+ Reply to Thread

Thread: be prepared for slackened airline security

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

be prepared for slackened airline security

Air Marshal Kills Passenger Who Claimed to Have Bomb in Backpack; No Explosives Found

By JOHN PAIN, Associated Press Writer

MIAMI -- An agitated passenger who claimed to have a bomb in his backpack was shot and killed by a federal air marshal Wednesday after he bolted frantically from a jetliner that was boarding for takeoff, officials said. No bomb was found.
    It was the first time since the Sept. 11 attacks that an air marshal had shot at anyone, Homeland Security Department spokesman Brian Doyle said. Another federal official said there was no apparent link to terrorism.
    According to a witness, the passenger ran down the aisle of the Boeing 757, flailing his arms, while his wife tried to explain that he was mentally ill and had not taken his medication.
    The passenger, identified as Rigoberto Alpizar, indicated there was a bomb in his bag and was confronted by air marshals but ran off the aircraft, Doyle said. The marshals went after him and ordered him to get down on the ground, but he did not comply and was shot when he apparently reached into the bag, Doyle said.
    Alpizar, a 44-year-old U.S. citizen, was gunned down on a jetway outside the American Airlines plane, which was parked at a gate at Miami International Airport. Alpizar had arrived earlier in the day from Quito, Ecuador, and Flight 924 was going to Orlando, near his home in Maitland.
    Relatives said Alpizar and his wife had been on a working vacation in Peru. A neighbor who said he had been asked to watch the couple's home described the vacation as a missionary trip.
    "We're all still in shock. We're just speechless," a sister-in-law, Kelley Beuchner, said by telephone from her home in Milwaukee.
    The shooting occurred shortly after 2 p.m. as Flight 924 was about to take off for Orlando with the man and 119 other passengers and crew, American spokesman Tim Wagner said.
    After the shooting, investigators spread passengers' bags on the tarmac and let dogs sniff them for explosives, and bomb squad members blew up at least two bags.
    No bomb was found, said James E. Bauer, agent in charge of the Federal Air Marshals field office in Miami. He said there was no reason to believe there was any connection to terrorists.
    The concourse where the shooting took place was shut down for a half-hour, but the rest of the airport continued operating, officials said.
    Federal officials declined to say how many times Alpizar was shot, or reveal how many air marshals were on the plane.
    Mary Gardner, a passenger aboard the Orlando-bound flight, told WTVJ-TV in Miami that the man ran down the aisle from the rear of the plane. "He was frantic, his arms flailing in the air," she said. She said a woman followed, shouting, "My husband! My husband!"
    Gardner said she heard the woman say her husband was bipolar _ a mental illness also known as manic-depression _ and had not had his medication.
    Gardner said four to five shots were fired. She could not see the shooting.
    After the shooting, police boarded the plane and told the passengers to put their hands on their heads, Gardner said.
    "It was quite scary," she told the TV station via a cell phone. "They wouldn't let you move. They wouldn't let you get anything out of your bag."
    Alpizar's brother-in-law, Steven Beuchner, said he was a native of Costa Rica, and met Beuchner's sister, Anne, when she was an exchange student there. Relatives said the couple had been married about two decades.
    Neighbors described Alpizar as a pleasant man who worked in the paint department of a home-supply store and spent his spare time tending to the lawn of his ranch-style house. Many found it incomprehensible that he could have made a bomb threat.
    "He was a nice guy, always smiling, always talkative," Louis Gunther said. "Everybody is talking about a guy I know nothing about."
    Alex McLeod, 16, who lives three houses from the Alpizars, said: "This whole neighborhood is shocked. ... Totally uncharacteristic of the guy."
    No one answered the door Wednesday evening at the Alpizars' modest, four-bedroom house on a tree-lined street in suburban Orlando. A car was in the driveway, and television crews milled about.
    There were only 33 air marshals at the time of the Sept. 11 attacks. The Bush administration hired thousands more afterward, but the exact number is classified.
    Marshals fly undercover, and which planes they're on is a closely guarded secret. Until Wednesday, no marshal had fired a weapon, though they had been involved in scores of incidents.
    Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., who as chairman of the House aviation subcommittee was involved in the expansion of the air marshal service, called Wednesday's shooting "an unfortunate incident."
    "Everyone's on edge because we view the biggest threat as explosives, or bombs," he said

Why wasn't he on his meds? Even though I don't think the officer acted incorrectly, I'm sure there'll be a major settlement out of this and security will be lessened.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: be prepared for slackened airline security

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg

Why wasn't he on his meds? Even though I don't think the officer acted incorrectly, I'm sure there'll be a major settlement out of this and security will be lessened.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! He said he had a bomb and ran from officers when confronted...reachedinto the bag...and was then blown away! No negligence or willful misconduct on the part ofany officals.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Many persons that are mentally ill don't take their medication on a regular basis. The reasons are numerous. I can go into a list of reasons, if you would like.

Anyway, I don't know if this was mishandled or not - not enough information yet for me to form an opinion. Right now, I don't know what could have been done differently. It is tragic, though.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Yeh, it is kind of like when they tried to give that soldier a hard time for shooting a terrorist who wouldnt listen to his commands in a war zone, and the army guy couldnt tell if he had a gun or not. So, he shot him liek he should have, and all of the pusses were pissed because he shot an unarmed man. Holy crap, this idiot said he had a bomb on a plane, he deserved to get shot, end of story for me. Hate to be insensitive about it, but with what has happened over the last few years, I dont want them taking a chance.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

The right thing was done. If a man is crazy enough to run throught the aisle of an airplane SCREAMING he has a bomb, he's probably crazy enough to run up the aisle of an airplane WITH a bomb.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    Yeh, it is kind of like when they tried to give that soldier a hard time for shooting a terrorist who wouldnt listen to his commands in a war zone, and the army guy couldnt tell if he had a gun or not. So, he shot him liek he should have, and all of the pusses were pissed because he shot an unarmed man. Holy crap, this idiot said he had a bomb on a plane, he deserved to get shot, end of story for me. Hate to be insensitive about it, but with what has happened over the last few years, I dont want them taking a chance.
    that's not insensitive. the fact is that if the air marshals hadn't acted and this guy did have a bomb, he could have killed hundreds of people...there is no way they should have taken that risk. the guy's wife said that she was yelling at the marshals about her husband and him not being on his meds...well, for one: i'm sure that she was not the only person yelling, the marshal might not have even heard her...and two: if he did, how is he to know that she isn't lying. i'm sorry the guy got killed and i feel for his family but there should be no settlement here...the air marshals did as they were trained...if the guy had had a bomb they would be considered heros.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi
    that's not insensitive. the fact is that if the air marshals hadn't acted and this guy did have a bomb, he could have killed hundreds of people...there is no way they should have taken that risk. the guy's wife said that she was yelling at the marshals about her husband and him not being on his meds...well, for one: i'm sure that she was not the only person yelling, the marshal might not have even heard her...and two: if he did, how is he to know that she isn't lying. i'm sorry the guy got killed and i feel for his family but there should be no settlement here...the air marshals did as they were trained...if the guy had had a bomb they would be considered heros.
    I know, and if the man didnt take his medication, whose fault is it? Not the air marshall. It isnt his fault that the guy didnt take his medicine and was acting crazy. If you know he has the propensity to do these type of things if not medicated, then I would think you would be sure to give him his medication. The family, who is probably responsible for him taking his medicine, should shoulder this blame.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

W/out a doubt, the air marshal acted correctly. End of discussion!
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I know, and if the man didnt take his medication, whose fault is it? Not the air marshall. It isnt his fault that the guy didnt take his medicine and was acting crazy. If you know he has the propensity to do these type of things if not medicated, then I would think you would be sure to give him his medication. The family, who is probably responsible for him taking his medicine, should shoulder this blame.
    I don't think there was any other choice by the air marshall. In this world that we live in today, if someone is running and saying they have a bomb, you have to do something.

As for the guy not taking his medications, I don't know if anyone can do anything about that. People that are ill (especially BiPolar disorder) frequently stop taking their medications. Have you ever had the an infection and felt miserable? The doctor tells you to take this antibiotic for 10 days, but you stop it at 7 because you feel great. That happens with Mental Illness a lot. People feel like they are fine and don't need to take the medication.

Another reason is that a manic person sometimes feels really good. I have found that the hardest people to convince to take their medication is someone going through a manic episode and a person that is paranoid. The paranoid person is obvious. The manic person sometimes feels on top of the world. They feel that there is nothing that they can't do. They don't need sleep. They don't need food, sometimes. They are totally on top of the world, they think. They usually don't want to come down. And, yes, someone that is on medication can go through a manic episode still. Medications for mental illness are not perfect. They have to be adjusted, sometimes frequently. Once the mania starts, many then stop the medication due to the reasons above.

Anyway, I don't know the history or symptoms of this individual. It does sound like he was manic and had gone into an agitated state.

Irregardless, it is a tragedy that most likely could not be avoided. It is not the family's fault, though. I am sure that they were trying to get him to take his medication. That is a guess, but I bet it is correct.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I don't think there was any other choice by the air marshall. In this world that we live in today, if someone is running and saying they have a bomb, you have to do something.

As for the guy not taking his medications, I don't know if anyone can do anything about that. People that are ill (especially BiPolar disorder) frequently stop taking their medications. Have you ever had the an infection and felt miserable? The doctor tells you to take this antibiotic for 10 days, but you stop it at 7 because you feel great. That happens with Mental Illness a lot. People feel like they are fine and don't need to take the medication.

Another reason is that a manic person sometimes feels really good. I have found that the hardest people to convince to take their medication is someone going through a manic episode and a person that is paranoid. The paranoid person is obvious. The manic person sometimes feels on top of the world. They feel that there is nothing that they can't do. They don't need sleep. They don't need food, sometimes. They are totally on top of the world, they think. They usually don't want to come down. And, yes, someone that is on medication can go through a manic episode still. Medications for mental illness are not perfect. They have to be adjusted, sometimes frequently. Once the mania starts, many then stop the medication due to the reasons above.

Anyway, I don't know the history or symptoms of this individual. It does sound like he was manic and had gone into an agitated state.

Irregardless, it is a tragedy that most likely could not be avoided. It is not the family's fault, though. I am sure that they were trying to get him to take his medication. That is a guess, but I bet it is correct.
    Champ, I understand exactly what you are saying. I think I'm going through that right now with someone who is close to me. Except this person doesn't want to take meds that are of help because it might show a weakness and this person wants to feel that they are in control, but when they don't take their meds I can see on some days that they haven't taken their meds and can predict the self destructive behavior coming on.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

i don't think that any blame needs to be placed...the responsible party was, unfortunately, shot in the terminal.

Champ, I understand exactly what you are saying. I think I'm going through that right now with someone who is close to me. Except this person doesn't want to take meds that are of help because it might show a weakness and this person wants to feel that they are in control, but when they don't take their meds I can see on some days that they haven't taken their meds and can predict the self destructive behavior coming on.
    Dirty,
    Email me when you get a chance. I might could recommend some things. I will be in Ruston this weekend and not have email available, but could reply early next week. It is definitely a difficult situation when this happens.

+ Reply to Thread