+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 194 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2904

Thread: Global Warming Cont...

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Global Warming Cont...

I present that it doesn't matter, to a degree, that the earth warms up. The world has not always been the same. There was the tropic period, the ice age, blah blah blah. It always changes and it's no big deal if it keeps changing.

It is important to develop alternatives to fossil fuels for much more important reasons than global warming.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I agree that global warming isn't the ONLY good reason for ending dependence on fossil fuel.

However, can you tell me how many periods of temperature extremes have occurred during the evolution of human beings? What extremes can we survive? What changes will we be able to adapt to? Our lives are all about soil, water and air. The plants and animals we depend on have to survive for us to survive.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    I agree that global warming isn't the ONLY good reason for ending dependence on fossil fuel.

However, can you tell me how many periods of temperature extremes have occurred during the evolution of human beings? What extremes can we survive? What changes will we be able to adapt to? Our lives are all about soil, water and air. The plants and animals we depend on have to survive for us to survive.
    Mankind survives in deserts, islands, frozen wastelands, paradise, and moderate temperate zones.

It's no question as to whether we would survive. The question is whether we would stomach the changing natural environment, ie the tropic zone plants and animals would be able to flourish in a wider range, etc.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    I present that it doesn't matter, to a degree, that the earth warms up. The world has not always been the same. There was the tropic period, the ice age, blah blah blah. It always changes and it's no big deal if it keeps changing.

It is important to develop alternatives to fossil fuels for much more important reasons than global warming.
    The problem with your theory is that this MAN MADE change is exponentially greater than natural changes in the past. It's not even comparable.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg View Post
    The problem with your theory is that this MAN MADE change is exponentially greater than natural changes in the past. It's not even comparable.
    And this is by far the largest flaw in your reasoning. Why do you say this? What evidence do you have that makes this case, and is not made into evidence using deeply flawed assumptions, such as the ones I have attacked on the ice core measurements?

I agree it's not comparable - but it's not comparable because we don't have a technique to adequately compare... not because its so much greater than in the past.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Hey Salty.........

Just wondering......did you ever figure out what the "A" in AGW is???? I asked this several weeks ago and (unless I missed the answer, which is entirely possible) I still haven't received a reply.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

A = Anthropocentric
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Wait a second. We can't trust that data because the ice cores have been contaminated.
    Well Salty, You're right that we can't trust the "data". But the real reason is that -- even if the CO2 concentration data were real and not manufactured psuedo data -- it represents an almost infinitesimally small portion of the planet's surface. It is amazing that all of this so called CO2 data from long ago is coming from only 2 places where the ice cores were analyzed. To say that this represents the entire earth is ludicrous.

Then to come up with so called Average Temperature graphs that go back 400,000 years is even more ludicrous. First, there is no such thing as an "average earth temperature". Temperature is an INTENSIVE property. It cannot be properly averaged. There is no more an average earth temperature than there is an "average earth telephone number"!!! And that's true even if the temperatures that were averaged were real --- which they are not. When we go back to times before there were actually thermometers, most of this stuff comes from tree ring growth estimates which have ENORMOUS error bands. To say that we can detect extremely slight temperature field differences from tree ring growth is absurd. Tree ring growth can be influenced by many factors other than temperature.

This whole debate seems to be one in which the proponents have gotten so caught up in the evangelical message that a lot of seemingly intelligent people can't seem to see the forest for the trees!!! Or perhaps for the $$$$$ signs..................

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    A = Anthropocentric
    Thanks... meaning 'caused by man' I suppose.......

So I guess this means that since the new rallying cry is "AGW" we are told to believe that all global warming is caused by man.

It continues to get more and more absurd.................

