+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: "Why Texas will win"

  1. #1
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    24,985

    "Why Texas will win"

    Mandel makes some valid points...

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...xas/index.html
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

  2. #2
    Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shreveport, La
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    I hate lsu so bad, I'll be sporting a usc shirt tonight for the game. I love usc for stealing some of lsu's glory two years ago. It still eats at the lsu fans.

  3. #3
    Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    6,199

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    I expect USC will cover the spread.

    Put Bush in motion out of the backfield and you create a mismatch somewhere. I expect to see Bush and White in the same backfield alot. And if I'm USC I force Young to throw the ball to beat me. And I like Carroll over Brown, especially with this much time to prepare.

  4. #4
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    24,985

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    I expect USC will cover the spread.

    Put Bush in motion out of the backfield and you create a mismatch somewhere. I expect to see Bush and White in the same backfield alot. And if I'm USC I force Young to throw the ball to beat me. And I like Carroll over Brown, especially with this much time to prepare.
    The only problem is, USC's defense has rarely been able to impose their will on anyone. Some of the experts are saying that UT will shut down the run...I think it's possible. I'm pumped about this game. I pick Texas to win, but I'm not sure. It'll be fun to watch.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

  5. #5
    2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    14,477

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    I expect USC will cover the spread.

    Put Bush in motion out of the backfield and you create a mismatch somewhere. I expect to see Bush and White in the same backfield alot. And if I'm USC I force Young to throw the ball to beat me. And I like Carroll over Brown, especially with this much time to prepare.
    I'm with you, USC will beat the Horns by at least two touchdowns. In tonight's game, everybody will understand just how much better Carroll is than Brown, it's not even close.

  6. #6
    Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    6,135

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    don't give pete carroll this much time to gameplan. it's just not fair.

    we'll see at least 2 jawdropping plays from reggie bush.

    lendale white will rush for 125 yards and three touchdowns.

    leinart will throw for 2 scores and no picks.

    vince young will make a couple of plays -- and a couple of bone-headed mistakes.

    usc 38-21



    theprofessor

  7. #7
    Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    10,120

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    I don't get how everyone thinks Reggie Bush will run wild again. The simple fact is Texas has more defensive speed than anyone USC has played. I am not saying Bush won't get decent yardage but everyone is already assuming he will get 500 yards.

    I didn't read the article but I just think it is stupid people are not giving attention to Texas offense which is very very young. I expect Jamaal Charles and Ramonce Taylor to break loose and open up the passing game for Vince Young because USC doesn't have a great defense.

  8. #8
    Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    10,120

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    I don't get how everyone thinks Reggie Bush will run wild again. The simple fact is Texas has more defensive speed than anyone USC has played. I am not saying Bush won't get decent yardage but everyone is already assuming he will get 500 yards.

    I didn't read the article but I just think it is stupid people are not giving attention to Texas offense which is very very young. I expect Jamaal Charles and Ramonce Taylor to break loose and open up the passing game for Vince Young because USC doesn't have a great defense.
    LenDale White and Dwayne Jarrett put this team on their back and it wasn't enough. Bush just isn't as good as the hype says now that he actually plays a tough defense.

  9. #9
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    24,985

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    LenDale White and Dwayne Jarrett put this team on their back and it wasn't enough. Bush just isn't as good as the hype says now that he actually plays a tough defense.
    I think UT game-planned for Bush and, relatively, shut him down. White was pounding all night...it was amazing. I didn't think there was anyway Texas would win...let's not forget, they had what, one stop in all of the second half. Vince Young was the difference maker. He and the tight end were amazing. This was the best NC I've watched in a long long time.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

  10. #10
    Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    6,135

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    in the end, it was simply too much vince young. pete carroll didn't put enough pressure on him, and young killed the trojans.

    reggie made a stupid, stupid play and was never the same. but the trojans still managed to use their weapons. lendale white was amazing, as i predicted. leinart, who struggled at the end of the first half, was on fire in the second half. and dwayne jarrett made big catch after big catch.

    it came down to 4th and 2, and white couldn't move the sticks. if he hadn't fumbled on the previous play, it would have been 4th and inches and they get the 1st down. but texas made a play, and then young put the team on his back.

    i give texas all the credit in the world. both teams made mistakes and plays. in the beginning, i felt usc would run away with the game. however, due to some mistakes and timely texas defense, the 'horns led at the half. then usc turned it on in the second half, and young continued to answer. he was just too much.

