+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

Hybrid View

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

"In the hold" or "in the hole"?

I was brought up calling the person batting behind the on deck batter was, "In the hold." On the Gameday coverage of the Astros game today they have "In the hole." Which one is it?

When I was nine or ten our coach made us say, "In the hold" and said it had something to do with the hold of a ship.

Does anyone know the answer to this. I breifly looked it up on the internet and really got no definitive answer.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

Batter is at bat

Next batter is on deck

Next batter is in the hole (the dugout)
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix

Next batter is in the hole (the dugout)
    yes.

"in the hole -- The batter after the on-deck hitter."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...sics/lingo.jsp

I've never before heard "in the hold". Soonerdawg's "coach" was an idiot. jmo

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

HAha , we could make up a story about a boat and start calling it in the hold. I would back you up.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    Soonerdawg's "coach" was an idiot. jmo
    So if his coach was an idiot for just one little letter, tell me this..

Does a tie go to the Runner?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I found a site that said that "on deck" is the deck of the ship. The next batter is in the hold of the ship.

It is funny. I want to have been right for the last 35 years by saying "hold" instead of "hole."

As to the tie goes to the runner. I have always been told in baseball that the tie goes to the runner. I have not read the rule. In softball, I have read the rule. The tie goes to the defense.

From Ulster Publishing Co. site:

"One, Skip McAfee of Virginia, engaged in a spirited debate over the meaning of the baseball phrase "out of left field," answering a query by professor Bill Rubinstein of Australia by refuting certain explanations offered by amateur philologist and professional word maven ("colloq") William Safire of The New York Times. Another, George A. Thompson, contributed to a thread I had started on a bulletin board for aficionados of nineteenth-century baseball about the nautical origins of such baseball terms as "skipper" (captain, later manager, of a nine), "on deck" (next batter), "in the hold" (next batter after that), "around the horn" (a double play initiated by the third baseman, then on to the second baseman, and finally the first baseman, but earlier derived from ships sailing around Cape Horn to Western ports, and earlier still, from the Dutch city of Hoorn), and "skyscraper" (an early baseball term for a pop fly, but even earlier, in 1794, a triangular topsail also called a moon-raker)."

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    So if his coach was an idiot for just one little letter, tell me this..

Does a tie go to the Runner?
    Technically in baseball there is never a "tie". He is either safe or out and it is the umpires discretion as to which it is. Nowhere in the rule book does it say tie goes to the runner

As for in the hole:
    According to "The Dickson Baseball Dictionary",

In the hole, referring to something stashed away, such as the on-deck hitter, or, by inference, a hidden card in a card game, comes from "in the hold", which the writer asserts was pronounced "hole" by British seamen. That shortening of words stands to reason, since the words forecastle and boatswain are pronounced "foc-sl" and "bo-sun".

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup
    Technically in baseball there is never a "tie". He is either safe or out and it is the umpires discretion as to which it is. Nowhere in the rule book does it say tie goes to the runner
    PERFECT ANSWER! No such thing as a tie. That's one point for Tulsa! haha. But the Rulebook does have one rule that is the ultimate rule... Every Ump should know this by heart....

Rule 9.01 (c) - Each Umpire has the authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.

QUIZ TIME! (If you want to... just for fun) When a batter makes it safely to first base, but rounds the bag to the left and is tagged.. what is the official ruling?

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

yes.

"in the hole -- The batter after the on-deck hitter."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...sics/lingo.jsp

I've never before heard "in the hold". Soonerdawg's "coach" was an idiot. jmo
    The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing. Okay, dawg, I wouldn't put it past the old man to tell me that after hearing it from your old coach. I argued it with someone about four years ago, and that person pulled up some website that showed it is in the hole. I, like dawg, wanted to be right, but I still have to think it must be naval in nature. I mean really, it sure is a coincidence that we use terms like on deck, in the hold (if it is true), around the horn, base, ....wait...shouldn't that be port?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad
    The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing. Okay, dawg, I wouldn't put it past the old man to tell me that after hearing it from your old coach. I argued it with someone about four years ago, and that person pulled up some website that showed it is in the hole. I, like dawg, wanted to be right, but I still have to think it must be naval in nature. I mean really, it sure is a coincidence that we use terms like on deck, in the hold (if it is true), around the horn, base, ....wait...shouldn't that be port?
    Welcome back MD. Good to have you back. How is ole Virgina? Will you be there long enough to get in state tuition for your children in Virginia colleges?

The coach's name was Mike Faulk. He died in a horrible car accident while I was in college. I didn't know what position Dad would have on this topic, but I knew, in the tradition of being a Wilkerson, that he would have an opinion. I certainly do.

I would be interested in a site that gives an etiological explanation for "hole." I could not find one. There were plenty that said "hole," there just was no explanation for the use of the word.

By the way, Dad never coached me in any sport outside of the front yard. He just complained about the coaches I had, including Mike. You may have been too young to remember it, but in the seventies, Dad was a very, very busy man. Nevertheless, he never missed one of my games in any sport, no matter how bad I sucked at it.

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    Welcome back MD. Good to have you back. How is ole Virgina? Will you be there long enough to get in state tuition for your children in Virginia colleges?

The coach's name was Mike Faulk. He died in a horrible car accident while I was in college. I didn't know what position Dad would have on this topic, but I knew, in the tradition of being a Wilkerson, that he would have an opinion. I certainly do.

By the way, Dad never coached me in any sport outside of the front yard. He just complained about the coaches I had, including Mike. You may have been too young to remember it, but in the seventies, Dad was a very, very busy man. Nevertheless, he never missed one of my games in any sport, no matter how bad I sucked at it.
    Good to be back. You seem surprised. Isn't it nearly football season? I have a lot of catching up to do with the move from Cali and all.

Re: State tuition in Virginia...I am a Texan!!! Sissy-Anne is the Virginian. Untz and Gracie are the California girls.

Re: Dad and coaching...You're right. I am too young to remember it. When I was old enough to play, Dad's job was to coach me so that I could make a $1M per year. I can't remember him NOT coaching. Hell, he even coached me from the bleachers while I was in college. The Marine Corps thanks him...

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad
    The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing.
    oops..................

sorry about that, didn't know the "coach" was his dad.

I do know that Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese always said "in the hole", so that's good enough for me.

oops..................

sorry about that, didn't know the "coach" was his dad.

I do know that Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese always said "in the hole", so that's good enough for me.
    That would be "our" Dad. MajorDad is my brother, and is a Major in the USMC stationed in Virginia. He served in the first Gulf War. One hell of a guy.

You make a great point with Dizzy and Pee Wee. In rebuttal, first, you may have "thought" that they said "hole," because that what you were expecting to hear. Second, I would not cite Dizzy as an authority on the English language, even when it comes to nuiances of baseball. He was a great story teller, and quite possibly would say "hole" to make the story better. Third, I can't say I heard either of them say "hole." Where did you hear that?

With that said, if they did say "hole", that is persuasive authority that the word "hold" has evolved over time to "hole."
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 08-18-2005 at 06:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread