+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Tech home game/bowl attendance

Puppy LSUray has turned a few heads around hereLSUray has turned a few heads around hereLSUray has turned a few heads around hereLSUray has turned a few heads around hereLSUray has turned a few heads around here

Question re: Tech home game/bowl attendance

I have read various threads on this board re: how having Tech in the Indy Bowl would mean 45,000 people in blue in the seats. My question is where do all of those other Tech fans come from? Many of you on this board talk about the poor home attendance in Ruston and from my recollection the last couple of Tech games in Shreveport have had poor attendance. Please don't take this as a flame, I was just wondering why so many people believe that more would come out for the Indy Bowl?

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Re: Question re: Tech home game/bowl attendance

The last game in Shreveport drew horribly against a terrible UTEP team with our team going no where and on a miserable day. All of our other games in Shreveport have been good crowds 35k or so.

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

1990 Louisiana Tech vs Maryland in Independence Bowl
    Attendence 48,325

Given a Chance in a Local Bowl game and we will deliver.

You can assume any game Tech plays in Independence Stadium against a Good School (BCS) will draw 30,000 - 35,000

You add about 10,000-15,000 for Local Shreveport fans that attend the I-Bowl each year. (LSU fans, Businesses, individuals that now nothing about Football but like the event)

If the other teams brings anybody and your 45,000 +.

The only team that can consistantly deliver a better crowd for the I-bowl is LSU. Arkansas and Texas A&M will if they are on their way up, but not if they are on their way down.

Biggest Reason of All

We have someone other than our Athletic Office Promoting, Advertising and Selling tickets that can not depend on cutting other programs to balance the budget.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Pure hope, LSURay, pure hope. These boards are the home of the true believers.

I think part of the expectation stems from the fact that we are in such a bowl drought, and finally getting a bowl AND having it in N. La. would produce greater turnout, much like our appearance in 1990 (over 48k). The other thing about our low attendance is that this was the first season in several years that we have broken .500. Plus, if we had landed the I-Bowl after our stellar performance against Fresno, that might have pulled in a lot of other fairweather fans and general football-watchers. Us vs. Spurrier would really have appealed to the latter group, I think.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

"In 1990, Louisiana Tech ran up against the University of Maryland to put on an offensive explosion in the first Poulan/Weed Eater Independence Bowl. A [then] record breaking crowd of 48,325 filled Independence Stadium."

Bowl game + TV + good opponent = middlin fans come out of the woodwork and make the game. No reason to think history wouldn't repeat itself.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LSUray
    I have read various threads on this board re: how having Tech in the Indy Bowl would mean 45,000 people in blue in the seats. My question is where do all of those other Tech fans come from? Many of you on this board talk about the poor home attendance in Ruston and from my recollection the last couple of Tech games in Shreveport have had poor attendance. Please don't take this as a flame, I was just wondering why so many people believe that more would come out for the Indy Bowl?
    Another strange thing about our school Ray is we travel fairly well. Ask Tulane, SMU , Rice and Tulsa. I think we traveled more to Tiger stadium than the other in-state schools you have faced. I think we have a very small base of fans. BUT that small base of fans tend to be pretty hardcore. When SMU , Rice and Tulsa were still in the WAC it would be nothing to travel 7-8K sometimes much more. I think bowls tend to look at our home attendance and disregard this. So we have poor home attendance but our traveling group is as good or better than many CUSA schools who snub our attendance.

No doubt we need to improve in that area though.

But we did put just under 50k in the indy bowl in my Fresh. year and we could do it again. Most of that stadium was Tech fans that night. Maryland might have brought 1000(probably less) at the most.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

I was looking for attendance numbers from 1990. Does anyone know what our average home game attendance was? Anyway, there are way to many Shreveporters that graduated from TECH not to have a sale out. Yes, most of these people are lsu bandwagoners but all the ones I know would jump on the TECH bandwagon also. Unfortunatly half of them would wear there lsu hat. BUT the other half of them would buy a NEW TECH hat. I would bet that a TECH I-Bowl would sale more tickets than this one. We did have over 43K for the miami game in 2003....and we knew we were going to lose that one.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The simple facts are:
    Tech fans travel VERY well.
    Tech has a history of putting 48k+ in the Indy Bowl.
    Bowl games are a different animal that regular season games and that brings out more fans.
    Advertising and marketing is BIG for bowl games and gets our lazy fans to the stadium.
    Usually, the other team brings more people to a bowl game than they do for a Tech home game.

I think that about sums it up.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Another reason we travel well to Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, NOLA, and Tuscoloosa is because we have alumni in those areas. Houston has over 3000 TECH grads...D/FW and NOLA have more than 2000...and Tuscoloosa and environs (i.e., Birmingham) have about 1000. Couple that with the fact that the core of TECH's alumni (i.e., I-20 between Shreveport and Monroe) are less than 5 hours away...you end up with 5000 to 8000 TECH fans.
    Last edited by maddawg; 12-27-2005 at 04:19 PM.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    "In 1990, Louisiana Tech ran up against the University of Maryland to put on an offensive explosion in the first Poulan/Weed Eater Independence Bowl. A [then] record breaking crowd of 48,325 filled Independence Stadium."

Bowl game + TV + good opponent = middlin fans come out of the woodwork and make the game. No reason to think history wouldn't repeat itself.
    Thay left out the part about the deluge of boy scouts/cub scouts in attendance.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Tech in the Indy bowl means that Tech is having a good year...thus, the bandwaggoning Shreveporters come out and watch Tech (at least more of them come to see Tech than Mizzou). I think that's enough to get us to 30,000...add in alumns from Dallas/Ft. Worth and area alumn who would come simply because it's a bowl game and we're in it.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN
    I was looking for attendance numbers from 1990. Does anyone know what our average home game attendance was?
    Tech averaged 17,086 in announced home attendance during 1990.

Sept 22--Arkansas State, 18,325
    Sept 29--Southwestern Louisiana, 19,680
    Oct 27--Stephen F. Austin (HC), 17,600
    Nov 10--Akron, 14,600
    Nov 17--Colorado State, 15,225

For those interested, Tech's 31-7 win over NLU in Monroe that year on November 3 (5-3 Tech vs 5-3 NLU) drew 21,752.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    Tech averaged 17,086 in announced home attendance during 1990.

Sept 22--Arkansas State, 18,325
    Sept 29--Southwestern Louisiana, 19,680
    Oct 27--Stephen F. Austin (HC), 17,600
    Nov 10--Akron, 14,600
    Nov 17--Colorado State, 15,225

For those interested, Tech's 31-7 win over NLU in Monroe that year on November 3 (5-3 Tech vs 5-3 NLU) drew 21,752.
    Thanks for the numbers. Where did you find them? I made a quick attempt to find them, but had no luck.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96
    Thanks for the numbers. Where did you find them? I made a quick attempt to find them, but had no luck.
    I had a copy of the 1990 Independence Bowl Press Kit distributed by Tech Sports Information. I doubt I could have found the individual game figures online anywhere.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    Another strange thing about our school Ray is we travel fairly well.
    Well we have a few good chances with next years schedule... Texas A&M, Clemson, and North Texas. I've already put in my request at work to be off on at least 2 of those games... Clemson is a reach. My bosses response: "What makes you think that I'm keeping your ass around until then?" And she came in laughing her ass off today when I was frowning at her, sad that 4 days later she knew exactly what I was so sad about.

+ Reply to Thread