+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I-Bowl look east for new partner?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Will I-Bowl look east for new partner?

Scott Ferrell: Time for I-Bowl to look east
    July 24, 2005
    Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg said he wanted to complete his final additions to his conference's bowl lineup "as quickly as we can.'' That was nine days ago.

There has been no such announcement from Weiberg and the Big 12 office. And really, should that surprise us?

Weiberg apparently gave I-Bowl officials enough of a positive feel that the bowl's executive committee voted to renew a deal with the Big 12. That was before the Big 12 announced its first six bowl tie-ins with no mention of the Independence Bowl.

This was the kind of treatment usually given the bowl by the SEC, not the Big 12. Ah, but the times, they are a changin.'

If being left out of the first announcement wasn't bad enough, now there are rumblings the Big 12 wants to split its seventh selection between the Independence Bowl and the Houston Bowl. After having a shared selection with the Music City Bowl over the years, we all know how that works.

So what's the I-Bowl to do? The bowl isn't exactly working out of a position of strength.

The Big 12 has, in essence, sold off its bowl tie-ins to the highest bidders. The I-Bowl is paying $1.2 million and could probably go as high as $1.5 million per team, but past that it gets dangerous. So the I-Bowl can only go so high with the Big 12.

There's also that pesky matter of not having a title sponsor. While the bowl is on solid enough financial ground to be played without a title sponsor for a second straight year, the future would look considerably brighter with a title sponsor.

Still, that doesn't mean the I-Bowl has to take the humble pie from the Big 12 and eat.

The I-Bowl could align with a mid-major conference such as Conference USA or the WAC. Such an alignment would likely yield a higher spot in the selection process of those conferences. However, the flip side is those schools won't have the same large fan bases and television numbers. [Ferrell forgets that the LA Tech-Maryland I-Bowl was a record setting crowd and one of the Top 5 most watched bowl games in 1990-91.]

Then there is the Atlantic Coast Conference. While the ACC may not be as geographically nearby as the Big 12, the league might offer a better team, even if it is a shared selection from fifth to seventh. It certainly could afford the bowl better treatment than it is currently receiving from its "bowl partner'' since 1998.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Will I-Bowl look east for new partner?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsadawg
    The I-bowl is not working from a position of strength as stated. The "only" option now is CUSA. The bowl will probably cut a deal with CUSA for their 1st or 2nd place team to play an SEC 5th or 6th. Tulsa, S.Miss, Tulane, and UTEP would be great regional teams to have in the I-bowl. What other options are there? I guess the bowl could leave the Big 12 spot open for an "at large" team also.
    CUSA will continue it's relationship with the Memphis based Liberty Bowl, because the University of Memphis is in CUSA. So the I-bowl can forget about garnering the #1 team from CUSA.

What the I-Bowl should do is adopt an arrangement with CUSA and the WAC that allows them to pick the #2 (or #3) CUSA team (ahead of the N.O. and the GMAC Bowl) or Louisiana Tech from the WAC.

HD

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

The I-bowl is not working from a position of strength as stated. The "only" option now is CUSA. The bowl will probably cut a deal with CUSA for their 1st or 2nd place team to play an SEC 5th or 6th. Tulsa, S.Miss, Tulane, and UTEP would be great regional teams to have in the I-bowl. What other options are there? I guess the bowl could leave the Big 12 spot open for an "at large" team also.
    Tulsa and UTEP would really pack 'em into the stadium...not!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears

Just the other day at the MWC meetings the Las Vegas Bowl reps had discussions in an effort to secure the Las Vegas Bowl as the host of the CUSA & MWC #1's. This came about when the Liberty Bowl tried to negoiate offers from the SEC to take a side in their bowl against the #1 CUSA thereby throwing the MWC to the curb. Well, the SEC didn't nibble much less smell the offer and the Liberty Bowl folks had to tuck tail and then strutted back to the MWC meetings saying how they were happy to host the #1's nixing Las Vegas' bid for the championship.

So, I wouldn't put it past the I-Bowl to forgo a WAC relationship and secure a CUSA team to play an SEC team which would appease the I-Bowl folks and give CUSA an SEC opponent.

Puppy Badgerwolf is on the way downBadgerwolf is on the way down Badgerwolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDawg
    Just the other day at the MWC meetings the Las Vegas Bowl reps had discussions in an effort to secure the Las Vegas Bowl as the host of the CUSA & MWC #1's. This came about when the Liberty Bowl tried to negoiate offers from the SEC to take a side in their bowl against the #1 CUSA thereby throwing the MWC to the curb. Well, the SEC didn't nibble much less smell the offer and the Liberty Bowl folks had to tuck tail and then strutted back to the MWC meetings saying how they were happy to host the #1's nixing Las Vegas' bid for the championship.

So, I wouldn't put it past the I-Bowl to forgo a WAC relationship and secure a CUSA team to play an SEC team which would appease the I-Bowl folks and give CUSA an SEC opponent.

