+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $200 BILLION FOR HIGHER EDUCATION

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

$200 BILLION FOR HIGHER EDUCATION

BREAKING NEWS

The $29 Billion hurricane relief Bill that passed through Congress last night has $200 Million earmarked for higher education, specifically for what appears a lot of the costs of universities taking on displaced students.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/w....25e3f7f4.html

This appears to be very good news for Tech and should at least offset the budget cuts we had to endure from our imbesol governor...

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: $200 BILLION FOR HIGHER EDUCATION

I think the powers that be were already EXPECTING this money -

The BUDGET cuts - which I think are already at 10% are in response to adjust the current fiscal status since the state runs on a (Jul1 to Jun 30th fiscal year, I think) to account for LOST revenue from sales tax and sit due to the Hurricanes from basically Sep 1, 2005 to Jun 30, 2006-

Cutting funding was probably about the ONLY fiscally responsible thing she did prior, during or after the hurricanes -

The book is still out on whether it was enough or too much-

Remember 85% of the tax payers in the state reside SOUTH of I-10....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ kdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    I think the powers that be were already EXPECTING this money -

The BUDGET cuts - which I think are already at 10% are in response to adjust the current fiscal status since the state runs on a (Jul1 to Jun 30th fiscal year, I think) to account for LOST revenue from sales tax and sit due to the Hurricanes from basically Sep 1, 2005 to Jun 30, 2006-

Cutting funding was probably about the ONLY fiscally responsible thing she did prior, during or after the hurricanes -

The book is still out on whether it was enough or too much-

And for every $5.00 we North Louisiana people pay in taxes we only get to see $1.00 of it. I wish we had our on state. From Alex up would be called North Louisiana and TECH our flagship school.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

And my theory of the flite and out migration from South LA - is basically good riddance - I think the people that will rebuild and re-establish their businesses are already in Lafayette and Baton Rouge and other places through out the state -

The state may have lost a few good families who pulled up stake and left, but for the most part we just shifted our "unwanteds" to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio etc -

Last months sales tax figures didn't show the DECREASE everyone was expecting - actually it was up over 2004 - it will be interesting what November figues show - will the Hurricane spending continue and if it does and December shows a slight increase over 2004 - things may level out and not be as bad as first expected -
    Last edited by Dwayne From Minden; 12-19-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniel72
    And for every $5.00 we North Louisiana people pay in taxes we only get to see $1.00 of it. I wish we had our on state. From Alex up would be called North Louisiana and TECH our flagship school.
    Based on % we are actually coming out OK - we should actually be getting about .15 cents on the dollar instead of the .20 we are getting -

The Demographics of the state have probably changed forever - the question is WHAT are they now?

If its what I think they are - 20 years from now we may be better than we have ever been -

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Don't hold your breath about the Bush-Clinton money. Various important people around campus are highly doubtful that Tech sees any of it.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

The subject line really got my attention. $200 million is good, but $200 billion would really go a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    Don't hold your breath about the Bush-Clinton money. Various important people around campus are highly doubtful that Tech sees any of it.
    This ain't Bush/Clinton money - the article is talking about the financial aid package that Congress has put together to rebuild the Gulf Coast after the Hurricanes -

My question is WHY are we counting on any of this money? - we were not DIRECTLY effected by the storms - NO PHYSICAL DAMAGE - we didn't have a triage area or temporary morge in the basement of the TAC, etc etc etc

Yes UNO, Nicholls, SLU, ULL and even LSU were DIRECTLY effected by the storm - we opened our campus to SELECT evacuees - the right thing to do, and I hope TECH recoups the cost of this - but should they be EXPECTING to recoup it plus some?

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

How much does the State fund relating to Tech's annual operating budget? What is the total for all non LSU schools? If we got 1% of the $200 million we would be in the black.

If my memory is right (probably not), I thought that the State funded over 50%-70% back in the 70's and now its less that 30%.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

First thing is this just for Louisiana, probably not, it'll most likely be split among Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi. The bulk will go to Louisiana and Mississippi but that just means more hands in that $200 million dollar pot. Hopefully Tech will get a couple of million at best.

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden

If its what I think they are - 20 years from now we may be better than we have ever been -
    I think you are dead on with that statement.

RD
    We're gonna miss you dawgpound!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I was told at one point that Tech planned (hoped) to recover some of the expenses through FEMA. FEMA has reimbursed some for expenses incurred from housing evacuees. Hopefully Tech will get money from FEMA and the $200 billion.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Although this isn't even close to same pricetag, FEMA paid me double and a half time for coming in on my days off to process fingerprints of the prisoners that were being transferred to the jails around North LA.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Doc, do you need an assistant?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

hehe, can you sit at a computer all day everyday?? With no Internet?? No Barks and Bytes??

+ Reply to Thread