+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can The Blue Crew do to get more students in the seats at the TAC?

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

What can The Blue Crew do to get more students in the seats at the TAC?

It may be short notice for this weekends games, but do ya'll know of anything to do? Can you paint yourselves up and stand in the Quad or Student center and Tolliver and remind people. I think something would be good. I haven't seen any signs around campus promoting the games.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: What can The Blue Crew do to get more students in the seats at the TAC?

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    It may be short notice for this weekends games, but do ya'll know of anything to do? Can you paint yourselves up and stand in the Quad or Student center and Tolliver and remind people. I think something would be good. I haven't seen any signs around campus promoting the games.
    Send weekly email blasts to ALL latech.edu web addresses.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

I believe athletics (Leah Beasley) already does that, but not all students and faculty use their latech.edu address. That's what sucks!

Is the Blue Crew an official club/organization on campus???

Puppy LiveBlueDieBlue is an unknown LiveBlueDieBlue's Avatar

Yes, "The Blue" is an official on campus organization. I have a few ideas to get more participation at games. As far as getting more people in the TAC for this Saturday’s game the only thing we have going for us is Time Out for Tech. Can anyone help me with the exact rules/penalties for having artificial noise makers, i.e. coins in a water bottle?

Well since you are an official organization, you should send out a batch email from the BLUE. I found where the batch email request is. http://www.latech.edu/webmaster/batc..._request.shtml
    It has to have a reply address from latech.edu. If ya'll don't have an organization email address you can probably get one. I still think standing in the studentcenter or quad and reminding students of the games is a good idea alont with sending batch emails that aren't just from athletics. If students know that other students are trying to get them to game it might help with attendance.

Puppy Sanbogdawg is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBlueDieBlue
    Yes, "The Blue" is an official on campus organization. I have a few ideas to get more participation at games. As far as getting more people in the TAC for this Saturday’s game the only thing we have going for us is Time Out for Tech. Can anyone help me with the exact rules/penalties for having artificial noise makers, i.e. coins in a water bottle?

In response to you're question about Noise makers:

"Rule 10-2-f: The definition of an administrative technical foul was expanded to include the use of artificial noisemakers during a live-ball situation and use of a laser pointer by a fan at any time. As with other administrative technical fouls, the penalty shall be charged to the team the offender supports, if that can be determined. The penalty is two free throws and possession of the ball to the offended team."

this is from the ncaa.org website rulebook, http://www.ncaa.org/releases/rules/1...99050701ru.htm

What is defined as an "artificial noisemaker" i don't know. But there you go!!!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Firedog:

In a thread several years ago I posted the info below in regards to basketball attendance. Most of it involved student attendance and how it contrasted with the late 1980s and early 1990s.. One of the ideas dealt with flyers in Ruston and the surrounding area, which has been mentioned already. However, if done right, I wanted to give you an idea of how effective it can be. Also, the beer party really did happen. It was a wild night in December, 1989.:

The simplest, yet most effective example I have seen on Tech's campus regarding advertising involved flyers. In February, 1989, our men's basketball team was fighting for wins in an effort to gain an at-large NCAA tournament berth, as the old ASC was in its infancy and had no automatic bid.

In our previous three home games, we had drawn just over 3,000 for a game with USL and just over 2,000 for a game with UNO. A non-conference game with McNeese, on an icy night drew 1,000 people.

Needing an idea as to how to attract a crowd for a big Saturday night game with
    ArkansasState, The Insider, who was SGA president at the time, came up with a flyer about the game. But instead of just passing it around campus, he burned up the SGA copy machine and another on campus, and basically made enough to cover every parking lot in and around Ruston.

The day before the game, 30-40 students put them on windshields until they were gone. The result: 6,647 saw the game, a 55-54 Tech win. Coach Eagles couldn't believe it had such a dramatic effect. He talked about it at-length on his coach's show.

In searching for tapes during that era, I came across the game against UL-Lafayette in 1991-92 and the MTSU game, which was on ESPN during the 89-90 season.

The Louisiana-Lafayette game drew 6,211, the tenth largest crowd for a men’s game at the TAC. The MTSU game drew about 4,500, but it was a 10:30 p.m.Midnight Madness” tip-off. For both games, the majority of the crowd was students. As a matter of fact, the student turnout was incredible.

We’ve had good student crowds at a handful of men’s games since then, but I don’t think any of them approached those others in numbers. Don’t get me wrong, I do love the intensity of our most avid student fans.

