+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usc vs fresno

Puppy McCownforHeisman is an unknown

usc vs fresno

interesting articles on espn

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=2226062

2. Why is USC playing Fresno State this late in the season? It's rivalry weekend, and the Trojans are playing … the Bulldogs? A team not even in the Pac-10? A team that's not only perennially good, but this-year good?

I know what you're thinking because it's what I'm thinking: USC coach Pete Carroll is willing to take on all comers. Fresno State's motto is, "Anybody, anytime, anywhere." USC got tired of Fresno State saying, "What are you, scared?"

That's not what happened -- well, maybe Carroll and everyone else at USC got tired of Fresno State calling every 15 minutes asking for a game -- but the Trojans agreed to play because, well, there wasn't anyone else.

First, you have to understand USC's nonconference scheduling philosophy: one Notre Dame, one game against a team big enough to demand a home game in return and one store-bought home game.

The Trojans had the Irish this season. They had Arkansas, with a return trip set for next September. And they had, well, until late February, no one.

In the 2001 USC media guide, the 2005 schedule listed Temple. The Owls fit the profile. They would come to Los Angeles without a return game. But Temple, perhaps coming to its senses, dropped out. And go figure, Trojans couldn't find anyone who wanted to travel across the country to play a team that has won 32 consecutive games.

They didn't know that last winter. USC had won only 23 consecutive games. But you get the point.

"We talked to probably 35 schools," USC associate athletic director Steve Lopes said. "At that point, everyone is filled."

USC had some flexibility, however, precisely because it isn't playing UCLA this week. The Trojans also had an off week Sept. 10. When ABC coaxed the Trojans and Bruins into moving their game to Dec. 3, USC acquired two more off weeks.

"Fresno had been calling Darryl [Gross, the former No. 2 at USC, now the Syracuse athletic director], and calling me," Lopes said. "We knew they had an opening, and we knew they wanted to play us."

Fresno State didn't have anyone bail out on it. In recent years, Fresno State played at Oklahoma and at Tennessee without a home game in return because Texas Tech and Oklahoma State bought themselves out of fulfilling the "and home" part of home-and-home deals.

The Bulldogs kept trying to find a game. They didn't want to add a second I-AA opponent. Once this game became a possibility, school officials asked the Western Athletic Conference and ESPN to keep Nov. 19 open for a possible USC game.

And now it's here. One of the best games on rivalry weekend will match two teams that have never played one another in the regular season.

Enjoy.

and 1 more

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=2226062

No. 16 Fresno State at No. 1 USC
    OK, this is the fourth game, but with a 10:15 p.m. ET, kickoff, the only way most of the country will see it is with a TiVo. USC will win, because the Trojans won't take Fresno State lightly. In the locker room at Berkeley last Saturday, coach Pete Carroll told his players that the Bulldogs would be the best team they've seen all season.

Coachspeak? Sure. But it seems to work. Victory No. 33 in a row coming up.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: usc vs fresno

I would absolutely LOVE it if Fresno somehow pulled off an upset with this game. That is doubtful, but if they could just give them a good game, it would help the WAC tremendously.

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

usc 48 fresno state 20...anything under 3 touchdowns would be really good. i know the usc defense is not dominant but there offense is so good. a few turnovers by the trojans and if fresno can run the ball on them to eat up clock is the only way fresno has any chance at all.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

USC's offense is so awesome that they can explode for TD's from anywhere on the field and at any time. Fresno could actually play with USC for 58 mins, but SC can score 3 TDs in the other 2 mins and pull away. (I don't necessarily mean 2 consecutive minutes)

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

FSU has the second best defense that USC has faced all year...this game could be more interesting than USC wants. I bet Fresno covers the spread.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    FSU has the second best defense that USC has faced all year...this game could be more interesting than USC wants. I bet Fresno covers the spread.
    I agree. Fresno will have to play mistake free to keep it close, but I think they will cover +24.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I wonder if Tech was one of the 35 they talked to?

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Fresno might just have enough ATTITUDE to pull it off if USC has a slow start like they have in the past. I go a USC enthusiast neighbor I want to see sucking wind. He had the audacity sp? to ask me if I wanted to go to LA and see a "big league college game with him at USC". I hope the other bulldogs take em down!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

USC was in a "down year" when Tech went there and lost during one of Tech's best years. (Tech had beaten Alabama earlier in the year).

People in my office who expected Tech to roll over out there were impressed that Rattay kept bringing them back and made it clear our Dogs hadn't been overmatched in all areas.

Fresno doesn't have to travel cross country for this one and its athletes won't be impressed with the surroundings or the USC athletes in the way an eastern team might.

I would not be surprised at Fresno beating USC and would enjoy watching it. If Cox Cable and Game Plan and my little Magnavox are working, I'll be watching!

I believe Tech's chances of beating Fresno two weeks later actually would rise if Fresno were to beat the Trojans! The stakes would be so much sweeter!

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

This game is a Fox Sports Net national telecast and is not on ESPN as the article suggests.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Would love to see Fresno win and then A&M knock off Texas. Lots of teams with only one loss. Throws the whole BCS scenario up in the air again...

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog
    Fresno might just have enough ATTITUDE to pull it off if USC has a slow start like they have in the past. I go a USC enthusiast neighbor I want to see sucking wind. He had the audacity sp? to ask me if I wanted to go to LA and see a "big league college game with him at USC". I hope the other bulldogs take em down!
    Hey WWDog - I grew up in socal and attended dozens of games before moving to Baton Rouge when I was in High School. Tell your friend that he hasn't seen big time college football unitl he goes to an SEC game. The game day atmosphere is totaly different. USC is unbelievably good and I love the pom-pom girls, but going to an Alabama or LSU game is in a whole different class. LA is a laid back place most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75
    Hey WWDog - I grew up in socal and attended dozens of games before moving to Baton Rouge when I was in High School. Tell your friend that he hasn't seen big time college football unitl he goes to an SEC game. The game day atmosphere is totaly different. USC is unbelievably good and I love the pom-pom girls, but going to an Alabama or LSU game is in a whole different class. LA is a laid back place most of the time.

This brings up a question OldDog75, other than a Tech game what rivalry game would you most want to see. Right off hand I would have to go with Auburn/Bama... Too bad I will be on the road and will not get to see it tomorrow...

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Auburn/Alabama is one of the best if not the best. Of course the upcoming SWULaLa / NEULM game is right up there.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I call this one USC 28, Fresno 17, and USC knows they were in a fight.

+ Reply to Thread