+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Katrina

We all need to offer up a prayer for our friends and families in the areas to be impacted. This is going to be tough on them personally and professionally.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

winds now up to 175mph, hold on to your wigs !!!!

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

My God... I might end up in Ruston or something tonight... Whether it be by driving, or blown there by the winds and flood waters.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Global warming doubled a storm threat: research

THE GUARDIAN , LONDON
    Saturday, Aug 27, 2005,Page 7
    Tropical storms have doubled in destructive potential in the past 30 years because ocean surfaces have become warmer, according to a leading climate researcher.

This is the first time that an increase in the size, duration and power of tropical storms has been linked to global warming.

The result could have a significant effect on British weather, and have potentially disastrous consequences for the Caribbean, the west coast of the US and Pacific countries such as Japan.

Kerry Emanuel, of the atmospheric, oceans and climate research department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has studied data from all the severe storms -- or tropical cyclones -- over the past 30 years.

He says they have been more intense and longer in duration, and have generated far more power, than computer models had predicted.

Thermodynamics

Emanuel, an acknowledged world expert on the thermodynamics of tropical cyclone research, told the Guardian that he believed the power of the storms to create huge waves and mix the surface water of the oceans could also effect ocean currents -- ?particularly the Gulf Stream, which sends warm water northwards and keeps Britain's climate milder than it otherwise would be.

Many scientists have predicted that the Gulf Stream could slow or be "turned off" by the effect of increased fresh water entering the Arctic from melting ice.

Greater mixing

But Emanuel believes that the greater mixing of warm water in the tropics could have the opposite effect -- speeding up the currents and driving more warm water north.

Although there is no connection between his research and recent observations in Iceland, temperatures in the North Atlantic have risen notably as as a direct result of a strong current flow pushing farther north.

Emanuel's findings, published in Nature magazine, follow an inconclusive scientific debate about whether the frequency of storms is a natural phenomenon or a result of man-made climate change.

Climate models

Climate models run through computers indicate that storms are likely to become more severe, but this is the first evidence that this phenomenon is already happening.

What is surprising is that the severity is far more pronounced than the computer models have predicted.

According to the paper, the computer models estimated that wind speeds would increase by 2 to 3 percent as a result of an already observed rise in the ocean temperature of 5?C.

Total force

Because of the longer duration of storms, this would increase the total force exerted by the average hurricane by 8 to 12 percent.

However, Emanuel's measurements of real winds show that storms can pick up much greater intensity as the ocean waters mix.

During a storm, the winds cause the warm surface water to mix with the cooler ocean below.

Normally, this mixing would puts a brake on the power of the storm because of the overall reduction in sea temperature caused by the mixing.

But measurements show that it is not just the surface of the sea that has warmed in recent decades -- the layer underneath is also at a higher temperature.

This means that the wave action that mixes the layers does not have such a pronounced cooling effect as before and, as a result, the intensity of the storm remains significantly higher.

Emanuel's view is that at least part of this increase in ocean temperature is caused by man-made climate change.

"Whatever the cause, the near doubling of power dissipation over the period of record should be a matter of some concern, as it is a measure of the destructive potential of tropical cyclones," Emanuel said.

Julian Heming, a tropical prediction scientist with the Met Office in Exeter, said that he did not question Emanuel's measurements.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Not the time or place sir. Take that to the political board.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I heard on FOX this morning about all of the bodies stacked up after Camille. They were saying that many of the bodies were there as a result of snake bites. I had seen many documentaries about Camille that talked about it. That would be enough to make me get out.

Puppy jfond is an unknown

Could Tech open up one of the old/closed dorms as a shelter?

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    Not the time or place sir. Take that to the political board.
    Science is not political, sir.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    Science is not political, sir.
    No, but your agenda is.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by jfond
    Could Tech open up one of the old/closed dorms as a shelter?
    They've done it before. I remember last year or a couple of years ago putting up a busload of Xavier students. Right now Ruston Civic Center is a shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses
    No, but your agenda is.
    I don't have an agenda. Hurricanes are neither Democrat or Republican. Science is concerned with why they occur as they do and their other manifestatons.

What you object to are the obvious conclusions that are derived from science.

More than 100k people are remaining in NO. Hopefully, Katrina's center will pass on the east side of the metro area.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

More than 100k people are remaining in NO. Hopefully, Katrina's center will pass on the east side of the metro area.
    In light of the subject, my post was a best unkind. We need passage to the west as far as we can get it from NOLA.

Salty, I plan to pray for just that tonight...and I suspect you will pray something similar.

My apologies for the tone of the original post.
    Last edited by CARTEK; 08-28-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

What I am hearing is it would be better if it went slightly west instead of east. With it going to the east, that will cause a northward surge from Lake Ponchatrain.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I just finished my preparations and I am ready for the storm. I live in Franklinton, LA about 35 miles north of the lake. My family and I should be ok, but we are more than a little nervous. My parents are housing three families. My wife and I are housing their pets. 5 dogs and 4 cats. We just found out that there is a voluntary evacuation for low lying areas here, but we are pretty high up and part of my house is cinder block walls.

Regardless, please pray for my family and those around us.

+ Reply to Thread