+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol sales soon to be a thing of the past in Fresno

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol sales soon to be a thing of the past in Fresno

When existing contracts for alcohol sales at Bulldog Stadium and the Save-Mart Center expire, they cannot be renewed.

CSU Prohibits Alcoholic Beverages at Campus Athletic Events

Contact: Clara Potes-Fellow, 562) 951-4800, cpotes-fellow@calstate.edu
    Or Evelyn Duarte, (562) 951-4800, eduarte@calstate.edu

(January 12, 2006) -- To strengthen current policy that promotes the legal and responsible use of alcohol, the California State University system has issued a new order that prohibits all 23 CSU campuses from engaging in any sale of alcoholic beverages at any intercollegiate athletic events held in university owned or operated facilities. This policy will also limit alcohol advertising of beer and wine at all campuses.

This policy became effective Dec. 23, 2005, throughout the California State University system.

"The CSU believes that service of alcoholic beverages at intercollegiate athletic events in university owned or operated facilities is contrary to its systemwide alcohol policy and to its purpose of promoting a safe and healthy learning environment for all members of the university community," said CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed.

With the new policy, all sales of alcoholic beverages at intercollegiate athletic events held in university owned or operated facilities are prohibited. Several CSU campuses currently have contractual agreements that include the sale of alcoholic beverages, and those existing contracts may not be renewed.

Until these existing contracts expire, the sale of any alcoholic beverages at intercollegiate athletic events held within university owned or operated facilities must comply with the following guidelines:
    • Sale of alcoholic beverages must be conducted in accord with all the local and state laws under the auspices of Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC).
    • Policies must be established on each campus that ensure appropriate training for servers of alcoholic beverages, place limitations on the number of alcohol beverages than can be purchased at the point of sale, and adopt cessation of sales prior to the end of the event (i.e., at the end of half-time at football and basketball games, etc.).
    • Promotion of alcoholic beverages should not encourage any form of alcohol abuse or place emphasis on quantity and frequency of use.
    "I believe this policy is the logical and appropriate next step for the CSU to take," said John D. Welty, president of California State University, Fresno and chair of the CSU Alcohol Policies and Prevention Programs Committee. "This policy is consistent with the purposes of our system alcohol policy and with the efforts of the National Collegiate Athletic Association to reduce the emphasis on alcohol at intercollegiate athletic events."

The CSU system believes that students under the influence of alcohol cannot perform at their full potential. The policy recognizes that abuse of alcohol in any form detracts from the mission of the campus and does not make a positive contribution to the learning environment or to the public image of the institution.

The CSU Board of Trustees adopted a systemwide, comprehensive policy to curb student alcohol abuse at its 23 campus in July 2001. The policy, which was first in the country to be adopted by an entire university system, calls for consistent enforcement of polices, additional education on alcohol issues, intervention, treatment, a limit on alcohol vendor advertising, and $1.1 million in support funding from the CSU Chancellor's Office.

One of the key recommendations in the policy is the use of the social norms approach, which uses information campaigns to correct student misperceptions of peers' drinking habits. It also advocates for peer education programs through which students encourage their fellow students to develop responsible habits and attitudes regarding alcohol and related issues.

One of the keys to the policy's success is the flexibility provided to each of the 23 campuses to tailor an approach matching its unique campus situation, since each campus varies in size, student body makeup, local community, and residence provisions. The policy also provides for sharing of successful programs and a family of similar approaches. For instance, although campus variations exist, the majority of CSU students do not live on campus and are of legal drinking age, which requires a persuasive rather than a prohibitive approach.

The California State University is the largest system of senior higher education in the country, with 23 campuses, approximately 410,000 students and 44,000 faculty and staff. Since the system was created in 1961, it has awarded about 2 million degrees, about 84,000 annually. The CSU is renowned for the quality of its teaching and for the job-ready graduates it produces. Its mission is to provide high-quality, affordable education to meet the ever-changing needs of the people of California. With its commitment to excellence, diversity and innovation, the CSU is the university system that is working for California. See www.calstate.edu

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Re: Alcohol sales soon to be a thing of the past in Fresno

Glad to hear it. Their players are dangerous enough without alcohol on the field!

