+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CAN WE TAKE A DEEP BREATH?

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

CAN WE TAKE A DEEP BREATH?

The love & passion on this board for Louisiana Tech Football is inspirational. I have carefully read virtually every post since the Kansas loss and found many, many posts to be truthful and on target. I do, however, with 9 games left in our season, think perhaps it might be time to really take a deep breath, pause, and really give serious thought to the things we've been saying.

Did anyone on this board expect us to beat Florida? Florida has since proved to be a pretty good football team-not great, but pretty good. I know many of you expected us to be equal to Kansas and perhaps we were. I also know how darn hard it is to go into a BCS venue & beat the BCS home team. Like all of you, I was bitterly disappointed in our second half performance.

Has the play-calling been up-to-snuff? No! I can remember when that was my responsibility-thinking with just a few seconds to make about 70 individual decisions, any of which could affect the outcome of the game. There was NEVER a game when afterwards, in evaluating myself, I wish I could have had several of the play calls back. I expect most play-callers, if they were honest, would tell you the same. I seem to be much better at it NOW! I expect the TN coaches would do so many things differently, if they had another chance, including getting the play calls in in time to get them off before the time expired.

There are some positive things to talk about. The play of our defense vs. both Florida & Kansas gives optimism for the next nine games. Our special teams play, as a whole, has been pretty doggone good. All of us realize we need our punter to perform in the games like he practices. Above all, we have come out of the first two paycheck games in VERY GOOD HEALTH!

Now is NOT the time for name-calling, firing petitions, threats, innuendos, & such intense personal criticism. What GOOD will it all do anyway? Does anyone really believe that a petition that eminates from our board will carry any influence? That question will earn me a lecture from HD about management paying attention to its customers, and I understand that argument, but how much attention has been paid to us to date?

I DO know this! We've got 105 of the finest young men working their butts off to do the absolute best they can to represent OUR university. If for nothing else, these MEN deserve our attendance & support. What do you say?

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Re: CAN WE TAKE A DEEP BREATH?

you are right coach. our defense and special teams look better, and 2 out of 3 aint bad. we do need to support our players.

since when has our bad mouthing the coach gotten us anywhere anyway. no one listens to us. i guess there will always be november and december for that stuff if things havent started to look up.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

I agree, this criticism is way too pre-mature..

Look at his non-imaginary game record is still the same as the end of last year. In particular let the next three games decide the fate-- a big "Should win" vs NMS, a "deceptive win" vs. Hawaii at home, and an "even matchup" vs. Nevada... You will see exactly what tihs team has against an entire spectrum of competition.

If an 0-5 Tech team shows up to play North Texas, then that would probably be the time to call for heads rolling... As far as QB goes, it would be the same type of situation to see Champion in action... after both Allen and Kubik faulter badly in WAC play

Although 7 winnable games are ahead, on account of history, I just don't see it happening without tripping up somewhere along the way.... but I hope I'm wrong!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

After listening to much of the game, I was disappointed in some aspects, but encouraged in others.

For the post-game analysis, I have deferred to our fans, and to the Kansas fans, who were able to see the game. Most of the comments by both groups of fans were not real complimentary of our coaching.

Our defense seems to be pretty good by our recent standards. I hope they continue that and build on it. I hope we can settle on a QB and he will perform well week-in and week-out. I hope our punter gets more consistent.

I hope we beat the heck out of NMSU and we are all thinking happier thoughts two weeks from now.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

I agree with Brother Domangue. As much as I dislike Bick, calling for his head after 2 games is a bit to quick to pull the trigger.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Sorry, guys, but people aren't calling for his head after just 2 games -- it's been 3 YEARS in the making. We see the same stuff year-in and year-out from this coach... and the first 2 games of this season are just proving that this year will be more of the same. It never changes and likely will never change as long as he's around. I've read a lot of people saying that they can tell what plays we're running before the ball is ever snapped. Well, I'd argue that most of us who've suffered through the past 3 seasons can tell you how a game is going to turn out before the ball is ever kicked-off. There are very few surprises with this staff (except for the Fresno game last year) -- they are outcoached almost every time we set foot on the field. While I agree that it probably doesn't matter what any of us think, the fact of the matter is that Tech will not improve or move forward until this guy is gone.

Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, but I'm tired of getting my hopes dashed every season. I live for football and never miss a Tech game. But, I'm really getting tired of putting my Saturdays on-hold (i.e. missing out on things with my 3 kids) just to be disappointed at the end of the day. We've all been hoping that this coach would get better and learn from his mistakes, which would (hopefully) translate into more wins and better performance. But, who are we kidding? This guy hasn't changed a bit from the day he was named head coach. He's still bringing in these supposed great coaches who worked with his dad, but where are the results?

I, too, am pleased that our defense is better, but where has that gotten us? Now that we have a defense, we have no offense. It's like the zero sum principle with this guy -- if one aspect gets better, the other one will get worse. Sorry again for being a downer, but things have got to change. Only trouble is that, based on the past 2-3 years, things are likely to stay the same because our admin apparently doesn't care about wins/losses.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I agree with mild that this isn't just the by-product of the last two games. We've watched these poor decisions for 7 years now. They are, however, more evident this year because Bick and Con lack a superstar to make them look better than they are.

I also agree that our complaining has never gotten us anything. I suppose the season will look up and then down and maybe up again before everything is over. The best senario I can imagine is a 7-4 finish, but with only 2 WAC bowls this year I fear it won't be enough to send us to a bowl and I think that's for the better. I'm not sure we have the leadership to win a bowl game against a BCS team and we don't need the public humiliation.

After reading clyde's comments about the attitude of our administration, I'm no more confident in our ability to put together a top notch program.