    congratulations to the 'horns. mack brown finally won a big game, and pete carroll was outcoached. i think if these 2 teams played 10 times, they'd split 5-5. both of them belong in the top 5 of all-time teams. what a great, great game.

    it will be interesting to see what happens now. texas loses some big boys on the line, but they were so young at the skill positions. vince already said he'd be back. what about usc? leinart is done after a great career. is bush gone? lendale white? darnell bing? usc's receivers return to help booty or sanchez, but will one of the backs return to help out? the next two weeks should be very interesting.



    theprofessor

  11. #11
    Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    10,120

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    in the end, it was simply too much vince young. pete carroll didn't put enough pressure on him, and young killed the trojans.

    reggie made a stupid, stupid play and was never the same. but the trojans still managed to use their weapons. lendale white was amazing, as i predicted. leinart, who struggled at the end of the first half, was on fire in the second half. and dwayne jarrett made big catch after big catch.

    it came down to 4th and 2, and white couldn't move the sticks. if he hadn't fumbled on the previous play, it would have been 4th and inches and they get the 1st down. but texas made a play, and then young put the team on his back.

    i give texas all the credit in the world. both teams made mistakes and plays. in the beginning, i felt usc would run away with the game. however, due to some mistakes and timely texas defense, the 'horns led at the half. then usc turned it on in the second half, and young continued to answer. he was just too much.

    congratulations to the 'horns. mack brown finally won a big game, and pete carroll was outcoached. i think if these 2 teams played 10 times, they'd split 5-5. both of them belong in the top 5 of all-time teams. what a great, great game.

    it will be interesting to see what happens now. texas loses some big boys on the line, but they were so young at the skill positions. vince already said he'd be back. what about usc? leinart is done after a great career. is bush gone? lendale white? darnell bing? usc's receivers return to help booty or sanchez, but will one of the backs return to help out? the next two weeks should be very interesting.



    theprofessor
    Will Young be back? He has said he will but players do that all the time. I think Houston will court him and that will be a perfect fit. Lets not forget that is his hometown. There is no question what everyone was expecting from Bush and Leinart were off but Texas had a better defense than most thought. However I still thik LenDale White is the BETTER back in USC and I have been telling people all year if he comes back he might work his way to the top runningback next year.

  12. #12
    Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    6,135

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    Will Young be back? He has said he will but players do that all the time. I think Houston will court him and that will be a perfect fit. Lets not forget that is his hometown. There is no question what everyone was expecting from Bush and Leinart were off but Texas had a better defense than most thought. However I still thik LenDale White is the BETTER back in USC and I have been telling people all year if he comes back he might work his way to the top runningback next year.
    i think if young and white both come back next year, and that's a big if right now, they should be co-favorites for the heisman.

    white can supplant himself as one of the best running backs in the history of college football -- and get out of reggie's shadow. i hope he takes advantage of that.

    young has said he'll be back, but now he's saying he'll sit down and think about it. honestly, i don't see how he can come back. i said the same thing last year about leinart, too.



    theprofessor

  13. #13
    Champ TechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to beholdTechDawgMc is a splendid one to behold
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Temple, TX
    Posts
    1,818

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    I think Young would be nuts to come back -- right now there's huge money awaiting him in the NFL.

    OTOH, even as much as I hate Texas, I'd like to see him come back. You don't get to see players that unique all that often. His talent is special, and it won't be the same in the NFL -- he'll have to quit running or spend all of his time on the injury list (ala Vick).

  14. #14
    Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    6,199

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Congrats to TX. Young was incredible, obviously the best player on the field. He should definitely turn pro.

    USC got outcoached. Used white too little and played too pasive on defense.

  15. #15
    2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    14,477

    Re: "Why Texas will win"

    Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    Congrats to TX. Young was incredible, obviously the best player on the field. He should definitely turn pro.

    USC got outcoached. Used white too little and played too pasive on defense.
    How about burning your last timeout for a two point conversion? They could've probably got themselves in position for a tying field goal. BTW, they also had horrible clock management at the end of the first half--I'm talking junior high!

    Hats off to Texas! They caught the breaks and they won it at the end. All of us know how it felt for USC to try and defend Young. There have been many games where I felt like the opposing qb could run for a first down any time he wanted.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts