+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicknell deserves to stay

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Bicknell deserves to stay

Quote Originally Posted by theinsider
    He earned it. He and his staff. He worked his tail off and has brought in the recruits and is building the program up. He is not in charge of marketing or attendance. He is in charge of coaching football and on that front he has done the job.

I am sure I will be attacked and slandered and whatever. Who cares. I have heard all the hateful and negative trash talk from guys on here for years and realize that is all it is trash.

We all want to win every game. In life that is not reality. So realize there are factors that go into everything...budget, timing, health of players, travel problems, and simply getting young men to bring their A game that are wildly variable.
    Jack Bickenell hasn't earned a thing. One year doesn't make a coach. He's had 7 years to prove himself a winner and he hasn't. If he's not in charge of marketing or attendance, he's about the only coach in college football that isn't. I bet Les Miles would have liked to stay at home instead of travelling the US to the different alumni associations as well as would many other coaches. That is the most ignorant statement I've ever read. Heck, even high school coaches, at least those that win and have fan support, attend local meetings in their respective towns.

I agree that Bicknell has recruited very well despite the budget. However, that's the only place in which I can see where the budget might hurt. The last I checked, the budget didn't affect how a team practices or the type of decisions made in a game. You're telling me that if our budget were bigger, Bicknell would make better game decisions? If he made another $200k a year, halftime adjustments would no longer be overrated. Take that tired old budget argument crap somewhere else.

I'm sure glad that it's not reality to be able to win every game. Too bad past Florida State, Auburn, USC, etc... teams didn't know that. They sure won every game during their seasons from time to time. Maybe we need to let these teams know that winning every game is not a real option.

You are so ignorant.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Boy some of yall sure hopped on the bandwagon after 1 good win. That is all we had this year. For the games that were important and could have been competitive, we didn't even show up. I can't believe after 1 great game, beating a team that clearly had no heart, Jack is the best thing since sliced bread. I wish Jack well, but, he certainly is not the answer for TECH unless you want to sit home without a bowl game every year.

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

Champion

I think all of us agree with you. I have never thought that Jack Bicknell was the guy for the job at Tech. Not necessarily for his win lose record, but his inability to effectively sell the program to alumni and fans and ultimately build the program.

That being said, now is not the time to let Bicknell go other than his own preference. It is now up to Oaks and Bicknell. Oaks needs to offer Bicknell a new 3 year contract that is structured much differently than the current one, one that rewards success and not just being coach.

If Bicknell will not accept that, go find a new job. Not the person we want at Tech anyway.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyDawg
    Champion

I think all of us agree with you. I have never thought that Jack Bicknell was the guy for the job at Tech. Not necessarily for his win lose record, but his inability to effectively sell the program to alumni and fans and ultimately build the program.

That being said, now is not the time to let Bicknell go other than his own preference. It is now up to Oaks and Bicknell. Oaks needs to offer Bicknell a new 3 year contract that is structured much differently than the current one, one that rewards success and not just being coach.

If Bicknell will not accept that, go find a new job. Not the person we want at Tech anyway.
    Why? Why should J.O. need to offer Bicknell anything? I say tell Bicknell that a decision will be made mid year next year. That way Jack will bolt for another place with a longer contract. EVERYONE WINS!

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice

insider,

shut up! you have no credibility! Where is that jumbo tron you said was coming?

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    Champ is right...our record hasn't been terrible...it hasn't been good (except for this year and 2001)...it's been so so. It's been mediocre...isn't that what we all hate? Look at his overall record and you'll see that we aren't getting it done. I'm not sure how much worse than bick it can get, but I'm pretty sure of how good it can get with him. He does not deserve an extension and if he gets one, I'm gonna have to think real hard about buying season tickets.
    it can probably get better without bicknell, but it can get a LOT worse. i don't know enough to tell the difference between fact and fiction re: higher ed. budget crisis, etc., but even without that crisis, tech generally hires from within anyway which = conroy hines as your next coach with bick gone. i'd rather keep the continuity with bicknell. yes its frustrating to be "slightly better than average non BCS school" because we can taste it; we feel we're so close. but the wrong hire could be a disaster. ask lsu with curly hallman, usl with jerry baldwin, or our own men's basketball program with jerry loyd replacing tommy joe eagles...now these are examples of "a lot worse". these programs got run into the ground by the aforementioned coaches and recovery was slow (usl is still recovering). i would hope that even the most ardent bicknell hater can objectively admit that our program is nowhere near that level of despair. i think we have good players coming back and that we can be ok next year (depending on how qb situation unfolds) and really strong in two years. i think the future looks bright - we need to build off of fresno game and find ways to get fans at the game. the core fans we have are great - show up every week, tailgating is big, etc. we just need more of them. that is oakes big job in the offseason in my opinion. grab that casual fan and make them a regular fan!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by george
    it can probably get better without bicknell, but it can get a LOT worse.
    You know, I actually agree with that. The problem is that you HAVE to take chances. If the next guy doesn't do it, you go to the next one. You don't settle for mediocracy. I would fail at every business venture, if I did that.

Champ theinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28
    insider,

shut up! you have no credibility! Where is that jumbo tron you said was coming?
    FACT: I said I heard they were getting one and a committe was formed to raise the money do so. The AD and members of the committee have met and reviewed several proposals. I even told who was on the committee.

FACT: In addition, the three names I provided all have committed funds to the project.

Is there any part of this you don't agree with or think is somehow wrong?

Have you heard that information is false? or do you want to go on record saying we are not getting one when we sure are working on it? I never said what damn day it would arrive...

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Why? Why should J.O. need to offer Bicknell anything? I say tell Bicknell that a decision will be made mid year next year. That way Jack will bolt for another place with a longer contract. EVERYONE WINS!
    That is certainly an option. Say that we need to see more consistancy before we offer an extention. I have no problem with that at all.

I do not think that that Bicknell has done anything to demand a contract with conditions. Just saying that I think the improvement he has shown in the past few years is enough that I can not blame Tech if they offered up a new contract, as long as the contract starts next year and rewards success and not just being coach. Set it up with a low buy-out clause.

If I were the AD, Bicknell would not have been here after Rice. If I were made the AD tomorrow Bicknell would be offered the 3 year contract with rewards for success and ticket sales, if he did not take it I would have no problem telling him it was in all of our best interest if he start looking for another job.

Lastly, I don't blame Bicknell for the BCS games that don't matter. That starts above Bicknell, blame that on Oaks and Reneau.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

FACT: I said I heard they were getting one and a committe was formed to raise the money do so. The AD and members of the committee have met and reviewed several proposals. I even told who was on the committee.

FACT: In addition, the three names I provided all have committed funds to the project.

Have you heard that information is false? or do you want to go on record saying we are not getting one when we sure are working on it? I never said what damn day it would arrive...
    The quintessential politician. Bill Clinton can't hold a candle to you. Here's a fact. Jack Bicknell III will no longer be the head coach of Louisiana Tech. Mark it down. If I'm wrong, I'll take a big gulp of that Bulldog piss kool aid you've been drinking.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Bicknell should not be the coach at Tech. I posted this somewhere else, but i think it needs to be posted here as well: When he took over, Tech was a Top 25 team, we reached our only ranking in 1999, his first year, with none of his players. Now we are #62 or near that in a lot of polls, and were in the hundreds for alot of the season. With the talent we had on last years team we should have been better than 6-6, and with the schedule this year, we should have been at least 8-3. We need someone with headcoaching experience, that knows how to win, and knows how to motivate players. Bicknell had none of those coming in, and now only has head coaching experience. We need a coach who can return us to the days of Rattay, Edwards, National rankings, and respect. I think Bicknell is a great guy, but being a great guy doesnt mean youre a good coach.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    The quintessential politician. Bill Clinton can't hold a candle to you. Here's a fact. Jack Bicknell III will no longer be the head coach of Louisiana Tech. Mark it down. If I'm wrong, I'll take a big gulp of that Bulldog piss kool aid you've been drinking.
    I've got one for you. I'm being told by my inside sources that Bicknell will not always be the head coach at Louisiana Tech. I have very reliable information that says that there will come a day when Bick is not the head coach. Mind you, I'm not saying what day that is, but there will be a day. Remember where you heard it first.

Anyone who thinks that Bicknell has "earned the right" to be head coach here does not have a high opinion of the head coaching job. Probably someone in the same camp as Bicknell, who stated publicly that a losing season is all we deserve. Maybe someone who is a little too "inside" and are letting their personal feelings for the people involved cloud their perception of the big picture.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Maybe if they would try asking a few more people besides the Wyly's and Dr. Jarrell for money for a jumbotron we could actually get one before 2013.

Or we could install our field turf.

Or we could paint the TAC.

Or we could fix the lights.

Or.....well, you get the idea.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Are HD and DFIH on this committee? If not, get them on it!

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Simply JBIII earned the right to finish this contract. If he chooses to leave for a personally better situation good for him.

Without consistency which he has never generated and part of that is his fault, there are some equally bad loses to go along with his big wins.

If he had been more consistent I don't think people would be as down on him its the rollercoacter he has subjected most fans to that has worn them thin.

+ Reply to Thread