+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reflections

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Reflections

Well, I had a longer post but it wouldn't get posted so here is the gist of what I was going to say.

This is no more Governor Blanco's fault than it is the President. I think, like Dwayne said, the problem is the number of people that chose to ignore the mandatory evacuation. Governor Blanco could not have done anything about that. It doesn't matter when it would have been issued. These people would have ignored it regardless. Also, if I'm not mistaken, as maddawg posted elsewhere, I don't think that Louisiana has a provision allowing the declaration of martial law. Also, the Governor has to be aware of legal implications involved in the shooting of these malcontents. These are people that will take advantage of the system whether it be by looting or suing. It's easy for us to say what she should have done when we're on the outside looking in. That being said, I would have given the order to shoot a long time ago.

On another note. A fraternity brother suggested that anybody that is planning on going down to assess their situation when it is opened up should go in pairs at least with someone who is not afraid to use a gun which means go in armed. I suggest that also.

Sooner, thanks for the defense. Maddawg, love ya brother. Don't you two start bickering on my account. There's still enough liberal left in me that I want everyone to get along.

Also, my brother-in-law will not be able to get his subscription to Playboy, so if you all will send me what ever copies you can, I'll be sure to get them to him. Just make sure you put my name on them and not Vette's.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    So, we don't even have mandatory evacuation declared by the mayor and governor until Sunday? Yes. Ask for federal troops, but don't do your part in clearing out the people. Doesn't compute. Your position while well meaning is not really defensible.
    Mandatory evacuation doesn't mean much if you have no way to leave and nowhere to go.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc
    Mandatory evacuation doesn't mean much if you have no way to leave and nowhere to go.
    Not to mention that these folks have been ignoring mandatory evacuations for several decades. Alot of the folks that were the poorest and the least educated had to make the most effort to get out...I'm not making excuses for them, but it's easy to understand why they didn't leave.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    Not to mention that these folks have been ignoring mandatory evacuations for several decades. Alot of the folks that were the poorest and the least educated had to make the most effort to get out...I'm not making excuses for them, but it's easy to understand why they didn't leave.
    Except for the fact that places were set up for them to go to and transportation to those places was provided.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Except for the fact that places were set up for them to go to and transportation to those places was provided.
    I don't find that contrary to my post. A lot of this goes back to ignorance...or just call it stupidity if you want. These people have ignored the evac. orders for a long time and they were too ignorant to get where they needed to be.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Point being, that many folks can't/won't follow simple instructions and have little or no sense of responsibility.

That's why so many folks don't have/can't keep a job.

jmo

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should stop blaming the victims of this natural disaster. Regardless of if they were ignorant or stupid or there were other circumstances that we can't understand, we need to get them out NOW. They are citizens of our country and they are dying right now.

The Coast Guard has stated that the Port of New Orleans is open to "shallow water" barges now. Why not get these people on the barges and get them out? There are thousands upon thousands still there. I am not talking about the superdome crowd, I am talking about people that are in groups everywhere around the city. A HUGE crowd is starving and dying right in front of the convention center right now.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you better really start questioning your Federal Gov't. A huge press conference just gave us the information that supplies are there and people are being helped. Then we see the Mayor of N.O. makes a plea for a desperate SOS stating that the supplies are not enough and there are not enough busses. The Mayor has just stated that the people can start marching out of N.O. That is underway now.

Now, the President is going to hold a press conference with the two former Presidents about what they are going to do.

I don't want to hear about sending troops in 1400 at a time day by day. I want to hear how they are going to get thousands of people out right now.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if the law abiding citizens would help subdue the thugs, the buses and helicopters could stop and pick them up.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I saw the press conference.

You may not want the 1400 troops per day for three days, but it is necessary for the relief you want, because law and order must be established first.

What you failed to mention was that he went down the priorities of what they were doing. Right now, they are in the rescue stage. People are dying on rooftops, and they must be rescued first.

They have started the evacuation stage, but it will go into full force once the rescue stage is over and the resources can be reallocated.