However, I'm going to the games for the rest of the season for one reason...the players. These guys play their hearts out and bust their butts everyday. They can't call the plays and they won't disobey their coach. They are stand-up guys and they deserve my appreciation. I sincerely hope that this coaching staff will pull it's collective head out of its hind-parts so that these seniors can walk away from their last game with their heads held high.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

I agree people should still go to games and support TECH, but i wont be supporting Bicknell. He should have been gone after last year, and i hope he'll be gone after this year. I'll still go to every game and yell till i cant talk, but it will be with Fire Bick written on my shirt

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

I am in agreement, no time to jump ship .

Lets see how the Bicknell does in the next 7 games. He has two weeks to make adjustments to make sure that Tech is ready for out Mid-season run run. Our defense seems to have improved and our offense has played the toughest games of the season, reason for optimisim.

While I may not have agreed with the decision to keep Bickell the past two season, it was made and I have to accept that decision. Florida and Kansas is no reason to fire a guy midseason. He deserves a chance and a full season to prove why he was kept around. If he can not get it done, the end of the season is the time to talk about a replacement.

I hope he gets the job done, because that means Tech is winning.

Bulldog Wade is an unknown

The Mick has spoken. Few on this board are qualified to dispute his reason.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

ONE GAME HAS DETERMINED EVERYONE'S CURRENT OPINION OF JBIII.

Let's imagine that fateful day on the island November 6, 2004. If that one game would have been won by Tech....

* Tech finished the season 7-5 second place in the WAC
    * Tech goes to the first Independence Bowl since 1990, probably beats Iowa State
    * A renewed confidence in JBIII's abilities that he "turned the corner", and no one would be petitioning against him right now, even after losing two imaginary games

This entire public perception (whether you want to admit it or not) would be a complete "180" if a couple of plays had gone our way in the fourth quarter of that one game.

Again, I think all this talk is a little premature... let's see how he performs in these next 3 WAC games before rolling out the

Big Dog cberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to behold

..here's what I don't understand with the current Tech football program and it's coaching philosophy. Starting at the top - could you see the Dean applying for the job at LSU and use his outlook for sports as he does now at Tech? How would Bicknell and his staff do being the Head coach of LSU ?.....it's the "thinking" process that LSU has vs. that of Tech...ummm - think of the coach at Fresno State could do with this years crop ?...money can't buy a championship but it helps....here's a program just waiting for the right man and the right staff to back him and minds will change....if you think your small then you'll be small. Tech I believe is at the crossroads in 1-A sports....to many $$$ people are looking at other things to spend their time and money on...but still have that ray of hope things will change and after 7 years of being told things will get better- what is this based on ?

Champ kdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the rough

Has the play-calling been up-to-snuff? No! I can remember when that was my responsibility-thinking with just a few seconds to make about 70 individual decisions, any of which could affect the outcome of the game.

I was at the game Sat night and really did not have that much of a problem with the play calling. I thought alot of the things that went wrong were mistakes that can be fixed. Not really play calling issues.

Puppy theGRM is an unknown

I really admire Mick's optimism and devotion to our Tech and the current players. Unfortunately, after having watched our Bulldogs and been a fan and graduate for lo these 34 or so years I have NEVER felt so bad. I agree with you guys that the hand writing has been on the wall for YEARS. Just to complete this thread, the worst blunder JB ever made was in the Hawaii game several years ago. As I recall we got down about 21-0 quickly in the first quarter. Our guys came fighting back to tie and even go ahead. Played their hearts out. The score went back and forth. It was our guys r game to win or lose. Then, with a minute or so left in the game it was third and about 2 or 3 yards for a first downon about their 35, , Hawaii was tired to the bone, and Moats was averaging 6 or so yards per carry. Instead of letting the guys gut it out and probably win the first down and subsequently make a pretty sure TD and win the game, JB trys a stupid pass and then a dumb and dumber 54 or so field goal to tie the damn game. He literally took it away from our guys who had given it their all and surely would have gone on to win. I just know that!

That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and JB's inadequate coaching has gotten worse. I have lost a great deal of respect for DR who I actually taught as a grad assistant while getting my MS those many years ago. I too have written him and JO to absolutely no avail. Sadly, I will probably not go to anlther game. It is gut wrenching to travel to watch them play and then just get furious and disappointed out of my head after watching them lose due to poor coaching.
    I hope and pray that God in his mercy will look down upon Tech football and bring us back to those days that we all enjoyed so VERY MUCH.

A sad dawg...Russ Marsh, Alex.,La.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I am also going to have to dissent. I think our D has been great. If we dont pin them inside our own 30 three times against Kansas, we have a great day on the scoreboard defensively as well. I am with Jonny on this one. We dont have that playmaker that can make our bad play-calling look decent. This offense is showing our weaknesses, our play calling has been terrible. If you cant see that our RBs are the strength and that we need to pass off of the run then you are blind. I am beginning to think that our coaches are just hell bent on being a passing offense. In a close game against Kansas, we had our chance to run the ball and barely did it in the second half. This bad play calling has been continual in my opinion. I can remember when we lost to Hawaii my senior year and Moats had ran for 250 and we try to pass the ball on 3rd and 2 at the end of the game, instead of taking the first down with Moats. We finally ran some play action last game and the few plays we ran it, it looked good. Then, we abandoned it. Maybe we will come up wiht some more play action and didnt want to show it. When you are in a game with a Big 12 team, it isnt time to hold back, but maybe that is what we want to do. We wouldnt want to lose our paycheck, that might be conspiracy theory but after watching the game on Sat, I wonder. Our D and special teams our encouraging, but until we get plays in that suit our Offense, I am going to be skeptical of us being able to win.

+ Reply to Thread