Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

In response to conflicts with the game Wednesday night (UnionBoard Kenell Night, and Intramural Championships), I wrote a letter to Jim Oakes, Bobby Dowling, The Director of the Intramural Center, The President of UnionBoard and their person in charge of "Special Events", Ronnie Walker, The Alumni President, and The Tech Talk. I also put this in the thread in Basketball about the game, but I think it got buried in the second page of the thread, so I thought I would make a thread regarding the letter. Here's the Letter:

To Whom it May Concern,
    I am under the understanding that Intramural Championships were Wednesday night. Out of curiosity, I would like to know why the Intramural Center would schedule an event the same night as a Men's Basketball game? As I am sure you are aware, our attendance at home games leaves much to be desired and we could use all the help we can get getting fans in the seats. An event being scheduled the same night as an athletic event does not encourage student involvement in athletic events.

I am also under the understanding that Union Board scheduled Kennel Night for Wednesday night. As for the Intramural Center, I would like to know why Union Board would schedule an event the same night as a Basketball Game. I understand that the reason might have been to give students another activity for Wednesday night. But, with Union Board being a student led organization, it appears as if Union Board does not support athletics when scheduling such events the same night as a basketball game. When such an organization is student led, they should be all about supporting their peers. Many of our peers do not even know who Paul Milsap is, this is sad, considering he is on his way to being the only person in NCAA history to be the three time NCAA rebounding champion.

All this being said, I would like to recommend better communications between organizations from here on out. As a leader in an athletic support organization on campus known as "The Blue", I want to see as many students in the seats of the TAC. Such events as what we saw Wednesday night prevent maximizing the number of students in the seats of the TAC. Along with better communications between organizations, many students are totally unaware of athletic events. Their is nearly zero promotions on campus for athletic events being held. How do we expect to see students at games, unless they know about them?

Sincerely,
    Jonathan Ford

JFord
    Last edited by jford; 02-09-2006 at 02:35 PM.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

Excellent note there JFord. Be sure and let us know if you receive a response from anyone.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I have received response already from nearly every party except UnionBoard...at work now, will work up a tidy list of the responses....

JFord

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I really don't know what Ronny Ward would want with a letter like that. Now Ronny Walker might want to take a look at it. I know that he's been frustrated that we can't pack the TAC. Check your Ronny's!!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Send it to the marketing director!!
    Last edited by Cool Hand Clyde; 02-09-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jford
    I have received response already from nearly every party except UnionBoard...at work now, will work up a tidy list of the responses....

JFord
    A well-written letter that SHOULD be in The Tech Talk.
    Excellent campus leadership being shown by the Blue.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Good job, JFord!!!

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Great letter. I doubt Union Board will change. Hopefully this will stir better support throughout the groups and Union Board will focus more on athletic events.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

I'm sure I'll get completely blasted by this, but maybe not all students want go to the basketball games. Jford, I know you stated that in your letter (re: giving students other options), but I really don't think it would be wise to promote making basketball the only thing students can do on any given night. I commend The Blue on their efforts, but I hope y'all understand that not everyone shares your love and support for the game and the team, and asking campus officials to reschedule events or schedule them around athletic events (and if they do it) is only going to anger the students who could care less about sports.

I doubt having a UB kennel night, which when I was at Tech maybe might have drawn 50 people, and besides, the people who go to those types of things most likely don't have any interest in going to a game. What about all the religious organizations who meet on Thursdays (or has that changed)? I remember TNT or Common Ground, whatever it's called now, used to be at 7 on Thursdays. Should we ask them to rearrange their schedules, too?

I'll admit, I'm not a baseball fan, never have and probably never will be. I think I attended two games in the four years I was there, not because I didn't want to support my team, but because I simply don't enjoy baseball.

I hope this isn't taken as negative feelings toward The Blue and it's efforts, but I just want to defend these organizations and say that not everyone is a sports enthusiast and asking other campus organizations to plan around athletic events is not the way to improve attendance and build spirit.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I'd have to agree with '03, don't worry about fighting each other for fans worry about the ones who didn't do anything Wed. night. More publicity would help more than stopping all other events. Also Wed. night is a weird night for a game so most likely these things had been scheduled back at the beginning of the quarter and nobody thought to double check to see if there was a game that night since it was a Wednesday night. If it had been a Thursday or Saturday game i'd be 100% behind you but sometimes shit happens and things overlap.

