+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Last night in the TAC!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Last night in the TAC!

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyDawg
    Anyway, the one issue I see at tech is that their is no barrier exist between the fans and the court.
    For Memphis Grizzlies games, the fans sit on the court. For Memphis Tiger games, the fans sit alongside the court behind a barrier. Probably a CUSA rule.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Even though he admitted the Winbush imitation might have been a little over the top, Louisiana Tech athletic director Jim Oakes said that he's in favor of promoting enthusiastic fan support.

"It's a nice problem to have because we've wanted to create more of a home-court atmosphere," Oakes said. "Our view here is anything goes as long as it is not vulgar or offensive. On the very rare occasion when a sign or something inappropriate may occur, our game management staff will correct the problem."
    One thing I can say for certain. JO does support rowdy fans, and has done so consistently. He has stood up to the blue hairs and even the campus police. Knowing how much he supports rowdiness, I'll even bet he made a call to whoever the governing body of officials is, and supported these guys.

By the way, did anybody see the sign that a girl was holding asking the little guy on our team to, "Do these titties"? Oakes did let them take that sign, but even then I could tell there was reticence to take the sign.

Kudos to Oakes.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I think a barrier is a good idea. As I posted on another thread, I think our guys being basically right on the court heightens the refs' sensitivities. If there were a barrier, I think we could get away with a whole lot more. I mean, the refs are closer to our fans (on that side) than they are to the players. That's gotta make them nervous...

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

How much would a barrier cost with BBB Logo on it???

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

The Tech Athletic Officals had the seats moved back about 8 mor inches at the last home game which really helped. It def give the refs more breathing room and it also give us more room to stand and not feel like we're going to be impeading on the game play. It's a great idea... we're constantly looking out for eachother... " dude, get back on the carpet. if you get on the floor they'll T us up!" ... that seems to ring out most of the game on the sidelines. Moving the seats back helped alot...

Oh yeah, Mad props to Jim Oaks!!

"T"

Varsity Bulldog Bluebird has turned a few heads around hereBluebird has turned a few heads around hereBluebird has turned a few heads around here

All this talk makes me reminisce about the good old days in Memorial Gym--when bleacher seating put everyone in the lower level up close to the floor! Some great games there--intense atmosphere!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird
    All this talk makes me reminisce about the good old days in Memorial Gym--when bleacher seating put everyone in the lower level up close to the floor! Some great games there--intense atmosphere!
    Remember the packed games with everyone stomping those wooden bleachers at the same time? WOW! Talk about intimidating! We used to clap and stomp in unison until the other team scored their first points.

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird

Speaking of.... We had this crazy idea the other day.... what about a retro weekend? One weekend with the guys and girls playing at home where they wear throwback jerseys and play in Memorial...? You think it would fly?

"T"

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T
    Speaking of.... We had this crazy idea the other day.... what about a retro weekend? One weekend with the guys and girls playing at home where they wear throwback jerseys and play in Memorial...? You think it would fly?

"T"
    We talked about doing that on here a year or so ago. I love the idea!

Varsity Bulldog Bluebird has turned a few heads around hereBluebird has turned a few heads around hereBluebird has turned a few heads around here

Great idea! Count me, a former wooden-bleacher-stomper, in!

Nothing beat that atmosphere.

My family often served as the hosts for visiting teams back when we used to have the Dial Classic tournament at Tech. I remember the coaches and players from those teams ALWAYS commenting on how intimidating it was to have to play in Memorial Gym!

The Techsters used to run in to the music from "Rocky".

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I'm afraid the PR on that would be tough. Might look like we were crawling back into our "low major" hole... JMO

I'll see who I can get in touch with in the AD's office and see if I can get any support for this idea..

"T"

I think you could bill it as "RETURN TO TECHSTER DAY" To do this on the Techster's 25th anniversery would have been perfect. We missed that, but we are under a new era now. We would pack that place. It would sell out and we could put a big screen outside for everyone that couldn't get in.

How many does the old gym hold?

"T"

+ Reply to Thread