In asking a few people around campus what was different in those years, especially those games, several said that the student groups did a better job of communicating and organizing with each other and the athletic department. At least more so than today.

I was reminded that the promotions and activities surrounding those games was student driven. Getting the word out about a game and the activities that went along with it was much easier, because much of the student body was involved in some way. Their leaders had taken the responsibility for the success or failure of a particular promotion or the attendance at an event, whether it is a Dunkin’ Dawg or Lady Techster game. It got everyone involved.

I think our athletic department is trying to get the word out on campus by posting flyers, etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. But it would probably be more effective if efforts on campus were centered around getting 15-20 student leaders to come up with their own ideas and then follow through on the best of them.

The tapes are interesting to watch. The students in the red sections, every red section where there were students, stood the entire game. For both games, students filled the blue sections from the corner of the arena to the right of the band to past mid-court. Several students waived red Tech flags throughout the game. There was tons of confetti and shredded computer paper flying through the stands.

At one point, the broadcast crew from K62 in
    Lafayette, which I believe in now the UPN affiliate there, got hit with confetti. They talked at halftime about the great atmosphere and how great it was to be in the middle of it. The play-by-play man for ESPN called it a madhouse.

My campus contacts did have other memories about those games. One said he remembered a balloon drop before the UL-Lafayette game when hundreds of red and blue balloons were dropped from the rafters above the student section when Tech’s players were introduced. He remembered thinking “am I at a game or a political convention.”

He also remembered Jim Robken, who was in his first or second year at Tech, organizing a “sixth-man warm-up” before that game. With “Shout” from Animal House blaring over the P.A. system, he remembers what it was like to have thousands of students singing along to it.

For the MTSU game, several RA’s in Caruthers Dorm created an ESPN sign in white Christmas lights on the roof of the dorm. They borrowed a television camera from someone in
    Ruston who owned one. When the cameramen began to arrive at the arena hours before the game, the RA’s convinced one to go with them and shoot different things on campus, like the ESPN sign, the Lady of the Mist, and WylyTower. The ESPN sign made the telecast.

The most interesting story was also in relation to that MTSU game. Apparently some student group jokingly suggested a beer party before the game, not thinking it would ever be considered. Keith Prince and Paul Miller took it seriously, knowing it would help with turnout to a game that might not end until
    1 a.m. They had a beer truck parked inside the gates of Joe Aillet Stadium under the Press Box. For the pre-game party, anyone who could show a Tech ID along with a driver’s license showing they were 21 could pass through the gates and drink free beer. I don’t think Tech would allow that today, but I could be wrong.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian
    Firedog:

In a thread several years ago I posted the info below in regards to basketball attendance. Most of it involved student attendance and how it contrasted with the late 1980s and early 1990s.. One of the ideas dealt with flyers in Ruston and the surrounding area, which has been mentioned already. However, if done right, I wanted to give you an idea of how effective it can be. Also, the beer party really did happen. It was a wild night in December, 1989.:

The simplest, yet most effective example I have seen on Tech's campus regarding advertising involved flyers. In February, 1989, our men's basketball team was fighting for wins in an effort to gain an at-large NCAA tournament berth, as the old ASC was in its infancy and had no automatic bid.

In our previous three home games, we had drawn just over 3,000 for a game with USL and just over 2,000 for a game with UNO. A non-conference game with McNeese, on an icy night drew 1,000 people.

Needing an idea as to how to attract a crowd for a big Saturday night game with
    ArkansasState, The Insider, who was SGA president at the time, came up with a flyer about the game. But instead of just passing it around campus, he burned up the SGA copy machine and another on campus, and basically made enough to cover every parking lot in and around Ruston.

The day before the game, 30-40 students put them on windshields until they were gone. The result: 6,647 saw the game, a 55-54 Tech win. Coach Eagles couldn't believe it had such a dramatic effect. He talked about it at-length on his coach's show.

In searching for tapes during that era, I came across the game against UL-Lafayette in 1991-92 and the MTSU game, which was on ESPN during the 89-90 season.

The Louisiana-Lafayette game drew 6,211, the tenth largest crowd for a men’s game at the TAC. The MTSU game drew about 4,500, but it was a 10:30 p.m.Midnight Madness” tip-off. For both games, the majority of the crowd was students. As a matter of fact, the student turnout was incredible.

We’ve had good student crowds at a handful of men’s games since then, but I don’t think any of them approached those others in numbers. Don’t get me wrong, I do love the intensity of our most avid student fans.

