View Poll Results: Should we have a forum on this site dedicated to fundraising efforts and projects?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 88.00%
  • No

3 12.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a fundraising section?

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Poll How about a fundraising section?

There has been some upgrades to the site and I have read people posts about we should do this or that to improve Tech athletics. People are afraid to give money to Tech because it usually goes to general athletics instead of to the cause or sport the people want it to. I read on a post the other day that BBB should purchase baby changing tables for some of the restrooms and put them at some of the athletic facilities. I think it would be best to have a section devoted to this, not so people can gripe and complain and get these good ideas lost in threads, but so we can get on the ball of trying to improve some things.

Administrator BBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really niceBBBAdmin is just really nice BBBAdmin's Avatar

Re: How about a fundraising section?

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    People are afraid to give money to Tech because it usually goes to general athletics
    From my understanding, if the money is designated for a certain purpose, i.e. - football recruiting, men's basketball, etc. it HAS to go to that purpose. The University Foundation, as a not-for-profit, has to be audited yearly by an outside company. So the key, when giving money to Tech, is to designate it if you don't want it to go to "general athletic expenses"

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Well I know in the past couple of years money given for the baseball team didn't get there. I'm sure it is on a thread somewhere here. Money from a wealthy alum was given to baseball and Oakes only gave them about half. Stuff got stirred up and they were given more money, but I don't think that they got all of it in the end that they were supposed to. And thats just one example that I know of. I know all about the foundation and alumni center and how it works. I worked there several years as a student worker, mailing out receipts to people stating what they had donated to and how much. But there has been cases like the one above.

The purpose of this thread is not to argue about where the money goes when it is donated to Tech, but to have a section on here that is dedicated to projects that BBB members want to raise money for.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

I don't have a problem with new forums. They are easy to set up. But what I DON'T want to do is to set up a forum just to have a forum. Having a forum with no posts in it doesn't accomplish much.

So I'm going ask our COMMUNITY: Do you want to have a forum specifically for fundraising efforts?

Chris

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

I'm also moving this thread to announcements to get some more traffic for it.

Chris

If they don't want a forum thats fine....I thought i would suggest it in the Suggestions forum. MchiganDawg stated the same thing after i posted this on another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    $240 plus shipping for these.

About $1300 plus installation plus whatever sign we want to have made and put with each of these. $1750-2000 will get this project done.

Dwayne want to start a thread/fundraiser? If you want to kick it off I am in for $75.00 to start it.

Martie

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

It's tough to know whether a forum will be visited or not. I didn't even know about the Blue forum until I accidently saw it a few days ago. We've never had trouble raising money when we need it and their is a "support BBB" button on the front page. But, this page could be used by coaches or whoever whenever they have a special need. We could have some sort of a press release. That would probably aggrivate the administration, but we get things done...plain and simple. So in conclusion, I don't think I'm gonna vote because I think eitherway it'll be alright.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I voted yes... then had a thought. Can we just place threads asking for fundraising in the annoucements forum?? I think that may be the best place for it. I have only been on this site for 8 months, so I don't know if I'm quite qualified enough to make GOOD recommendations because I don't know about how many projects we donate too.

My idea is to have a place where fundraisers can be put instead of spread throughout the sports threads. The "Tech to play on Ruston tennis courts" thread has gotten people to saying that we should buy changing tables to put in various restrooms. It's a good idea but it should be somewhere besides a tennis court thread....See what I am saying?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

If we do a fundraising section, we should send out letters to all the coaches of all the sports and let them know that the section exists. This way, when the admin. is low-balling them, they can come here and see what we can do for them. It's not our job and it shouldn't need to exist, but we are where we are. I think this would endear the coaches to BBB and they would at least know that they don't ALWAYS have to do without.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    I didn't even know about the Blue forum until I accidently saw it a few days ago.
    The Blue forum has been set up for a while, but I neglected to activate it. Now it is active. So don't feel bad, it wasn't live till Yesterday!

Chris

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

If we do a fundraising section, we should send out letters to all the coaches of all the sports and let them know that the section exists. This way, when the admin. is low-balling them, they can come here and see what we can do for them. It's not our job and it shouldn't need to exist, but we are where we are. I think this would endear the coaches to BBB and they would at least know that they don't ALWAYS have to do without.
    Good idea! Let's hope they will not be afraid to post on BB&B. It could be that the real nitty gritty stuff would need to get posted on a private/secure thread due to the bitching that would naturally follow certain needs. This whole thread idea for fundraising is super.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Good idea! Let's hope they will not be afraid to post on BB&B. It could be that the real nitty gritty stuff would need to get posted on a private/secure thread due to the bitching that would naturally follow certain needs. This whole thread idea for fundraising is super.
    They could PM administrators and not even need to post...surely we can figure out some way to have solid line of communication with all the coaches.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

They could PM administrators and not even need to post...surely we can figure out some way to have solid line of communication with all the coaches.
    Very true.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Have a BBB liason for each non-revenue sport.

+ Reply to Thread