+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    HUH......
    Is the PERFECT conservative reply!

No need to read Aub's missive again.

If you had any hope of undersanding his post......
    You would be something akin to a bleeding heart liberal.

Better for you to pretend to reign and recriminate narrowly in some conservative hell......
    Than attempt to serve in any bleeding heart heaven.

WHEN EVERY THOUGHT COUNTS ONE......
    The math is never complicated.

Cheers.
    I say huh because I dont believe that is where the term comes from, it makes no sense. I always thought "bleeding heart liberal" came from the fact that many liberal's hearts bleeds for those that cannot fend for themselves. Like our buddy Champ110, he would meet this description. It is not a bad thing, although many have turned it into an anti-American, flag-burning, commie label.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Is media playing fair in campaign coverage?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/...v_obama_s_trip

LINK
    NYT REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; SHOULD 'MIRROR' OBAMA
    Mon Jul 21 2008 12:00:25 ET

An editorial written by Republican presidential hopeful McCain has been rejected by the NEW YORK TIMES -- less than a week after the paper published an essay written by Obama, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The paper's decision to refuse McCain's direct rebuttal to Obama's
    'My Plan for Iraq' has ignited explosive charges of media bias

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    LINK

An editorial written by Republican presidential hopeful McCain has been rejected by the NEW YORK TIMES -- less than a week after the paper published an essay written by Obama, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The paper's decision to refuse McCain's direct rebuttal to Obama's 'My Plan for Iraq' has ignited explosive charges of media bias
    If true I wonder why McCain hasn't spoken up at all about this. Maybe he will in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    If true I wonder why McCain hasn't spoken up at all about this. Maybe he will in the next few days.
    He's addressing it live as we type.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player...News&180&&&new

This is going to blow up I think.
    • N.Y. Times Muzzles McCain

Opinion piece by presumptive GOP nominee is rejected by paper's op-ed editor — a former Clinton aide — who tells McCain to write article that 'mirrors Senator Obama's piece'

Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 07-21-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    Very good study. I read the Wall Street Journal for indepth studies that don't appear on the Associated Press wire or other mainstream sources. I wouldn't call it liberal bias so much as complete reporting. I have been surprised and pleased at the effort put into investigating and reporting on things that might offend an advertiser or a loyal reader whose interest is the market news, etc. They cover scandals in business and such. They offer both sides of so many issues that seem to intimidate other media.

Over the decade before the Democrat's owners bought the Gazette, I worked for the two Little Rock papers that became the Arkansas Democrat Gazette I am familiar with the phenomenon of reporters and editorial writers being on different pages.

The Democrat, owned by a very conservative man who made sure his editorials were always to the right, had a lot of young reporters who were underpaid but idealistic.

The Gazette, owned historically by a liberal family and with a mostly liberal collection of editorial writers, had a staff of reporters who were paid better and had worked there for years. They were relatively conservative.

Bias was not supposed to appear in the news pages of either, but any that did seemed often to be opposite to that of the editorial pages.

To be fair, papers often over reach to find and quote sources opposing the opinion of the reporters, news editors and editorial writers. Balance requires making sure you consider opinions that seem wrong or absurd but deserve fair treatment because people hold those opinions.
    Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    I used to buy the Gazette but when they endorsed Mondale for President in 1984 over Ronald Reagan, I never bought another one. That converted me to the Democrat which I still read today.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

He's addressing it live as we type.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player...News&180&&&new

This is going to blow up I think.
    • N.Y. Times Muzzles McCain

Opinion piece by presumptive GOP nominee is rejected by paper's op-ed editor — a former Clinton aide — who tells McCain to write article that 'mirrors Senator Obama's piece'

I hope it does blow up. It needs to.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

I haven't paid much attention, but you should at least note the NYT editor's justification. Specifically, the editor says that Obama sent in his "editorial" and had it published before releasing some of the content in a speech. So the editorial basically represented some small segment of "you heard it here first..." Now, McCain's response was, according to the NYT, basically a restatement of long-known McCain views. In other words, it wasn't "newsworthy" by NYT standards.

Again, I'm not really interested -- both candidates suck, and neither really deserve any media hooplah -- but I do think that is funny.

LINK

The paper's decision to refuse McCain's direct rebuttal to Obama's
    'My Plan for Iraq' has ignited explosive charges of media bias

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    I haven't paid much attention, but you should at least note the NYT editor's justification. Specifically, the editor says that Obama sent in his "editorial" and had it published before releasing some of the content in a speech. So the editorial basically represented some small segment of "you heard it here first..." Now, McCain's response was, according to the NYT, basically a restatement of long-known McCain views. In other words, it wasn't "newsworthy" by NYT standards.

Again, I'm not really interested -- both candidates suck, and neither really deserve any media hooplah -- but I do think that is funny.
    Is an editorial really a news item? Or is it more of an opinion piece?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARKDAWG02 View Post
    I used to buy the Gazette but when they endorsed Mondale for President in 1984 over Ronald Reagan, I never bought another one. That converted me to the Democrat which I still read today.
    Well, in that case you read both, right?:icon_wink:

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

And that still probably didnt stop him from breaking protocol and bashing Obama to that one reporter, despite Obama being overseas. I guess professional courtesy and following long-held traditions is not included in running a "clean" campaign.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    And that still probably didnt stop him from breaking protocol and bashing Obama to that one reporter, despite Obama being overseas. I guess professional courtesy and following long-held traditions is not included in running a "clean" campaign.
    Well, did he? As his "meeting" with that one reporter is now history, did McCain bash obama?

+ Reply to Thread