+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad
    The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing. Okay, dawg, I wouldn't put it past the old man to tell me that after hearing it from your old coach. I argued it with someone about four years ago, and that person pulled up some website that showed it is in the hole. I, like dawg, wanted to be right, but I still have to think it must be naval in nature. I mean really, it sure is a coincidence that we use terms like on deck, in the hold (if it is true), around the horn, base, ....wait...shouldn't that be port?
    Welcome back MD. Good to have you back. How is ole Virgina? Will you be there long enough to get in state tuition for your children in Virginia colleges?

The coach's name was Mike Faulk. He died in a horrible car accident while I was in college. I didn't know what position Dad would have on this topic, but I knew, in the tradition of being a Wilkerson, that he would have an opinion. I certainly do.

I would be interested in a site that gives an etiological explanation for "hole." I could not find one. There were plenty that said "hole," there just was no explanation for the use of the word.

By the way, Dad never coached me in any sport outside of the front yard. He just complained about the coaches I had, including Mike. You may have been too young to remember it, but in the seventies, Dad was a very, very busy man. Nevertheless, he never missed one of my games in any sport, no matter how bad I sucked at it.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad
    The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing.
    oops..................

sorry about that, didn't know the "coach" was his dad.

I do know that Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese always said "in the hole", so that's good enough for me.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    oops..................

sorry about that, didn't know the "coach" was his dad.

I do know that Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese always said "in the hole", so that's good enough for me.
    That would be "our" Dad. MajorDad is my brother, and is a Major in the USMC stationed in Virginia. He served in the first Gulf War. One hell of a guy.

You make a great point with Dizzy and Pee Wee. In rebuttal, first, you may have "thought" that they said "hole," because that what you were expecting to hear. Second, I would not cite Dizzy as an authority on the English language, even when it comes to nuiances of baseball. He was a great story teller, and quite possibly would say "hole" to make the story better. Third, I can't say I heard either of them say "hole." Where did you hear that?

With that said, if they did say "hole", that is persuasive authority that the word "hold" has evolved over time to "hole."
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 08-18-2005 at 06:45 AM.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    That would be "our" Dad. Majordawg is my brother, and is a Major in the USMC stationed in Virginia. He served in the first Gulf War. One hell of a guy.

You make a great point with Dizzy and Pee Wee. In rebuttal, first, you may have "thought" that they said "hole," because that what you were expecting to hear. Second, I would not cite Dizzy as an authority on the English language, even when it comes to nuiances of baseball. He was a great story teller, and quite possibly would say "hole" to make the story better. Third, I can't say I heard either of them say "hole." Where did you hear that?

With that said, if they did say "hole", that is persuasive authority that the word "hold" has evolved over time to "hole."
    well said; very well said.

I was once on a plane flight from Atlanta, GA, to Monroe, LA, and Dizzy Dean was in the same compartment as me (he deplaned in Jackson, MS)

It appeared to me that Dizzy might have been very much inebriated, given that he was stumbling mightily as he went down the aisle?? Best I remember, although I may have imagined this, Dizzy whispered to me as he passed, "in the hole". I definitely remember the sensation of smelling what I sensed to be the very definite odor of Falstaff beer..........not that it mattered to me, of course............ As for Pee Wee, I can only remember/refer back to the broadcasts..............."X batter is in the hole", said Pee Wee, many, many times.

jmo

PS- Semper Fidelis is one hell of a motto.

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    Welcome back MD. Good to have you back. How is ole Virgina? Will you be there long enough to get in state tuition for your children in Virginia colleges?

The coach's name was Mike Faulk. He died in a horrible car accident while I was in college. I didn't know what position Dad would have on this topic, but I knew, in the tradition of being a Wilkerson, that he would have an opinion. I certainly do.

By the way, Dad never coached me in any sport outside of the front yard. He just complained about the coaches I had, including Mike. You may have been too young to remember it, but in the seventies, Dad was a very, very busy man. Nevertheless, he never missed one of my games in any sport, no matter how bad I sucked at it.
    Good to be back. You seem surprised. Isn't it nearly football season? I have a lot of catching up to do with the move from Cali and all.

Re: State tuition in Virginia...I am a Texan!!! Sissy-Anne is the Virginian. Untz and Gracie are the California girls.

Re: Dad and coaching...You're right. I am too young to remember it. When I was old enough to play, Dad's job was to coach me so that I could make a $1M per year. I can't remember him NOT coaching. Hell, he even coached me from the bleachers while I was in college. The Marine Corps thanks him...

+ Reply to Thread