For info only; from the Albuquerque Journal:

Today's ABQ Journal has an article about the status of the MWC's tie-in with the Liberty Bowl; article is titled 'MWC in Talks With Liberty Bowl'.

Excerpts from article:

When negotiations started last season for a new contract, the Liberty Bowl originally wanted the MWC to commit to a multiyear deal. The conference, however, wanted only a one-year deal that expired when ABC's contract with the BCS (expired ??) after 2005.

When Fox picked up the BCS contract, installing some stability in the structure of college football for the next four years, MWC athletic directors warmed to the idea of a multi-year contract with the Liberty Bowl, (Craig) Thompson said.

Now, however, the Liberty has backed off from any agreement, peddling its bowl to other conferences.

Still, Thompson said he estimated the chances of re-signing with the bowl are about 75 percent, maybe higher. He said he hoped they could come to an agreement by the season opener or shortly thereafter.

Thompson said the Las Vegas Bowl would take the MWC champion if the Liberty Bowl contract falls through.
    We Are A-State!!!
    Respect All -- Fear None!

Varsity Bulldog scubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nice scubbdog's Avatar

It looks like the Big East might sign a deal with the Liberty Bowl.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_355889.html

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I love it, those SOB's can rot for all I care. How quickly they forget that Tech, not LSU, saved their butts back in '90.

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

Off of the Pack Board and the Charlotte Observer

Starting next year these will be the ACC's bowl tie-ins
    #1 BCS
    #2 Gator
    #3 Peach
    #4 Champs
    #5 Mieneke
    #6 Music City
    #7 Emerald
    #8 MPC Computer Bowl

Not necessarily in that order after BCS.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Don't forget that the Indy Bowl was first established to reward the champions of the "regional" SLC. But after the SLC got the bowl on its feet, the Shreveport Snob factor kicked in and they were suddenly too good for the SLC. Now the idiots are happy with the left overs from the SEC or a weak Notre Dame team rather than good midmajors. In Shreveport it has to be a name brand which automatically makes it better. So they will happily take a number 8 SEC/B12 just to be associated with a big league.
    Last edited by oledawg66; 07-26-2005 at 11:45 PM. Reason: local to regional

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    Don't forget that the Indy Bowl was first established to reward the champions of the "regional" SLC. But after the SLC got the bowl on its feet, the Shreveport Snob factor kicked in and they were suddenly too good for the SLC. Now the idiots are happy with the left overs from the SEC or a weak Notre Dame team rather than good midmajors. In Shreveport it has to be a name brand which automatically makes it better. So they will happily take a number 8 SEC/B12 just to be associated with a big league.
    its becoming obvious to the locals (who care) in shreveport that the indy bowl is in major trouble. they weighted all their hopes and dreams on the sec and big12 and now the two are pretty much rewarding them the way they should be rewarded for their "holy'r than thou" approach. Tim Fletcher on ch3 last night made the commets that the sec it now sending the #8 team to the indy bowl which could be a #9 should 2 be in the BCS series, and, as of yet the Big12 hasn't shown their hand as far as the bowl is concerned. Tims comment was along the lines of, the heck with the Big12, maybe its time the indy locked into a mid'major conf like the wac, usa or someothers hardly worth metioning :O) and by doing so, actually getting a BETTER team coming in for the game in stead of a lower big12 team. Hey, im all for it !!!!

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

A voice of reason among the smucks? Personally I hope they get what they want. I hope they get lswho as the SEC rep in their uppity little bowl.
    Last edited by oledawg66; 07-27-2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add smiles

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Wink Re: Will I-Bowl look east for new partner?

I like ole Tim Fletcher for that reason. I think we can send a large amount of emails to the I-Bowl website asking them why they won't work it out to have the WAC or CUSA in the I-bowl thus giving Tech a shot every year with a bowl that will fill the stadium to capacity.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Here's a wild idea. Independence Bowl opts to go with Sunbelt Champion vs SEC #5. Since nearly all the Sunbelt teams are regional...........makes sense. I dont know what kind of a draw the Sunbelt teams would be but the SEC teams always bring plenty. I do believe the Mean Green, Cajuns and maybe Troy are teams that would draw well.
    That would be like watching an execution...
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Puppy Badgerwolf is on the way downBadgerwolf is on the way down Badgerwolf's Avatar

You're probably right. An SEC team would probably score about 49 points in the first half against a Sunbelt team.:icon_wink
    Yeah, it would be something like this WAC score:

Tennessee 42, LA Tech 17

Auburn 52, LA Tech 7

We Are A-State!!!
    Respect All -- Fear None!

Champ MattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the rough MattB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerwolf
    Yeah, it would be something like this WAC score:

Tennessee 42, LA Tech 17

Auburn 52, LA Tech 7

53-3 > 49-10

But we both got killed

+ Reply to Thread