+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What really happened in New Orleans

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: What really happened in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Would you be blaming FEMA if Clinton was President right now? I really want to know that. Of course, you may not admit it, if it were true. I have a feeling that some of you would be calling for Clinton's head, if this happened under his watch. Come on now, be honest about that!
    I promise you Champ that I would not have blamed any president in office for the ineptitude of this situation. I have already stated that FEMA might have been a little late, but the state and local levels of governments did nothing. They are closer to the problem, they are the first responders and have to have plans for the immediate response. There was no response and no planning. I am not playing political games with this, I am just giving my observations. Our local and state governments were terrible, and that is what caused this situation to get out of hand, not FEMA or the federal government. Obviously, FEMA was decently organized when they got here though because crap got done after 4 days of nothing. Did you know Blanco said that buses shouldnt go into NO at night because of violence? How about their being violence because the rescued people were sleeping on the Interstate? How about Bush ripping Blanco a new one when he got there because of her ineptitude? I have always heard she doesnt like to take orders from a man and doesnt like to give up authority, but this takes the cake. She is done in Politics, absolutely done. Nagin might sneak by like a snake because of his low stature as a mayor in the grand scheme, but this will not be forgotten by many in his case. If I were to rate out blame, i would give FEMA 5%, Nagin/local-40%, and Blanco/state-55%. This is about doing your job, and trust me, Democrats need to stop politicizing this because it will blow up in their face. First of all, Blanco and Nagin are Dems. Second of all, the tried to get a first mover advantage by blaming federal/Bush first, but people will sniff out that rat real quick and look down upon them trying to politicize this so quickly. The Repubs grandstanded with the no comment and didnt politicize, a great move in my opinion. They will most likely come out smelling like a rose for that reason alone. I am not being partisan, those are just observations I have made.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    I promise you Champ that I would not have blamed any president in office for the ineptitude of this situation. I have already stated that FEMA might have been a little late, but the state and local levels of governments did nothing. They are closer to the problem, they are the first responders and have to have plans for the immediate response. There was no response and no planning. I am not playing political games with this, I am just giving my observations. Our local and state governments were terrible, and that is what caused this situation to get out of hand, not FEMA or the federal government. Obviously, FEMA was decently organized when they got here though because crap got done after 4 days of nothing. Did you know Blanco said that buses shouldnt go into NO at night because of violence? How about their being violence because the rescued people were sleeping on the Interstate? How about Bush ripping Blanco a new one when he got there because of her ineptitude? I have always heard she doesnt like to take orders from a man and doesnt like to give up authority, but this takes the cake. She is done in Politics, absolutely done. Nagin might sneak by like a snake because of his low stature as a mayor in the grand scheme, but this will not be forgotten by many in his case. If I were to rate out blame, i would give FEMA 5%, Nagin/local-40%, and Blanco/state-55%. This is about doing your job, and trust me, Democrats need to stop politicizing this because it will blow up in their face. First of all, Blanco and Nagin are Dems. Second of all, the tried to get a first mover advantage by blaming federal/Bush first, but people will sniff out that rat real quick and look down upon them trying to politicize this so quickly. The Repubs grandstanded with the no comment and didnt politicize, a great move in my opinion. They will most likely come out smelling like a rose for that reason alone. I am not being partisan, those are just observations I have made.
    No one is going to come out smelling like a rose in this one. For those of you that refuse to see that FEMA ALSO had a big problem (and continues to be a problem), I disagree.

I know the loudest and most cunning politicians usually win a fight like this, regardless of some of the facts. I hope, in this case, they are able to sort all of this out and change some things to prevent something like this in the future. I hope that for all our sakes.

I don't have to worry about the N.O. and Louisiana gov't at this point due to where I live. I do have to worry about the other agencies, though. We all better hope that things are cleaned up on every level. If you feel safe and know that help will arrive soon in a disaster, I am happy for you. I don't have that confidence right now.

So, stand by your party if you choose. I am trying to be as non-partisan as possible. Those who messed up on every level and in every party should be held responsible.
    Last edited by champion110; 09-12-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

If you feel safe and know that help will arrive soon in a disaster, I am happy for you. I don't have that confidence right now.
    Believe me on this Champ, I will never feel safe with my life in the government's hands. That is why I pray and hope I am never put in a situation like this. You can never truly depend on the government. I am all for American individualism. I guess you can call me old school, but I have never trusted government much, but I do understand that many need that support. I also understand that many use the government for their benefit. I know I will never do the second, and I pray and hope I never have to the do the first. If you depend on the government, you will always be disappointed. They can never help like you can help yourself.

No one is going to come out smelling like a rose in this one. For those of you that refuse to see that FEMA ALSO had a big problem (and continues to be a problem), I disagree.
    All I know, is that if FEMA wouldnt have shown up and started making decisions for Blanco, there would still be 50,000 people in the city, and that is not just about resources. It is more about leadership, and how we sorely lack it in this state. I always knew if the crap hit the fan and Blanco had to make snap decisions, it would not be a pretty sight. I dont think FEMA will come out smeilling like a rose. I was more referring to the Repubs grandstanding and not fingerpointing like many leading Dems have done. FEMA will take some much deserved heat, but if you think that most of this doesnt fall on Nagin and Blanco, you are just being blind to the facts. Nagin designated places as "relief" centers, yet those places offered nothing to the people, no food or water, nothing. If you have food and water in those places, you dont have people dehydrating, hungry, or angry. I am sorry, I just truly believe this is mostly a problem with our state and our city.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