Responses from the letter:

We regularly avoid basketball games held on campus from conflicting with our events. Due to the number of games this week ie: Wednesday and Thursday, we could not avoid both. We needed to finish this week to allow students the opportunity to study for finals without the interruption of intramural basketball games. This was a big complaint with football in the Fall. We do not have games tonight that will interfere with the Lady Techsters. This is the best we can do to avoid conflicts.

Bobby Dowling
    Assistant Director of Recreation

Thanks for your note. Certainly agree with you about the need to avoid conflicts with home athletic events. We need all the help we can get with encouraging student attendance at home games. You and other members of the blue have been great in your support. That is so important to our home teams. We have had numerous promotions \ give aways \ contests this season all targeted at Tech students. Hope to do more in the future as our budget increases. Thanks again for your loyal support. Jim (Jim Oakes)

Great letter…thanks for your help in getting more people to the games. - Ronnie Walker

You guys are awesome, Jonathon! I asked why the student crowd was a
    little lower than normal, and my co-worker Adam Choate said that there
    were two big campus events scheduled...I couldn't believe that! Thanks
    so much for sending that letter and for all the spirit and support that
    you guys generate around campus. You make our jobs a lot easier and
    the games more energetic!

Thanks! Leah (Athletic Dept)

I hope to see responses from UnionBoard, but I'm not real sure if I will.

Thank you bulldawg03 and GermDawg for your opinions, it is always good to see both sides, and I did consider both sides before sending the letter. But my main "beefs" is that no one seems to care that our Men are playing so well, promotions for our university are horrible, and communication is also horrible.

JFord

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

I think jford's best point is the fact that no one is promoting the basketball games. I think you did a great thing jford!

If that's all Ronny Walker said then that's pretty lame.....and tell Oakes that his student promotions won't work well if there is no signage out there promoting the games on campus! A lot of Tech students don't use their Tech email, therefore, they don't get the emails about games.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03
    I'm sure I'll get completely blasted by this, but maybe not all students want go to the basketball games. Jford, I know you stated that in your letter (re: giving students other options), but I really don't think it would be wise to promote making basketball the only thing students can do on any given night. I commend The Blue on their efforts, but I hope y'all understand that not everyone shares your love and support for the game and the team, and asking campus officials to reschedule events or schedule them around athletic events (and if they do it) is only going to anger the students who could care less about sports.

I doubt having a UB kennel night, which when I was at Tech maybe might have drawn 50 people, and besides, the people who go to those types of things most likely don't have any interest in going to a game. What about all the religious organizations who meet on Thursdays (or has that changed)? I remember TNT or Common Ground, whatever it's called now, used to be at 7 on Thursdays. Should we ask them to rearrange their schedules, too?

I'll admit, I'm not a baseball fan, never have and probably never will be. I think I attended two games in the four years I was there, not because I didn't want to support my team, but because I simply don't enjoy baseball.

I hope this isn't taken as negative feelings toward The Blue and it's efforts, but I just want to defend these organizations and say that not everyone is a sports enthusiast and asking other campus organizations to plan around athletic events is not the way to improve attendance and build spirit.
    With thoughts like that, we will never move athletics forward.

Great letter Ford. Keep fighting the fight.

There MUST be communication on campus. There are only 11 - 15 home basketball games each year for Mean and 13 - 17 at home each year for Women. Should not be that big a deal to coordinate schedules. Lame response from most of the parties involved. The correct response will be that it will not happen again - PERIOD.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    With thoughts like that, we will never move athletics forward.

Great letter Ford. Keep fighting the fight.

There MUST be communication on campus. There are only 11 - 15 home basketball games each year for Mean and 13 - 17 at home each year for Women. Should not be that big a deal to coordinate schedules. Lame response from most of the parties involved. The correct response will be that it will not happen again - PERIOD.
    I agree Martie...it's not about forcing students to come see a game (which is total BS...Ruston is not a black hole and anyone who wants to do anything can drive to Monroe/Shreveport or even Dallas)...this is about the University showing whole hearted support for the activity that is going to make it the most money and therefore improve the University the most. I was on leadership council at the BCM and it burned me up when we would schedule things on game nights...I would usually skip out and go to the game. The problem with our athletic department is that not all involved parties have the same goal...what JFord has pointed out is just further evidence that the problem exists far beyond just the Athletic department. Once again, good job JFord...keep on keepin' on.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Closed Thread