In asking a few people around campus what was different in those years, especially those games, several said that the student groups did a better job of communicating and organizing with each other and the athletic department. At least more so than today.

I was reminded that the promotions and activities surrounding those games was student driven. Getting the word out about a game and the activities that went along with it was much easier, because much of the student body was involved in some way. Their leaders had taken the responsibility for the success or failure of a particular promotion or the attendance at an event, whether it is a Dunkin’ Dawg or Lady Techster game. It got everyone involved.

I think our athletic department is trying to get the word out on campus by posting flyers, etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. But it would probably be more effective if efforts on campus were centered around getting 15-20 student leaders to come up with their own ideas and then follow through on the best of them.

The tapes are interesting to watch. The students in the red sections, every red section where there were students, stood the entire game. For both games, students filled the blue sections from the corner of the arena to the right of the band to past mid-court. Several students waived red Tech flags throughout the game. There was tons of confetti and shredded computer paper flying through the stands.

At one point, the broadcast crew from K62 in
    Lafayette, which I believe in now the UPN affiliate there, got hit with confetti. They talked at halftime about the great atmosphere and how great it was to be in the middle of it. The play-by-play man for ESPN called it a madhouse.

My campus contacts did have other memories about those games. One said he remembered a balloon drop before the UL-Lafayette game when hundreds of red and blue balloons were dropped from the rafters above the student section when Tech’s players were introduced. He remembered thinking “am I at a game or a political convention.”

He also remembered Jim Robken, who was in his first or second year at Tech, organizing a “sixth-man warm-up” before that game. With “Shout” from Animal House blaring over the P.A. system, he remembers what it was like to have thousands of students singing along to it.

For the MTSU game, several RA’s in Caruthers Dorm created an ESPN sign in white Christmas lights on the roof of the dorm. They borrowed a television camera from someone in
    Ruston who owned one. When the cameramen began to arrive at the arena hours before the game, the RA’s convinced one to go with them and shoot different things on campus, like the ESPN sign, the Lady of the Mist, and WylyTower. The ESPN sign made the telecast.

The most interesting story was also in relation to that MTSU game. Apparently some student group jokingly suggested a beer party before the game, not thinking it would ever be considered. Keith Prince and Paul Miller took it seriously, knowing it would help with turnout to a game that might not end until
    1 a.m. They had a beer truck parked inside the gates of Joe Aillet Stadium under the Press Box. For the pre-game party, anyone who could show a Tech ID along with a driver’s license showing they were 21 could pass through the gates and drink free beer. I don’t think Tech would allow that today, but I could be wrong.
    I just got goose bumps reading that. I remember it and to read it now, it is like re-living it. WOW!

The amazing thing is how we have seen success and STILL don't repeat what we did. The Blue Crew is the key. I would love to see them step up to the challenge on this. A good practice would be to do some of these things for the Techster game on Saturday. They are playing a team that has beat them and that sits on top of the WAC right now. Practice with that one and then go for the gold with the next Dawg home game.

I would LOVE to see the TAC rockin when I drive up there on Saturday night.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian

And if you remember correct - the balloons contained PRIZES - slips of paper - some worth money as much as $100, others worth free gas and meals at various places around town...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

I remeber the "dawghouse" that they would roll out and if you lived in the dorms, you could come down and try your key. If it opened the door, you recieved a wal-mart bag of goodies. Most times there was a movie, cookies, alarm clarks, even tech t-shirts in them.

I think they did it at halftime right after the half-court shootour with rollover jackpot.

These are the type of promotions that make the games fun to go to. I was at the game Sat. night , my first of the year, and I thought that there was a lot of potential in that arena to put on a big time show. When this becomes the thing to do, then you don't have to have a 1st round NBA draft pick to draw a crowd, but it will always help.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Do folks know about this folder? I would think this thread would be packed with comments - even if it meant digging some of our ideas out of the archives.

I just happened to notice the folder the other day when I scrolled on down the page. We need more posters on this thread.

I think it is too far down for people to scroll and go to the BLUE section. Everyone was giving ideas on different threads on how to pack the tac, so i started this thread so we could put all ideas in one place.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    I think it is too far down for people to scroll and go to the BLUE section. Everyone was giving ideas on different threads on how to pack the tac, so i started this thread so we could put all ideas in one place.
    I've moved it up, to right below the sports forums.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan
    I've moved it up, to right below the sports forums.

Chris
    Thanks Chris!

+ Reply to Thread