+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Why does...

Quote Originally Posted by solo1001
    You live in Houston, why do you care so much what happens to LSUS?
    Because we all have ties to Louisiana and want what is best for our family, friends, and alma mater who had to stay behind.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

You live in Houston, why do you care so much what happens to LSUS? Why do people on this board have such a vendetta against Shreveport?
    I will not dignify your question with an answer. If you don't know the answer, Louisiana's next generation will let it slip further that those that preceeded it.

If you think NAIA sports that cost $1,000,000 annually is good for Shreveport and the taxpayers of Louisiana, the state's future is surely in jeopardy!

It is not the mission of a publicly-funded school like LSUS or LSUA or BPCC or Vo-Tech to establish an athletic department so that marginal athletes can continue their exploits at the "next level." The mandate of a commuter school is to educate kids so they can go out and get a job that pays a good wage!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    The mandate of a commuter school is to educate kids so they can go out and get a job that pays a good wage!
    What is your response to those that consider Tech a commuter school then? Believe it or not thats what quite a few people say about this place. How do you address that?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

What is your response to those that consider Tech a commuter school then? Believe it or not thats what quite a few people say about this place. How do you address that?
    Suitcase college, not commuter school.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

point taken but I've heard it described as both.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Another silly question...you know that the charters for TECH and LSUS are nothing alike!

I will not dignify your question with an answer. If you don't know the answer, Louisiana's next generation will let it slip further that those that preceeded it.
    Ok don't dignify it with a response, thats fine, stupid question on my part. Seriously though do you just look for things to bitch about? LSUS? I understand that you think the money could be used elsewhere but why did you even think of it? Was there an article in the Chronicle about their program? I only ask because I really don't think that people even think about LSUS and athletics as it relates to Louisiana. The arguement just seems like such a petty thing to bring up.

Varsity Bulldog Bluedawg has turned a few heads around hereBluedawg has turned a few heads around here

Let me step in the pile. Cartek's points are valid. The very fact that LSUS has an athletic program that is not self-funded speaks to the stupidity of how things are done in Louisiana.

It is bad business. But it sooths the savage parochial beast that lives in the body politic of every nook and cranny of North Louisiana.

A brief biography...I grew up in north Caddo Parish and still have family and friends in that area. I love the Red River bottoms and often sit on my deck in Kingwood (especially this time of year...it is cool) and remember the many nights I spent "chasing" around the bottoms! But I love Louisiana...north and south...NOLA to Frog Level!

I read The Times online every day...every day. I read the RDL every time it is updated. I even read the NewsStar every now and then. Thus, I am pretty damned familiar with what goes on in North Louisiana.

Louisiana is talking about budget cuts and canceling offshore lease sales because it is cash strapped. Then I read an article in The Times about college basketball at LSUS! That's not looking for something to bitch about...that's the bitch hitting you in the face with a shitty mop!

Until Louisiana learns that the populist movement of Huey Long was a bad idea and starts to clamp down on all the holes in the dike, Louisiana will not be the state it could or should be. It will have a high poverty level and corrupt politicians.

As long as people think its OK for LSUS to have an athletic program so some kid that couldn't play or make his grades (or worse still was homesick for Shreveport) at TECH or NLU or Tulsa can have a "college career," Louisiana is doomed to the crumbs and not the cake! That may be enough for some folks, but it ain't for me.

Varsity Bulldog scubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nicescubbdog is just really nice scubbdog's Avatar

Maybe someone can help me out here. Is LSUS supported directly by the state or the LSU system? Is there a difference?

Either way I'm not going to tell LSUS that they shouldn't have sports. I understand why some of you dislike the idea and I can respect that. Since this is a (mainly) sports website I understand the tirade against waisted money. However I have to believe that there are far larger holes that need to be filled before the state worries about money going to some NAIA team in the Northwest corner of the state.

By the way Cartek, where are you from and do you still have family up that way?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    I not really sure Tech is a student friendly school for traditional or non-traditional students. At least it is subject to debate or at least should be subject to debate.
    Here, here. Wasn't friendly when I was there, and my brother had many of the same complaints I had. My youngest two brothers and sister (I'm the oldest of five) chose LSU-S because the school is much more "friendly".

But, I did take a few classes at Barksdale and thought the atmosphere there was terrific.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Who's the moron?
    you are, biotch!

theprofessor

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Where did you get your $1,000,000 figure from? From what I can dig up, LSUS actually turns a profit off of their athletic program.

Done right, athletic programs are good fundraisers for a school. That sounds like a good reason to me.

This thread is starting to make us sound like LSU fans...

Quote Originally Posted by scubbdog
    By the way Cartek, where are you from and do you still have family up that way?
    Vivian...all I have left for family live in north Shreveport. Many friends though.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    you are, biotch!

theprofessor
    You've obviously been looking in the mirror again!

+ Reply to Thread