+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup
    he is out.
    Here's one: Batter bunts a ball that lands directly on home plate and stops. catcher standing behind the plate picks it up and throws to first before the batter reaches. fairball and out? or foulball, strike?
    Fair Ball, and Runner is thrown out at first... COME ON.. GIVE ME A HARD ONE!!!!!!!

You are incorrect on the previous one, a runner is safe as long as he doesn't make an attempt towards second base. An attempt can be a flinch... a step... a lean, whatever.... but he's not out because of the direction that he turns. TULSA just gave one back to the field. LOL

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    Fair Ball, and Runner is thrown out at first... COME ON.. GIVE ME A HARD ONE!!!!!!!

You are incorrect on the previous one, a runner is safe as long as he doesn't make an attempt towards second base. An attempt can be a flinch... a step... a lean, whatever.... but he's not out because of the direction that he turns. TULSA just gave one back to the field. LOL
    you said rounds the bag though! Thats an attempt. if he had stopped and just turned around then hes safe

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

PERFECT ANSWER! No such thing as a tie.
    A tie does go to the runner in baseball. Here is the rule:

Rule 6.05(j)

“After hitting a fair ball, the batter-runner or first base is tagged before said batter-runner touches first base;

The key word is before. If there is a tie, it would go to the runner, because the base or the bag was not tagged "before" the runner got to first base.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Here's one: Batter bunts a ball that lands directly on home plate and stops. catcher standing behind the plate picks it up and throws to first before the batter reaches. fairball and out? or foulball, strike?
    fair ball and out.
    plate is in the very corner of the infield diamond.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

PERFECT ANSWER! No such thing as a tie. That's one point for Tulsa! haha. But the Rulebook does have one rule that is the ultimate rule... Every Ump should know this by heart....

Rule 9.01 (c) - Each Umpire has the authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.

QUIZ TIME! (If you want to... just for fun) When a batter makes it safely to first base, but rounds the bag to the left and is tagged.. what is the official ruling?
    A single and an out
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

you said rounds the bag though! Thats an attempt. if he had stopped and just turned around then hes safe
    I think the Pup has you on this one Doc. Give him back his green. LOL

Pup knows his baseball. :icon_wink
    Go Tech!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I've give his point back but only on a technicality. I didn't say that the runner made any attempt to head to second, they can go however they want, but if IN THE UMPIRE'S JUDGEMENT, he made an attempt toward second base, THEN he could be called out. The USUAL rounding of the bag... your correct, that's an attempt but that's not what i meant.

As for the other part, there is still no such thing as a TIE. the Defense must BEAT the runner, but there is no mention of a Tie, and their never will be.

(From a Baseball rules website about baseball MYTHS!)
    http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/rules/obr/myths/

2. The batter-runner must turn to his right after over-running first base.
    16. Tie goes to the runner.

Now take it back, TulsaDawg!! I'm glad that you support your son here, but he's WRONG!! haha Ok, i'll admit he did catch me on the technicality, but that's it!!! hehe, I'd take him as my umpire partner anyday, I've trained people who have NO clue about anything related to baseball. (I didn't red dot him.. did someone red dot you, Pup?)

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

You, Pup and I are in agreement. I think Pup just caught you on a technicality. We both agree with you on the "tie" too. (Although, I can see Sooner's point). Now, if I could just understand the balk.
    Last edited by TulsaDawg; 08-11-2005 at 10:22 AM.
    Go Tech!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I've give his point back but only on a technicality. I didn't say that the runner made any attempt to head to second, they can go however they want, but if IN THE UMPIRE'S JUDGEMENT, he made an attempt toward second base, THEN he could be called out. The USUAL rounding of the bag... your correct, that's an attempt but that's not what i meant.

As for the other part, there is still no such thing as a TIE. the Defense must BEAT the runner, but there is no mention of a Tie, and their never will be.

(From a Baseball rules website about baseball MYTHS!)
    http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/rules/obr/myths/

2. The batter-runner must turn to his right after over-running first base.
    16. Tie goes to the runner.

Now take it back, TulsaDawg!! I'm glad that you support your son here, but he's WRONG!! haha Ok, i'll admit he did catch me on the technicality, but that's it!!! hehe, I'd take him as my umpire partner anyday, I've trained people who have NO clue about anything related to baseball. (I didn't red dot him.. did someone red dot you, Pup?)
    I read the site. If you are saying there is no rule that specifically states, "tie goes to the runner," you are correct, and I agree with you. If you are saying that a tie is not a failure of the tag to beat the runner to the bag, then I disagree. It may be a matter of semantics. I just depends upon what you are saying.

P.S. I think my coach was right on the "hold." There is no explanation etiologically that explains "hole." There is some good evidence that it is a nautical term.
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 08-11-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    fair ball and out.
    plate is in the very corner of the infield diamond.
    Thanks for the green, good doctor!
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

(I didn't red dot him.. did someone red dot you, Pup?)
    Nobody red dotted me

Sooner: i think in the hold and in the hole are both acceptable, my post on page 1 has an explanation for where they originate, personally i had never heard in the hold before, but it makes sense.
    Football season needs to hurry up and get here so we dont have to argue about baseball rules and terms!

Nobody red dotted me

Sooner: i think in the hold and in the hole are both acceptable, my post on page 1 has an explanation for where they originate, personally i had never heard in the hold before, but it makes sense.
    Football season needs to hurry up and get here so we dont have to argue about baseball rules and terms!
    I agree. As the word "argue" shows here, words on a page look more argumentive than this baseball discussion were meant to be. I just having fun, an stating the conclusions I've come to. When the thread started I had no opinion. I do now. It is "hold." Ties go to the runner. Roll the toilet paper from the top.

For what it's worth, I believe the etiology of "hole" was from people saying "hole" for "hold." I have e-mailed MLB.com to "state my case." We'll see what happens

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Big Grin Re: "In the hold" or "in the hole"?

I am assuming, from reading this very pleasant thread, that the term "a$$hold" is now acceptable in polite company. That is great news, as I no longer have to bite my tongue!!!

TD
    ~~

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    A tie does go to the runner in baseball. Here is the rule:

Rule 6.05(j)

“After hitting a fair ball, the batter-runner or first base is tagged before said batter-runner touches first base;

The key word is before. If there is a tie, it would go to the runner, because the base or the bag was not tagged "before" the runner got to first base.
    Nice! Makes perfect sense. Lawyers;-)

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    yes.

"in the hole -- The batter after the on-deck hitter."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...sics/lingo.jsp

I've never before heard "in the hold". Soonerdawg's "coach" was an idiot. jmo
    The "coach" was his dad! Our dad told me the same thing. Okay, dawg, I wouldn't put it past the old man to tell me that after hearing it from your old coach. I argued it with someone about four years ago, and that person pulled up some website that showed it is in the hole. I, like dawg, wanted to be right, but I still have to think it must be naval in nature. I mean really, it sure is a coincidence that we use terms like on deck, in the hold (if it is true), around the horn, base, ....wait...shouldn't that be port?

+ Reply to Thread