+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Thumbs Up Long

I was a little worried when we first hired Long but had confidence that Tech wouldn't make the same mistake twice (Mulkey) I just read this off of the media guide and this with the recent return to top 25 I have full confidence that the Techsters will be back in the top 5 within a few years and making a run for the title. Here's a small snippet that impressed me....

" During his six years at Tech, six of the Lady Techter post players that Long worked with have been selected in the WNBA Draft, including 2003 WNBA Rookie of the Year Cheryl Ford. Long was instrumental in the development of all of these players, including both Ford and Amisha Carter (2004 2nd round New York Liberty), both of who were named Western Athletic Conference Players of the Year.
    In addition to Carter and Ford, Long worked closely with Trina Frierson (2004 second round Seattle Storm) who was a 2003-04 Naismith Player of the Year finalists, and Ayana Walker (2002 second round Detroit Shock), who was a 2001-02 Kodak All-District selection. Long took a one year hiatus from the Tech post players to coach the Lady Techster guards in 2001-02, a group which included Brooke Lassiter, who ended her career as the NCAA's all-time leader in free throw percentage, Amber Obaze, who was named 2nd team All-Western Athletic Conference and to the league's all-defensive squad. That year Tech led the WAC in assist to turnover ratio."

Everything he's touch has turned to gold and now that he has the whole team in his hand with great assistant staff only great things are going to come.

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Long

Is Brooke still the all-time leader in FT% and does anybody know what her final % was?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Beaz17
    Is Brooke still the all-time leader in FT% and does anybody know what her final % was?
    I think she still holds it. Don't know what the final percentage was, though. Didn't Sides hold it for a while too?

As for Long, he DEFINITELY was the right choice. He understands the tradition and has all the coaching tools to get them back. I am VERY pleased with him.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    As for Long, he DEFINITELY was the right choice. He understands the tradition and has all the coaching tools to get them back. I am VERY pleased with him.
    Does he take away their meal cards if they put on weight??

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    If so, I might volunteer for him to coach me for a while. :icon_wink

Varsity Bulldog gonzajo71 is an unknown

As for Long, he DEFINITELY was the right choice. He understands the tradition and has all the coaching tools to get them back. I am VERY pleased with him.[/quote]

I echo those sentiments. I think he has the goods to be a great one. He's on the right track with everything. Scheduling, recruiting, etc. I say 3 more years, and we'll be top 10 again.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzajo71

I echo those sentiments. I think he has the goods to be a great one. He's on the right track with everything. Scheduling, recruiting, etc. I say 3 more years, and we'll be top 10 again.[/quote]

I spoke with someone in the program and they stated that Long reminds them a LOT of Barmore with his knowledge and coaching skills. The girls really look up to him and trust him.

From my observations, this is true - however, his temper is not as bad. He takes every opportunity to teach those players, though. That is true coaching. Did you see some of the time outs last night? We were way ahead and you could see him really teaching on the sidelines. Even the Nevada announcers commented on it.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

If we could win out this season we would start next season in the top 10 (and would be national champs).

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I echo those sentiments. I think he has the goods to be a great one. He's on the right track with everything. Scheduling, recruiting, etc. I say 3 more years, and we'll be top 10 again.
    I spoke with someone in the program and they stated that Long reminds them a LOT of Barmore with his knowledge and coaching skills. The girls really look up to him and trust him.

From my observations, this is true - however, his temper is not as bad. He takes every opportunity to teach those players, though. That is true coaching. Did you see some of the time outs last night? We were way ahead and you could see him really teaching on the sidelines. Even the Nevada announcers commented on it.[/quote]

I have thought the same thing. I think he's little Leon !!

Question: Is Leon still semi-involved with the team ? I know that he and Chris are close.

I have thought the same thing. I think he's little Leon !!

Question: Is Leon still semi-involved with the team ? I know that he and Chris are close.
    Don't know how much, but yes, he is involved. I think he and Chris talk a lot.

Varsity Bulldog Bluebird has turned a few heads around hereBluebird has turned a few heads around hereBluebird has turned a few heads around here

Unlike Kurt Budke, Chris Long has the good sense to use the best resource available to him--and actually talks to Leon Barmore! Novel concept, eh? :icon_wink

He also "gets it" that, in order to build a program and to keep it functioning, one must recruit high school kids--and not just JUCO transfers (the Budke approach).

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

In Budke's defense, he had only really coached Jucos before, so I guess he figured he just should stick with what he knew.

In reality, I think it sort of shows that he had "short-timer's" from the beginning. He wasn't looking very far down the road when he was recruiting.

Speaking of recruiting. Do we have any news on any other spring signees other than the young lady from Alabama, and the guard, I think from Ms. ? Hopefully we can get another Post. Preferably a banger, 6-3 or more.

Speaking of recruiting. Do we have any news on any other spring signees other than the young lady from Alabama, and the guard, I think from Ms. ? Hopefully we can get another Post. Preferably a banger, 6-3 or more.
    Recruiting stands still this time of year. It will be Spring before we hear more news, I am sure.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Is that why so many Techsters were asking me to buy them meals?? They always told me that they "ran out of funds".

+ Reply to Thread