+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    I don't have an agenda. Hurricanes are neither Democrat or Republican. Science is concerned with why they occur as they do and their other manifestatons.

What you object to are the obvious conclusions that are derived from science.
    I have almost always disagreed wih you and now I just plain don't like you.

Honestly... do you dance around dying cancer patients throwing out flyers about the hope of stem cell research chanting hippy liberal protest songs? It's called tact, man.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty
    I have almost always disagreed wih you and now I just plain don't like you.

Honestly... do you dance around dying cancer patients throwing out flyers about the hope of stem cell research chanting hippy liberal protest songs? It's called tact, man.
    I guess now you have joined the rest of us. And yes, he probably does spew garbage at every chance he gets.

Try to stay dry and safe.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty
    I just finished my preparations and I am ready for the storm. I live in Franklinton, LA about 35 miles north of the lake. My family and I should be ok, but we are more than a little nervous. My parents are housing three families. My wife and I are housing their pets. 5 dogs and 4 cats. We just found out that there is a voluntary evacuation for low lying areas here, but we are pretty high up and part of my house is cinder block walls.

Regardless, please pray for my family and those around us.
    We've offered up several today and will continue to do so until this is over with. Be safe.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Why are matters of scientific observation fodder for politics?

Even GWB has stated his concern over global warming.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Pray for my twin sister (Tech grad) who is the HR director at Baptist Hospital in New Orleans. She has to stay at the hospital since she's considered "essential personnel". On the news down here, one of the experts said that not many high rises in New Orleans will be left standing. Her hospital is 8 stories so I don't know if that's considered a high rise or not. Also, her husband (a Tech grad and former football player) is very worried as he saw that report, but also, his mom and step dad have decided to ride out the storm. They live right outside of Chalmette next door to my sister and brother in law. He and my nephews came up to my parents' house. But needless to say, he is very worried.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Pray for my twin sister (Tech grad) who is the HR director at Baptist Hospital in New Orleans. She has to stay at the hospital since she's considered "essential personnel". On the news down here, one of the experts said that not many high rises in New Orleans will be left standing. Her hospital is 8 stories so I don't know if that's considered a high rise or not. Also, her husband (a Tech grad and former football player) is very worried as he saw that report, but also, his mom and step dad have decided to ride out the storm. They live right outside of Chalmette next door to my sister and brother in law. He and my nephews came up to my parents' house. But needless to say, he is very worried.
    DD, I'm not an expert on high-rise buildings but I would think that an 8 story building is not high enough to suffer wind damage. Usually a high-rise building is 30 stories or more. I do know that if I were spending tonight in NO I could not think of a better place to be than an 8-story Hospital with its own generators and back-up food and water supplies. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that hospitals follow a special building code above the regular commerical building.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses
    What I am hearing is it would be better if it went slightly west instead of east. With it going to the east, that will cause a northward surge from Lake Ponchatrain.
    I was thinking that Katrina passing on the east would reduce the storm surge from the Gulf. Looks like either way it won't make much difference.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    I was thinking that Katrina passing on the east would reduce the storm surge from the Gulf. Looks like either way it won't make much difference.
    Please feel free to quit while you're behind at any time. You aren't making any buddies here.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    Why are matters of scientific observation fodder for politics?

Even GWB has stated his concern over global warming.
    It's not about science Aub. its about tact and class. There is a time and a place for everything. Salty was just pushing buttons. Besides there are many on this board that have many differing opinions re: global warming.

As a homebuilder I am wondering if La. has adopted the same building codes that Fla. has adopted in preparation for these storms. (hurricane straps ect..)

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Unfortunately, the wind speed increases the highter the buliding height because the friction associated with the ground lessens the higher you go. Sorry, but its just the engineer in me.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses
    What I am hearing is it would be better if it went slightly west instead of east. With it going to the east, that will cause a northward surge from Lake Ponchatrain.
    If the center passes within 15 miles either side, which it is looking like at this point, its not going to matter much. They are going to be getting water from all directions.

This is unbelievable. This thing needs to weaken quick because its not making the north-north east turn we were hoping for..

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

To all Dawgs that may be affected by Katrina:

My family and I are offering up our prayers to you guys that you all come through this unscathed. Having lived through Katrina when it came through South Florida, I can attest to the fact that this storm is not kidding around. We were just lucky that it was only a Cat 1 when it paid us a visit.

Good luck to you all!

Dawgyinmiami

Posting relevent scientific news about an on-going current event is certainly NOT out of place. Some posters here are just overly sensitive and emotional given the current crisis in their front yard. As for class and tact, not too many posters here have any.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

I'm afraid we're just before witnessing a catastrophic event probably unrivaled in our history. This is the "perfect" storm we've been reading about for years. Unless there's a last hour change of direction, it looks like this is going to be a defining moment in the history of our country. I don't think any of us will have seen any destruction even close to what we are on the verge of. We have helped countries all over the world recover from natural disasters and I bet none of them lift a hand to help us now. I would urge all of us to be thinking what we can do, no matter how small it may seem, to try and help in the aftermath of this event. I am just sick as I type this to think of what New Orleans may look like in the morning. I grew up going to New Orleans and still have a first cousin living there. I think he got out yesterday and is at his mom and dad's in Alexandria. At this point all I can do is ask God to be with those poor people who couldn't make it out and those who will probably lose everything they left behind.

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

With my sincerest concerns I called in a donation to the Red Cross in hopes to help those affectected by the hurricane. A great southern city will be put to the test over the next few days. I encourage those that can to help.

+ Reply to Thread