Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad
The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing. Okay, dawg, I wouldn't put it past the old man to tell me that after hearing it from your old coach. I argued it with someone about four years ago, and that person pulled up some website that showed it is in the hole. I, like dawg, wanted to be right, but I still have to think it must be naval in nature. I mean really, it sure is a coincidence that we use terms like on deck, in the hold (if it is true), around the horn, base, ....wait...shouldn't that be port?
Welcome back MD. Good to have you back. How is ole Virgina? Will you be there long enough to get in state tuition for your children in Virginia colleges?

The coach's name was Mike Faulk. He died in a horrible car accident while I was in college. I didn't know what position Dad would have on this topic, but I knew, in the tradition of being a Wilkerson, that he would have an opinion. I certainly do.

I would be interested in a site that gives an etiological explanation for "hole." I could not find one. There were plenty that said "hole," there just was no explanation for the use of the word.

By the way, Dad never coached me in any sport outside of the front yard. He just complained about the coaches I had, including Mike. You may have been too young to remember it, but in the seventies, Dad was a very, very busy man. Nevertheless, he never missed one of my games in any sport, no matter how bad I sucked at it.