All I know, is that if FEMA wouldnt have shown up and started making decisions for Blanco, there would still be 50,000 people in the city, and that is not just about resources. It is more about leadership, and how we sorely lack it in this state. I always knew if the crap hit the fan and Blanco had to make snap decisions, it would not be a pretty sight. I dont think FEMA will come out smeilling like a rose. I was more referring to the Repubs grandstanding and not fingerpointing like many leading Dems have done. FEMA will take some much deserved heat, but if you think that most of this doesnt fall on Nagin and Blanco, you are just being blind to the facts. Nagin designated places as "relief" centers, yet those places offered nothing to the people, no food or water, nothing. If you have food and water in those places, you dont have people dehydrating, hungry, or angry. I am sorry, I just truly believe this is mostly a problem with our state and our city.
    They all have a piece of the blame. I think that most of you are agreeing with that, even if you place most of the blame on Nagin and Blanco. As I stated, I don't have to worry about Nagin or Blanco in a situation like this where I live. I still don't have confidence in getting help.

dhuss,
    I agree that each individual has to depend on themselves to the greatest extent possible. Some are more capable of doing this than others, as has been the case thoughout history. We are the most powerful and wealthiest country in history. We should be able to provide assistance to our citizens that are in an emergency situation. Yes, I am talking about ALL levels - private, local, state, and federal. I certainly commend the private citizens and organizations in all of this. They were ready and jumped right in to help where they could.

I certainly commend the private citizens and organizations in all of this. They were ready and jumped right in to help where they could.
    This is a place where we are in total agreeance, Champ. There is something special about volunteer work. Sometimes you dread being at work too long and you get paid there. But when I was volunteering and it came time to shut down, they had to pretty much kick everybody out because people just wanted to keep doing more. It was awesome. That is why I took it to heart when that guy on Maher's show said that Republican Christians werent doing anything. First of all, not all Christians down south are Repubs, so it was a slap in the face to his fellow democrat Christians down south that are working hard. Second of all, he is simply ignoring facts. That wasnt about relgion to me, it was about discrediting what I and fellow church members of mine had done. I am thankful for anybody that has volunteered and will never discredit their contribution, no matter who you are or what affiliation you are with.

This is a place where we are in total agreeance, Champ. There is something special about volunteer work. Sometimes you dread being at work too long and you get paid there. But when I was volunteering and it came time to shut down, they had to pretty much kick everybody out because people just wanted to keep doing more. It was awesome. That is why I took it to heart when that guy on Maher's show said that Republican Christians werent doing anything. First of all, not all Christians down south are Repubs, so it was a slap in the face to his fellow democrat Christians down south that are working hard. Second of all, he is simply ignoring facts. That wasnt about relgion to me, it was about discrediting what I and fellow church members of mine had done. I am thankful for anybody that has volunteered and will never discredit their contribution, no matter who you are or what affiliation you are with.
    Agree!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel safe and know that help will arrive soon in a disaster, I am happy for you. I don't have that confidence right now.
    Gary, I agree in part. I don't know about you guys but this latest picture of Sean Penn coming to "save the day" scares me. I'd much rather have Federal troops and/or the National Gaurd. Somebody needs to fly this idiot back to California.

Sean Penn stuns fans as he is pictured in NY POST roaming the streets of hurricane hit New Orleans -- armed with a shotgun!...

I agree, Ray. That probably sent people back into their attics. I don't think I would have come out of my home for him.

I agree, Ray. That probably sent people back into their attics. I don't think I would have come out of my home for him.
    I might have come out of my home, with my own shotgun, and done the world a big favor.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

The original incident posted here finally made a major news source. Here's the article from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/kat...dge/index.html

While not confirming the whole story, the Gretna police chief admits they turned people away on the bridge who were trying to walk out. He denies that shots were fired (something I find a bit hard to buy given that you'd think there'd be at least one reporter around), but it still smacks pretty loudly of racism.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Why does it smack of racism? As usual the most important statement made by the sheriff was the last to be printed.....

"We had no radios. We had no phones. We had no communications, as I just told you," he said. "We had not spoken to the city of New Orleans prior to or during this event. Who were we going to call? What were we going to do with thousands of people without enough water to sustain them, without enough food to sustain them, or without any shelter?"

These people would have been turned away if they were white or any other color. They had no place for them!

#1 reason people didn't get out of N.O. sooner was not because of transportation, but because they had nowhere to put them. Why do people refuse to admit this and blame it on race?

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    Why does it smack of racism? As usual the most important statement made by the sheriff was the last to be printed.....

"We had no radios. We had no phones. We had no communications, as I just told you," he said. "We had not spoken to the city of New Orleans prior to or during this event. Who were we going to call? What were we going to do with thousands of people without enough water to sustain them, without enough food to sustain them, or without any shelter?"

These people would have been turned away if they were white or any other color. They had no place for them!

#1 reason people didn't get out of N.O. sooner was not because of transportation, but because they had nowhere to put them. Why do people refuse to admit this and blame it on race?
    I am not arguing all of your points, but I do want to point out the there is a huge mall when you come down from the bridge. It had food and water there and some help was already on that side of the bridge. They might could have accomodated the people walking out. I don't know that they could have, but you are talking about a city - not a little town like the Sheriff tried to present it. I lived in Harvey for a while (just on the other side of Gretna). It is a suburban sprawl type place.

Again, I don't know what happened on that bridge, but it sounds pretty cruel from first hand accounts, albeit those that were angry.

+ Reply to Thread