Your info caused me to visit another source and I found this as another interretation of the "A"..................anthropogenic .................... essentially means the same thing.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pup60 View Post
    Your info caused me to visit another source and I found this as another interretation of the "A"..................anthropogenic .................... essentially means the same thing.
    Sorry, you are right - Anthropogenic is the word for human-caused. Anthropocentric is the word used to express a human-centered (some say biased) view of the world.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I was watching the Discovery-Science Channel, a show called "The Real Mars" (as if someone was out there promoting a fake Mars, or something). Anyway, the cold surface temps on Mars, the show stated, is due in part to the high concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere, which can not hold in the heat. Now! admittedly I was distracted as I was also looking at some of my work, but I could have sworn that's what was stated.

Isn't part of the whole GW hysteria over the increasing % of CO2 in Earth's atmosphere that traps heat?

Of course, it's interesting to note that Earth's atmosphere is basically 79% N2 gas, 20% O2 gas (that adds to 99% for you mathematically challenged folks), and traces of other gasses, which includes, in tiny amounts CO2 gas. So, my question is, even if CO2 doubled...that would mean it might go from being .2% to .4% how much difference can that make...really?

Now, Venus really enjoys the greenhouse effect! I need to research it, to find out the composition of Venus' atmosphere. Is it methane gas? Maybe?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I was watching the Discovery-Science Channel, a show called "The Real Mars" (as if someone was out there promoting a fake Mars, or something). Anyway, the cold surface temps on Mars, the show stated, is due in part to the high concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere, which can not hold in the heat. Now! admittedly I was distracted as I was also looking at some of my work, but I could have sworn that's what was stated.

Isn't part of the whole GW hysteria over the increasing % of CO2 in Earth's atmosphere that traps heat?

Of course, it's interesting to note that Earth's atmosphere is basically 79% N2 gas, 20% O2 gas (that adds to 99% for you mathematically challenged folks), and traces of other gasses, which includes, in tiny amounts CO2 gas. So, my question is, even if CO2 doubled...that would mean it might go from being .2% to .4% how much difference can that make...really?

Now, Venus really enjoys the greenhouse effect! I need to research it, to find out the composition of Venus' atmosphere. Is it methane gas? Maybe?

Martian atmosphere and temperatures.

Atmosphere
    Mars has an atmosphere that’s very thin compared to Earth’s. Mars’s atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide, about 3% nitrogen, and about 2% argon. Also, there are traces of other gases such as oxygen, carbon monoxide, and water vapor. Earth’s atmosphere is quite different. It’s 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, .9% argon, and .3% carbon dioxide along with traces of other gases.
    Mars has three different types of clouds: large pink clouds made up of dust, blue clouds which scientists think are made up of ice crystals, and white clouds which are thought to be made up of water vapor.

What is the typical temperature on Mars?
    The daytime SURFACE temperature is about 80 F during rare summer days, to
    -200 F at the poles in winter. The AIR temperature, however, rarely gets much above 32 F.
    The temperatures on the two Viking landers, measured at 1.5 meters above the surface, range from + 1° F, ( -17.2° C) to -178° F (-107° C). However, the temperature of the surface at the winter polar caps drop to -225° F, (-143° C) while the warmest soil occasionally reaches +81° F (27° C) as estimated from Viking Orbiter Infrared Thermal Mapper.
    In 2004, the Spirit rover recorded the warmest temperature around +5 C and the coldest is -15 Celsius in the Guisev Crater.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Thanks Double D!

So, Mar's atmosphere is 95% CO2 and its mostly very cold. That's interesting. Of course it is 50% further away from the sun than the Earth, which places it about 140 million miles from the sun (the Earth is 93 million miles) thus it receives less direct solar energy. But! Venus is further from the sun than Mercury and Venus has higher surface temps.

How laughable this seems when you look at the above numbers or the numbers on this chart:

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7a.html

CO2 is only THREE HUNDRETHS of a percent of the atmosphere! It's crazy to suggest that the small percentage of CO2 levels caused by man can affect the earth in a major fashion! Seriously will .03% or .033% cause the temperature spikes Gore predicts over the next 20 years? LAUGHABLE.

+ Reply to Thread