+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hidden Ball trick

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Hidden Ball trick

Anyone see the Marlins pull the ole hidden ball trick against the Dbacks last night? When the ball was thrown into Mike Lowell, he just held on to it as the pitcher and catcher talked, runner on third took a lead, lowell then tagged him. Figures it would happen to the Dbacks

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=fla

click on hidden ball trick under the picture for the video

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: Hidden Ball trick

I missed that. The funny thing is I was reading the balk rules last night and saw the rules that address the hidden ball trick. It is amazing that a major leaguer would make that mistake.

There is a video of the play at this site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

It has a great play by play call, but only the tag is shown.

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Ya i saw it. That was so awesome. I am surprised they don't do it more often.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steltz
    It shouldn't happen, at least in the big leagues, because the runner should know that the play can not be done with the pitcher on the mound, or it is a balk. Thus, stay on the base until the pitcher is on the mound. The runner in this case admitted it was a bone headed play on his part.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steltz
    In the article it talks about how the pitcher knew that if he didnt have the ball, he needed to stay off the mound in case someone was doing the hidden ball trick...

If this pitcher can think of that in the span of 3 seconds, with no prior planning, then almost all base runners should also be able to know not to lead off til the pitcher is on the mound.

This is probably why it doesnt happen more often... You need to wait for a pitcher who has a sense for whats going on, a fielder who knows the baserunner and basecoach werent paying attention, a baserunner who is a little lazy and just takes a lead without checking to see where the pitcher is, and a base coach who isnt paying attention to keep the runner on the bag. I dont think all 4 of those things happen too often.

The video was great though. The runner looked so upset.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Yeh, it was pretty awesome. That was Lowell's second time to do that in as many years. You have no reason to lead off of the bag until the pitcher gets on the mound. Not to mention the fact, Terrero (runner) and the third base coach should have noticed that Todd Jones never got the ball. Wow, that should NEVER happen in the pros.

+ Reply to Thread