Big Dog Tech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really nice Tech09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    Glad to hear it. Their players are dangerous enough without alcohol on the field!
    Especially #44

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

This won't keep them from drinking I can assure you. They'll either down a few before going in or just bring it into the stadium. This is going to impact their game revenue more than the fans.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

I agree with the statements above about not stopping people from being intoxicated at events. All this will do is lesson the money available to these schools. You guys just don't realize the profit made by selling beer at games. You are looking at 400-500% or more. That is ALOT OF MONEY when you look at how much is sold. I guess that could be good for use though when Frezno has to cut their athletic budget because of lack of revenue.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I thought there was already an NCAA rule against alcoholic beverages being sold at college games.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

From an earlier post "Aloha to Alcohol"

OK, I was wrong. The NCAA only prohibits alcohol at championship games only.

31.1.15 Availability of Alcoholic Beverages. Alcoholic beverages shall not be sold or otherwise made available for public consumption at any championship event sponsored by or administered by the Association, nor shall any such beverages be brought to the site during the championship (i.e., during the period from the time access to the site is available to spectators until all patrons have left the facility or area used for competition).
    from the August 2005 NCAA handbook

According to Latechsports.com under Joe Aillet Stadium

Stadium Information
    · Alcoholic beverages at Joe Aillet Stadium are prohibited by state law.

and here is the only law I could find

§ 81. Location of business limited.....
    C. When prohibited by municipal or parish ordinance, no permit shall be granted for any premises situated within three hundred feet or less, as fixed by the ordinance, of a public playground or of a building used exclusively as a church or synagogue, public library, school, or full-time day care center as defined in R.S. 17:405(A)(4). In municipalities and in unincorporated areas, which are divided into subdivisions with streets, blocks, and sidewalks, this distance shall be measured as a person walks using the sidewalk from the nearest point of the property line of the church, synagogue, public library, public playground, school, or full-time day care center to the nearest point of the premises to be licensed.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN

Stadium Information
    · Alcoholic beverages at Joe Aillet Stadium are prohibited by state law.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

They will just have to start doing what I did when in college. Sometimes that coat looked a little suspicious in hot weather.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    They will just have to start doing what I did when in college. Sometimes that coat looked a little suspicious in hot weather.
    That's what CARGO shorts are for...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    That's what CARGO shorts are for...

We never had one problem getting a drink in there. Jagurmaster(sp?) shots right out of the bottle went a lot way. Ahhhhh Russian Cough Syrup.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Sometimes I think they are more worried about someone bringing in chicken strips from CANE's than they are underage drinking...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Sometimes I think they are more worried about someone bringing in chicken strips from CANE's than they are underage drinking...
    Of course, when I was at Tech, it was not considered underage drinking. That law changed about the time I turned 21. I never had to break the law. I can't imagine what it was like for a 20 year old that was already having a drink at clubs when that law changed.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Of course, when I was at Tech, it was not considered underage drinking. That law changed about the time I turned 21. I never had to break the law. I can't imagine what it was like for a 20 year old that was already having a drink at clubs when that law changed.
    The law changed Feb 1, 1996. (I know because that was the day my wife turned 21) I didn't turn 21 until April of that year. At the time I was running the family liquor store here in Shreveport and could purchase thousands of dollars of beer and liquor everyday. But I couldn't go to a bar and buy a Sharps N/A during those three months! THAT SUCKED!

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN
    The law changed Feb 1, 1996. (I know because that was the day my wife turned 21) I didn't turn 21 until April of that year. At the time I was running the family liquor store here in Shreveport and could purchase thousands of dollars of beer and liquor everyday. But I couldn't go to a bar and buy a Sharps N/A during those three months! THAT SUCKED!
    That was later than I realized. I get all that mixed up, though (I was probably drunk at the time). I moved to Lubbock Texas in around 1986. I had just turned 21. I remember it being still 18 in Louisiana when I moved. It had always been 21 in Texas. That must be what I am thinking of. If I had moved to Lubbock a year earlier, I would not have been able to buy a drink there.

Didn't the Federal Gov't force Louisiana to change the law - threatening Hwy. Funds?

+ Reply to Thread