+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Interesting study results ... I like their suggested viewing plan:

"If viewers spent an equal amount of time watching Fox's 'Special Report' as ABC's 'World News' and NBC's 'Nightly News,' then they would receive a nearly perfectly balanced version of the news," said Milyo, an associate professor of economics and public affairs at the University of Missouri at Columbia.

The methods seem a little odd to me. Still .. interesting results.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Re: Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Very good study. I read the Wall Street Journal for indepth studies that don't appear on the Associated Press wire or other mainstream sources. I wouldn't call it liberal bias so much as complete reporting. I have been surprised and pleased at the effort put into investigating and reporting on things that might offend an advertiser or a loyal reader whose interest is the market news, etc. They cover scandals in business and such. They offer both sides of so many issues that seem to intimidate other media.

Over the decade before the Democrat's owners bought the Gazette, I worked for the two Little Rock papers that became the Arkansas Democrat Gazette I am familiar with the phenomenon of reporters and editorial writers being on different pages.

The Democrat, owned by a very conservative man who made sure his editorials were always to the right, had a lot of young reporters who were underpaid but idealistic.

The Gazette, owned historically by a liberal family and with a mostly liberal collection of editorial writers, had a staff of reporters who were paid better and had worked there for years. They were relatively conservative.

Bias was not supposed to appear in the news pages of either, but any that did seemed often to be opposite to that of the editorial pages.

To be fair, papers often over reach to find and quote sources opposing the opinion of the reporters, news editors and editorial writers. Balance requires making sure you consider opinions that seem wrong or absurd but deserve fair treatment because people hold those opinions.
    Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    I wouldn't call it liberal bias so much as complete reporting.
    Hehe. That sentence is pretty funny when read alone.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

It has to do with trying to understand both sides of a story.

The term "bleeding-heart liberal" owes its origin in part to the tendency of so-called liberals to try to gather facts and analyze all sides of an issue. Legitimate journalists are forbidden to rely on only one source and that means presenting more information than a reader with a preformed opinion (prejudice) may want to read.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    .......................The Democrat, owned by a very conservative man who made sure his editorials were always to the right, had a lot of young reporters who were underpaid but idealistic. .............................

......................The Gazette, owned historically by a liberal family and with a mostly liberal collection of editorial writers, had a staff of reporters who were paid better and had worked there for years. They were relatively conservative ....................................
    Aub... The impression you give is that "young, underpaid reporters are idealistic and therefore "liberal", while better paid, older reporters are "conservative", also implying that they are NOT idealistic!!!

Very clever SLANTING!!!!!!!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

THE GREAT DIVIDE: REPORTERS GIVE DEMS MONEY OVER REPUBLICANS 9 TO 1...

MSNBC.com identified 144 journalists who made political contributions from 2004 through the start of the 2008 campaign, according to the public records of the Federal Election Commission. Most of the newsroom checkbooks leaned to the left: 125 journalists gave to Democrats and liberal causes. Only 17 gave to Republicans. Two gave to both parties.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post

MSNBC.com identified 144 journalists who made political contributions from 2004 through the start of the 2008 campaign, according to the public records of the Federal Election Commission. Most of the newsroom checkbooks leaned to the left: 125 journalists gave to Democrats and liberal causes. Only 17 gave to Republicans. Two gave to both parties.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485
    That's the only fact that matters, in this matter. 9 to 1....read it and weep. Or, better yet, read it and shut up. The "drive-by" media, as Rush calls 'em, is left-leaning. Period.

Of course, not that it really matters, not when you consider how it may affect elections. But it does matter how it may affect the general public's view of key issues.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    It has to do with trying to understand both sides of a story.

The term "bleeding-heart liberal" owes its origin in part to the tendency of so-called liberals to try to gather facts and analyze all sides of an issue. Legitimate journalists are forbidden to rely on only one source and that means presenting more information than a reader with a preformed opinion (prejudice) may want to read.
    HUH???????

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    HUH???????
    HUH......
    Is the PERFECT conservative reply!

No need to read Aub's missive again.

If you had any hope of undersanding his post......
    You would be something akin to a bleeding heart liberal.

Better for you to pretend to reign and recriminate narrowly in some conservative hell......
    Than attempt to serve in any bleeding heart heaven.

WHEN EVERY THOUGHT COUNTS ONE......
    The math is never complicated.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    HUH......

Cheers.
    And this math is pathetic. It shows how far to the liberal left today's reporters have sunk/sold themselves.

Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

HUH......
    Is the PERFECT conservative reply!

No need to read Aub's missive again.

If you had any hope of undersanding his post......
    You would be something akin to a bleeding heart liberal.

Better for you to pretend to reign and recriminate narrowly in some conservative hell......
    Than attempt to serve in any bleeding heart heaven.

Cheers.

Wrong. You assume too much my drunk friend.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Wrong. You assume too much my drunk friend.
    Wrong......
    or possibly right,

Drunk......
    Or sober (that'll be the day),

I do appreciate the appellation ''friend"!

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wrong......
    or possibly right,

Drunk......
    Or sober (that'll be the day),

I do appreciate the appellation ''friend"!

Cheers.
    You're a good man Spinoza. (I don't believe any of the stuff Guisslapp says about you :icon_wink: )

The Clintons don't like it when it happens to them.
    LINK
    DEMOCRAT MEDIA GURU 'OUTRAGED' OVER OBAMA MEDIA BIAS...

+ Reply to Thread