+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does...

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Why does...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96
    Where did you get your $1,000,000 figure from? From what I can dig up, LSUS actually turns a profit off of their athletic program.

Done right, athletic programs are good fundraisers for a school. That sounds like a good reason to me.

This thread is starting to make us sound like LSU fans...
    Pulled up their budget and did some easy math.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scubbdog
    Either way I'm not going to tell LSUS that they shouldn't have sports....However I have to believe that there are far larger holes that need to be filled before the state worries about money going to some NAIA team in the Northwest corner of the state.
    ...and that's precisely the problem! You must start somewhere...why not $1,000,000 at LSUS?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    Vivian...all I have left for family live in north Shreveport. Many friends though.
    You've made friends?? I find that very hard to believe!

Just kidding.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

The problem is the watering down of athletics in north Louisiana and around the state that prevents Tech from being what it should be. Promises were made to Tech when LSU-S was founded, and those promises have been broken.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Who are you to judge who can and who can't have sports. Get off your God complex and come back to the real world. People in Shreveport support LSUS in Sports. The programs have good crowds at all games. The players are usuually very nice and eager to please thier fellow students. So lay off and go bitch about something you know. P.S. You couldn't handle me at ten steps:icon_wink

Hell, let's get pistols and pace of 10 steps!

The moron is you...commuters schools...no commuter school should budget money for athletics, period. The charter for LSUS and other similar schools did not anticipate and should not support these types of expenditures.

Rankings do not matter...it is a commuter school.

You being a petitioner certainly does not matter...it is a commuter school.

It doesn't surprise me that you believe there is a right for some to play college sports. Who's the moron?

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody cares!!

A brief biography...I grew up in north Caddo Parish and still have family and friends in that area. I love the Red River bottoms and often sit on my deck in Kingwood (especially this time of year...it is cool) and remember the many nights I spent "chasing" around the bottoms! But I love Louisiana...north and south...NOLA to Frog Level!

I read The Times online every day...every day. I read the RDL every time it is updated. I even read the NewsStar every now and then. Thus, I am pretty damned familiar with what goes on in North Louisiana.

Louisiana is talking about budget cuts and canceling offshore lease sales because it is cash strapped. Then I read an article in The Times about college basketball at LSUS! That's not looking for something to bitch about...that's the bitch hitting you in the face with a shitty mop!

Until Louisiana learns that the populist movement of Huey Long was a bad idea and starts to clamp down on all the holes in the dike, Louisiana will not be the state it could or should be. It will have a high poverty level and corrupt politicians.

As long as people think its OK for LSUS to have an athletic program so some kid that couldn't play or make his grades (or worse still was homesick for Shreveport) at TECH or NLU or Tulsa can have a "college career," Louisiana is doomed to the crumbs and not the cake! That may be enough for some folks, but it ain't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    The problem is the watering down of athletics in north Louisiana and around the state that prevents Tech from being what it should be. Promises were made to Tech when LSU-S was founded, and those promises have been broken.
    You snooze you lose. Tech has had the oppurtunity to make Shreveport its own. Who are you to judge whether or not a school IN Shreveport can have fans and a small athletic program. I say go Pilots!!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I agree with Cartek here...if the state is funding sports for LSUS, LSUE, ect...it's a huge waste of money...and it will hurt Tech in the long run because our belt will be tightened all the more.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

I don't care if it hurts Tech. We are not the only school in North Louisiana. We have no right to judge or decide who can and cannot have athletics. This is why people in Shreveport, and Monroe hate us. I think we should get off our high horse and try to make our program better and not try and tear down other schools programs. Grow up, green is not a good color for you guys. The students deserve to have a team to root for just as much as us. I loved LSUS when I was there because they made something out of nothing. Tech has all the oppurtunities in the world and rarely uses it. Stop hating on other schools and start pushing Tech. Quit being so arrogant.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

If any school is limiting Tech's opportunities, it's not the LSU in Shreveport.

Added in edit: With all the LSU-haters on this board, I get a red dot for this?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG
    I don't care if it hurts Tech. We are not the only school in North Louisiana. We have no right to judge or decide who can and cannot have athletics. This is why people in Shreveport, and Monroe hate us. I think we should get off our high horse and try to make our program better and not try and tear down other schools programs. Grow up, green is not a good color for you guys. The students deserve to have a team to root for just as much as us. I loved LSUS when I was there because they made something out of nothing. Tech has all the oppurtunities in the world and rarely uses it. Stop hating on other schools and start pushing Tech. Quit being so arrogant.
    Ummmmm...WRONG! If my tax dollars are going to build athletics programs for little commuter schools, I've got every right to judge it. If those other schools think I'm on a high horse...so be it. I really couldn't care less.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

people -- we've had this argument three times now!

get over the fact that lsus has an athletic program. like some on this thread have stated, they are not our competition!

we aren't competing against them for athletes, and we aren't competing against them for fans. goodness gracious, we have enough internal problems to worry about than a freakin' naia school.

theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    we aren't competing against them for athletes, and we aren't competing against them for fans.
    Perhaps, but we certainly could be competing with them for dollars which are very important...especially right now.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    people -- we've had this argument three times now!

get over the fact that lsus has an athletic program. like some on this thread have stated, they are not our competition!

we aren't competing against them for athletes, and we aren't competing against them for fans. goodness gracious, we have enough internal problems to worry about than a freakin' naia school.

theprofessor
    It's not about competition; it's about money...your money...your kid's money!

I think we all pretty much agree that Louisiana has as many as 3 too many 4 year schools (i.e., Nicholls, SLU, LSUA) and some 2 year schools that should be paired back or closed (e.g., SUSB, LSUE). If you can recognize that there are too many facilities vying for much of the same money, how is it that you don't acknowledge wasteful expenditures at some universities?

LSUA owns a money-losing golf course.

LSUS has a $1MM athletic program that incurs no scholarship, utility, or admin support costs...yeah, right.

...and don't look at the 2001 Master Plan for Post-Secondary Education...there's more branches of Louisiana Technical College than Taco Bell!

All of this costs money...lots of money.

Louisiana needs to get a real plan and implement it...otherwise, it will always have less, get ;less, keep less, and complain most!
    Last edited by CARTEK; 02-09-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I just cant believe all of these satellite colleges are getting money for athletics and to become four years. I live in Alexandria, and I cannot believe "A" is four years now. It is ridiculous. BRCC has all sorts of new stuff that makes it look better than Tech. This is ridiculous. We have trouble with money and can barely maintain our big colleges, but yet we give money to satellite schools? That doesnt make much sense and as a taxpayer it pisses me off. When I leave LA, it wont be easy, but I sure wont miss my tax money going down the shitter.

+ Reply to Thread