+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Ruston DWI Death

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Another Ruston DWI Death

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    If they would add that the person goes to jail if driving someone else's car AND the person that loans the car goes to jail, as well, then it might do some good.
    Ya know.... I'm pretty sure that if the courts wanted to do that, they could.... just don't have the balls to do it.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

We've been hiring a lot of folks lately. That DWI from college days doesn't look too good on a job application/resume`! I don't think people take DWI's seriously enough, but it definitely makes a statement about a young person's judgment to me. It is very sad for both families.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I think that the city of Ruston or Temple Baptist should install street lights along the service road close to Rabb's. It is so dark along there at night. It might save a life or two.

Varsity Bulldog digidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the ears digidawg87's Avatar

Rabb's in not in Ruston. That area belongs to Grambling.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1L_dawg
    I hate to hear this...I lost a very good friend as a result of one of the other deaths on that service road.

On another note, for those calling for the death penalty, consider that the kid made a huge mistake that he will have to deal with/pay for for the rest of his life. For some, this burden is harder to carry than facing the death penalty.
    The death penalty comment may have been a bit harsh, but we put murderers to death. In my opinion, there's not much difference.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters
    The death penalty comment may have been a bit harsh, but we put murderers to death. In my opinion, there's not much difference.
    yeah, the guy that hit this kid is definitely no different that Derrick Todd Lee. :rolleyes4

Have you ever made a bad decision when you were drinking (assuming you drink)? I consider myself an intelligent person, but I have done some stupid, stupid things while under the influence of alcohol.

This kid will be punished with jail time more than likely and then his conscience will forever be burdened with what he has done. IMO, justice will be sufficiently served.

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

That road is a STATE road....the Ruston City limits stops about 50 yeards east of Rabb's...and this TIGHT 2 lane service road with no lights has a 55 MPH speed limit ....a service road mind you...I'm not minimizing the human element here .... but anyone who has traveled that road SOBER at night going 55 or 60 mph.. no road shoulders either....

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by TECHAJUN
    That road is a STATE road....the Ruston City limits stops about 50 yeards east of Rabb's...and this TIGHT 2 lane service road with no lights has a 55 MPH speed limit ....a service road mind you...I'm not minimizing the human element here .... but anyone who has traveled that road SOBER at night going 55 or 60 mph.. no road shoulders either....
    And on fri and sat nights, add cars parked basically half on the road and half off...a very, very dangerous situation that is quickly turning into a graveyard.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

And on fri and sat nights, add cars parked basically half on the road and half off...a very, very dangerous situation that is quickly turning into a graveyard.
    Ruston doesn't tow them anymore??? After the last hit and run, they made parking there illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog
    Ruston doesn't tow them anymore??? After the last hit and run, they made parking there illegal.
    You might be right...it has been awhile since I was there when it was crowded.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

yeah, the guy that hit this kid is definitely no different that Derrick Todd Lee. :rolleyes4

Have you ever made a bad decision when you were drinking (assuming you drink)? I consider myself an intelligent person, but I have done some stupid, stupid things while under the influence of alcohol.

This kid will be punished with jail time more than likely and then his conscience will forever be burdened with what he has done. IMO, justice will be sufficiently served.
    I have done some stupid things as well. But I have never driven drunk or killed anyone b/c of my drinking. There is no excuse for it. Why are people acting like they feel sorry for him b/c he will be "burdened" with what he has done? What the f***? He should be. He KILLED someone b/c he was STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters
    I have done some stupid things as well. But I have never driven drunk or killed anyone b/c of my drinking. There is no excuse for it. Why are people acting like they feel sorry for him b/c he will be "burdened" with what he has done? What the f***? He should be. He KILLED someone b/c he was STUPID!
    Not making excuses for him but to say that he is the same as some serial killer and, thus, deserves the same fate is ludricous.

All I meant was that for some people the mental/emotional punishment dealt from one's conscience is worse than sitting in some jail cell or dying from lethal injection. TRUST ME me when I say this...I know people who have been in this situation and the thought of living every day of your life knowing that you killed someone can be the harshest punishment of all.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Not making excuses for him but to say that he is the same as some serial killer and, thus, deserves the same fate is ludricous.

All I meant was that for some people the mental/emotional punishment dealt from one's conscience is worse than sitting in some jail cell or dying from lethal injection. TRUST ME me when I say this...I know people who have been in this situation and the thought of living every day of your life knowing that you killed someone can be the harshest punishment of all.
    maybe this debate belongs on the political board, but here goes ...

people are eligible to receive life in prison or the death penalty if they commit first-degree murder, or killing someone with premeditation.

to me, there is no difference. i don't give a shit if you're judgment is clouded by alcohol. then don't drink the damn beer.

any time someone sits behind the wheel impaired by alcohol and chooses to drive, it is the same thing in my mind as premeditation. if they kill someone, that is first-degree murder.

hell yeah, they deserve life in prison or the death penalty. they chose to knowingly endanger someone else's life.

theprofessor

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

I am not going to get into the debate about jail sentences or whatever. Never had a DWI, but there have been times that I shouldn't have taken the wheel.

Guess what, there are tons of students in Ruston every night that probably shouldn't take the wheel either, but they do. And they will continue to do so.

What should be done:
    Ruston should zone an area near campus so bars can exist without all the old drinking laws and allow these bars to stay open late and serve alcohol. I haven't driven around lately, but I think the area where the old feed store/dawghouse used to be would be great. Students would walk rather than risk driving down a dark two lane road filled with drunks.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    I am not going to get into the debate about jail sentences or whatever. Never had a DWI, but there have been times that I shouldn't have taken the wheel.

Guess what, there are tons of students in Ruston every night that probably shouldn't take the wheel either, but they do. And they will continue to do so.

What should be done:
    Ruston should zone an area near campus so bars can exist without all the old drinking laws and allow these bars to stay open late and serve alcohol. I haven't driven around lately, but I think the area where the old feed store/dawghouse used to be would be great. Students would walk rather than risk driving down a dark two lane road filled with drunks.
    I'm with you DawgBitten.

I don't want to get into the personal judgments either, because everybody has to be accountable for what they do. I've made plenty of stupid mistakes myself. Luckily none of the stupid things I have done have led to a death, but this is a terrible tragedy for this kid's parents.

I understand the intention behind the laws in Ruston but, frankly, the antiquated laws in Ruston are what led Mr. Rabb and others to put their places on the service road to begin with. The whole thing with churches trying to buy land to kick bars out is crazy and doesn't solve the problem. They just move farther away and people still go there.

When I was in school EVERYBODY went out in Monroe because Ruston "had nothing to do". No telling how many times people drove 30 MILES home when they should have never been behind the wheel.

I agree with personal accountability, but the City of Ruston has to modernize their laws to deal with modern life.

Besides, having a "district" for bars like that would make Ruston more of a college town, and add a much needed element of safety for the students.

+ Reply to Thread