I watched CNN at lunch so I could see what Champ was seeing. They are showing a bunch of overweight people doing staged cheers and jeers. The Home Security Director acknowledged that these people are getting hot and restless. However, he is keeping his eye on the ball, and is continuing the rescue efforts.

Once the people have been evacuated, then they will look for either permanent or semi-permanent housing for the evacuees.

It looks like they are doing all they can do.

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I think we should stop blaming the victims of this natural disaster. Regardless of if they were ignorant or stupid or there were other circumstances that we can't understand, we need to get them out NOW. They are citizens of our country and they are dying right now.

The Coast Guard has stated that the Port of New Orleans is open to "shallow water" barges now. Why not get these people on the barges and get them out? There are thousands upon thousands still there. I am not talking about the superdome crowd, I am talking about people that are in groups everywhere around the city. A HUGE crowd is starving and dying right in front of the convention center right now.
    Champ,

You and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, there is no doubt about that. But I find myself in total agreement with you on this.

It is crazy to say - in essence - these people deserve to die because they didn't evacuate. It has been pointed out many times that many of these are people that couldn't leave because they didn't have either the financial or physical capability. Of course, there were places that were designated shelters for these people. Some of them went there, some of them didn't. But here we are three days removed from the hurricane, and our elected officials are trying to decide how to move these people? Wasn't our homeland security department supposed to have some sort of plan already? Can you imagine the devastation and loss of life we would be witnessing had a terrorist blown up the levee -- without most of the city already being evacuated. There evidently is/was absolutely no plan, no what if, no "this is what we're going to do in this situation" out there.

I am sick and tired of seeing the talking heads on TV. People are dying... there really is nothing else to say. This isn't Iraq, Afghanistan, the Sudan or any other third world country. This is the United States. We are supposed to rise above the situation. There is no way we should be able to justify children, infant babies, and the elderly dying.

I voted for W both times... and as his reaction to 9/11 was one of his finest moments, this has to be his worst. Ditto for Blanco, Vitter, Nagin, Landrieu.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I have a question: Why are there 100,000 people in NO? You cannot tell me that many could not get out of the city. I am sorry but it is called survival. I find it crazy that animals can survive through catastrophes through instincts, yet people can be told something is going to happen and our too hard-headed to listen. I understand that some people could not get out, I know a girl that could not, but there is no way that many people should be in NO. It is ridiculous that people dont listen to warnings. I feel sorry for many of the people there that could not get out for some reason or another, but those that stayed out of stupidity are burdening the relief effort.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Maybe if the law abiding citizens would help subdue the thugs, the buses and helicopters could stop and pick them up.
    AMEN! Breaking news about a hospital being fired upon so that they have had to stop evacuating. Get control of the city. No excuse for the recent chaos in Baton Rouge either. What's wrong with the state and city gov. over there (hey it has to start at the local level first)? Never mind... I know the answer.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Nobody is wanting these people to die. What we are saying is that there are people who are in need of rescue in three states. We are doing all we can for these people in need of evacuation. The point is, we do feel badly for them, but one has to admit that they are in that position as a matter of choice. They can get angry about the time it takes to move these thousands of voluntary non-evacuees who now want to be evacuated immediately, but they are there because they chose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    Nobody is wanting these people to die. What we are saying is that there are people who are in need of rescue in three states. We are doing all we can for these people in need of evacuation. The point is, we do feel badly for them, but one has to admit that they are in that position as a matter of choice. They can get angry about the time it takes to move these thousands of voluntary non-evacuees who now want to be evacuated immediately, but they are there because they chose to be.
    The other two states are in a MUCH different situation.

Yes, the law enforcement needs to come in. The fact of the matter is that if you drove tanks in (yes, they can get to the convention center, if a BUS can get to the Superdome).

I don't care if you crown W as King right now. All I care about is those people stranded.

What about barges? They can now get in.

Are they bringing food and water to those thousands that are in front of the convention center? They don't have any and the Mayor just told them to start marching out of N.O., because there are not enough busses.

+ Reply to Thread