+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible that 9/11 may be a tad overrated?

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Re: Is it possible that 9/11 may be a tad overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    Just exactly where is Lion, anyway?
    leon, france? i'm sure huss was translating it for those who don't speak french so they wouldn't get confused.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Exactly my point, Lyon, Leon, Lion, whatever, nobody outside of France even knows it exists. Although, i am sure many foreigners know of other cities like Houston, LA, and Chicago, these cities pale in comparison to the Big Apple on a worldwide basis. New York is the main city of our country and it represents the USA in many foreigner's minds, when it got attacked, it made a much deeper wound than if another city was attacked. It is the most vital city to the US, and much like if a vital organ in your body is injured, people could see that hurt and America felt it.

Big Dog farright30 is an unknown farright30's Avatar

I'm not talking about why New York was hit. I'm only talking about how would it be handled on television if it was somewhere in the middle of no where USA.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by farright30
    I'm not talking about why New York was hit. I'm only talking about how would it be handled on television if it was somewhere in the middle of no where USA.
    And I am telling you not as much because people across the world wouldnt care as much because New York represents the US in foreigners minds. It would have never gotten the press it got if it wouldn ahve been New York. A few cities like LA or Houston would have gotten a lot of media press, but yes, New York demands more attention than any other city. Terrorists knew that and that is why it was hit, but why it was hit is the same reasoning you are using. Terrorist knew that NY would get the most press and would engrain it into everybody's minds around the world not just the US.

That was my point in the question I posted as a topic here. Glad to see that we agree that it may have been a little overrated.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i see your point, but i don't see how the difference between new york and jackson makes the event overrated.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

That was my point in the question I posted as a topic here. Glad to see that we agree that it may have been a little overrated.
    i know you were responding to huss' comment but here's my opinion anyway:

overrated would be if podunk, mississippi got bombed and the nation had the same reaction as we did to NY. if terrorists had caused this much loss of life and this much monetary damage to anywhere in th US i think it would have gotten comparable media coverage. so, i don't think it is overrated

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I think there is a difference between something being overrated and something being sensationalized. If 911 happened anywhere else and had the same loss of life, like sik said, I think the reaction would be the same. What would be different is the media sensationalization. Podunk isn't as glamorous and story friendly as NY.

So, to answer the question, no, I don't think 911 was overrated...however, I do think it may have been over-sensationalized.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

So lives of people in Mississippi are worth less than lives in New York? Would 500 dead not be as important as 3000?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

there has been quite a bit of media sensationalism about katrina hitting podunk mississippi. and with only a few hundred dead (if that many). of course many more lives were affected, but there's been quite a commotion over it and it was not even a foriegn threat. if 3000 were killed in mississippi by foreign terrorists, i would hope that we as a nation would have the same reaction.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    there has been quite a bit of media sensationalism about katrina hitting podunk mississippi. and with only a few hundred dead (if that many). of course many more lives were affected, but there's been quite a commotion over it and it was not even a foriegn threat. if 3000 were killed in mississippi by foreign terrorists, i would hope that we as a nation would have the same reaction.
    Bob,

I'd compare Katrina to Rita and see what you get. They were all ready to play Rita up when it was headed for Houston. It turns and nobody cares(in the media). Katrina was sensationalized because of New Orleans...period. The reaction should be the same, but I promise, the media coverage wouldn't be.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

I agree, Mississippi got the raw end of the Katrina hype. To take it deeper, the Lakeside area got a raw deal compared to 9th ward.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    Bob,

I'd compare Katrina to Rita and see what you get. They were all ready to play Rita up when it was headed for Houston. It turns and nobody cares(in the media). Katrina was sensationalized because of New Orleans...period. The reaction should be the same, but I promise, the media coverage wouldn't be.
    rita was not nearly as destructive. no hurricane in anyone's memory was nearly as destructive as katrina -- even if you take new orleans out of the fray. new orleans stole most of the coverage and sensationalism, but then again, that was a horrible catastophe for those trapped in the city. thing is, you would really have to be good to take out 3000 people at once anywhere in mississippi.

the horrific scene of the twin towers falling is etched into everyone's memory. it is part of the even that helped make it what it is in everyone's mind. but so is the story about the heroic passengers of the plane that crashed in rural pennsylvania. did new york have something to do with it? yes. but that's just part of what it is -- it does not make it overrated.

It was sad that people were stuck, but they were told to leave. If they stay, it's their problem.

It was sad that people were stuck, but they were told to leave. If they stay, it's their problem.
    Well, if there is anything more media friendly than the Big Apple, it is the black race suffering in the South rather it is their fault or not. The media will always make it someone else's fault.

+ Reply to Thread