.

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

Come on, folks. The season hasn't even started yet. We're undefeated! If we can't put together a winning season, I'll be right there with you b/c there's no excuses this time around. But I, for one, am pretty excited about going bowling this year.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NashVegasRabidK9
    Come on, folks. The season hasn't even started yet. We're undefeated! If we can't put together a winning season, I'll be right there with you b/c there's no excuses this time around. But I, for one, am pretty excited about going bowling this year.
    Hey look, I was a JB supporter his first three years, but enough is enough. I think we will have a winning season this year, but it will be despite JB being our HC not because he is our HC. Time for someone new. Past time for someone new.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by NashVegasRabidK9
    And I bet you get excited about having a colonoscopy or having a tooth pulled too.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

I agree, we should be able to go 6-5 this year despite the HC. A good coach with the best schedule we've had in years would give us a good shot at 8-3 with anything less than 7-4 being a huge disappointment.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I expect NO LESS than 8-3

There are not more than 3 teams on our schedule that should be able to beat us.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I expect NO LESS than 8-3
    Yep! As of now, anything less is underachieving...

+ Reply to Thread